Taking Laptops and other electronic devices

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:26 AM.
St John's, Newfoundland,Canada
111 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Hi

We are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if most people taking their laptops & cameras with them pack them in checked baggage or put therm in their carry on bags. We are flying to the port.

I know that airline baggage handlers are not exactly gentle with baggage but how about when boarding the cruise ship?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sherman

Past Cruises

Norwegian Breakaway - Bermuda - June 2014
Carnival Splendor - Eastern Caribbean - July 2013 (My first cruise!)
Boca Raton, FL
508 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I don't know about everyone else but I always carry my netbook and camera in my backpack. The backpack is carry-on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Padraic

SoCal
10,013 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by swim25
Hi

We are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if most people taking their laptops & cameras with them pack them in checked baggage or put therm in their carry on bags. We are flying to the port.

I know that airline baggage handlers are not exactly gentle with baggage but how about when boarding the cruise ship?
Keep your electronics and valuables with you in your carryon. Checked bags can be handled pretty roughly getting on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLHAL CarnivalPrincess Vantage
19 Cruises, 11 ships, 194 nights

1,566 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Hi

All expensive electronic gear should ALWAYS go into carry on bags. Airlines explicitly disclaim any financial responsibility for damaged, lost, stolen computers, cameras, etc. Guess what gets stolen with some frequency from checked bags? Computers? Cameras? ding ding ding

Once your electronic gear is in your carry on bag for flying, just continue to carry it onto the ship. No worries.
1,380 Posts
Joined May 2008
Carry on all the time.
***Be prepared with a canvas bag of some sort at the airport if by chance you have to check your carry on because they are filled up. (this has happened to me) I made sure I had all my electronics out of that bag and into a canvas bag before handing over my carry-on***

Best of Luck
Michigan
6,887 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Hi

Always in a carryon within our control.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Warm Breezes

Cruise History Summary: 16 Cruises, 93 Nights, 13 Ships, 4 Cruise Lines, 20 Ports of Call, 6 Embarkation Ports
Norwegian Escape Sept. 2017 - 7 Night Eastern...oops Irma says Western, Carnival Sunshine Oct. 2016 - 5 Night Canada, Carnival Dream May 2016 - 7 Night Western, Carnival Splendor April 2015 - 7 Night Eastern, Ruby Princess March 2014 - 5 Night Western, Norwegian Jewel Oct. 2013 - 7 Night Western, Carnival Freedom Aug. 2013 - 6 Night Western, Norwegian Epic Dec 2011 - 7 Night Eastern, Carnival Glory July 2011 - 5 Night Canada, Carnival Destiny Nov. 2010 - 4 Night Western, Carnival Freedom July 2009 - 8 Night Eastern, Norwegian Jewel Nov. 2007 - 5 Night Western, Carnival Elation Dec. 2006 - 5 Night Eastern, Carnival Inspiration Nov. 2005 - 5 Night Western, Disney Magic June 2004 -7 Night Eastern, Disney Wonder Nov. 2001 - 3 Night Bahamas
Fredericksburg, va. USA
83,795 Posts
Joined May 2001
ANYTHING of value should be IN YOUR POSSESSION! Do NOT check valuables! Ever! Any other bags you do check, should always be locked. Always.
MA
44 Posts
Joined May 2009
always in the carry-on, and always by my side (or that of someone I'm traveling with) until I can bring it to the room
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

past cruises:
NCL Majesty - Bermuda 06/99
NCL Majesty - Bermuda 7/01
NCL Majesty - Bermuda 08/03
Sapphire Princess - Alaska 06/05
Caribbean Princess - Western Caribbean 06/10/07
HAL Noordam - Mediterranean Enchantment 07/18/09
NCL Dawn - Bermuda 08/02/13
HAL Veendam - Western Caribbean 3/13/16

upcoming cruises:
NCL Pride of America - Hawaii 7/22/17
The Big Tomato; i.e. Sacramento CA
7,412 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
As everyone has posted, NEVER put anything like that in your checked luggage. You probably wouldn't put your expensive jewelry in your checked bags, your laptop isn't any different.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Golden Princess - 07.21.15 Back to Alaska
Grand Princess - 04.13.14 Hawaii (b2b)
Grand Princess - 04.06.14 Calif Coastal (b2b)
Sea Princess - 06.02.12 Alaska
Sea Princess - 05.07.10 Panama Canal
Emerald Princess - 04.19.09 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - 03.02.08 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - 10.21.06 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Star - 06.04.05 Hawaiian Isls, Fanning Island
flushing, ny
6,020 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
In my case, at first I carried my big laptop with me. Later on, I replaced that with a small netbook. Nowadays, I find that my smartphone is sufficient for all my 'electronic' needs, and frees me from being encumbered with the other stuff.
Unless you have to do a lot of work while you're cruising (), I think a smartphone should be sufficient for most....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
getting there is half the fun!
coming back is the other half!
3,523 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by bob brown
In my case, at first I carried my big laptop with me. Later on, I replaced that with a small netbook. Nowadays, I find that my smartphone is sufficient for all my 'electronic' needs, and frees me from being encumbered with the other stuff.
Unless you have to do a lot of work while you're cruising (), I think a smartphone should be sufficient for most....
Not if you're an avid photographer that takes 200 / 300 photos a day. I take my netbook and also a small portable hard drive to back up my pics every day.

Smartphone is used to send an occasional text home - "Having fun. Bye." Then it's put in airplane mode and turned off and put in the safe.

All of this stuff is carried in my backpack which is my "personal item" on the plane.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alaska & Caribbean photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky46/page1/

South Central PA
2,021 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by SadieN
Money, electronics, medicines and at least one change of underwear should be in your carryon.
Don't forget a bathing suit! My kids were mad when we did not do this on our last cruise. They wanted to go swimming right away, and we put all bathing suits in the checked luggage!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past sailings:
Allure of the Seas 7 night Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale; November 2014
Independence of the Seas 8 night Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale; January 2014
Jewel of the Seas 7 night Southern Caribbean from San Juan; November 2013
Adventure of the Seas 7 night Southern Caribbean from San Juan; February 2013
Disney Magic 7 night Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral; March 2012
Liberty of the Seas 8 night Eastern Caribbean from Miami; February 2011
Freedom of the Seas 7 night Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral; February 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 5 night Bermuda from Baltimore; July 2009
Mariner of the Seas 7 night Mexican Riviera from San Pedro, CA; March 2009
Explorer of the Seas 9 night Canada/New England from Cape Liberty, NJ; July 2008
Nordic Empress 4 night Nassau/Freeport from Miami; November 1993