Budapest-metro/tram schedules

Osnab

I am trying to see if it is feasible to train the underground or a tram to some of the places I want to see pre-cruise departure. I found a website...something bkv, but it is impossible to figure it out.

Does anyone know of a website that gives me the nearest stops to a specific address or landmark? Franski? :)

Thanks.

Felicia

I have just the map you need, but I don't know the link, I just have a large attachment. If you have an email account that you'd let me know that can accept a 7 MB attachment, I'll be happy to send it to you.

This map overlays a street map with underground and tram lines. We used it on our recent trip, and it was very helpful. The public transportation systems work well!

Never mind!! I found the link. http://vasvarirentals.com/pest/Budapest%20Street%20Map.jpg

I have just the map you need, but I don't know the link, I just have a large attachment. If you have an email account that you'd let me know that can accept a 7 MB attachment, I'll be happy to send it to you.

This map overlays a street map with underground and tram lines. We used it on our recent trip, and it was very helpful. The public transportation systems work well!

Never mind!! I found the link. http://vasvarirentals.com/pest/Budapest%20Street%20Map.jpg

Thanks for the link! Lots of ATMs listed on the map!

I do find this rather confusing, though. For example, if I want to get from my hotel to the Buda Castle, how would I even begin? I didn't see any legends on the map.

Felicia

Your hotel should be able to give you good directions to get there. To get a feel for the layout of the city, you might want to consider using one of the Hop On Hop Off tours before striking out on your own. We had a very good city map from Borsch maps that we studied before we left, and our hotel spent about 20 minutes with us individually pointing out several of the major attractions and making suggestions about how to get around. We spent 4 days there on our own, did a LOT of walking and occasionally some backtracking, but never had any real difficulty.

where did each of you stay?

Convenient? Cost?

We will be in Budapest one day prioe to boarding the boat.

Any must sees that won't be included in the Viking ship tour?

My only advice is you must buy your tickets before getting on the trams. We didn't, we simply didn't know you had to , and sure enough an inspector asked to see our tickets. It took a bit of crawling and begging not to be fined (it's apparently quite a considerable fine) and he let us off at the next stop showing us where to buy our tickets. They are available from just about every small shop. Scary experience but just a part of being a stranger in a foreign land and not having a clue as to the language.

Convenient? Cost?

There is so much to see that isn't included in the Viking tour - you will probably need to prioritize.... House of Terror, Shoes on the Danube Memorial, Hospital in the Rock, the Cave Church, and lots of time (more than Viking sets aside) for the Central Market.

This last time we were in Budapest, Viking was using Le Meridian - and we extended an extra night on points. We are back again in September, but Le Meridian is NOT available on points this time --> we love the location, so booked there anyway. You could get cheaper, but we are willing to pay a bit more for location.

Anything close to the Chain Bridge would be close enough to allow you to walk to the boat (Viking docks right in front of the Hotel Intercontinental).

Fran

P.S. If you decide to do the Hospital in the Rock, make sure you ask about reduced admission prices. They offer reduced prices for nurses, doctors, military, seniors .... A long list. I am a nurse, but don't carry anything that shows I am when I travel - so no discount. But it isn't expensive.

Convenient? Cost?

We enjoy staying at small inns or B&Bs. We stayed at Butterfly Home on the Pest side. It's very highly rated on TripAdvisor, and deservedly so. The rooms are comfortable and large, the owner is wonderful and will give you any assistance you need, and the breakfasts are fresh and ample. It's an easy walk from a major metro and tram station (Kalvin). Its on a pedestrian only street and is very quiet. We were there 4 nights and loved it.

Your hotel should be able to give you good directions to get there. To get a feel for the layout of the city, you might want to consider using one of the Hop On Hop Off tours before striking out on your own. We had a very good city map from Borsch maps that we studied before we left, and our hotel spent about 20 minutes with us individually pointing out several of the major attractions and making suggestions about how to get around. We spent 4 days there on our own, did a LOT of walking and occasionally some backtracking, but never had any real difficulty.

Sure, I know I can get the hotel to help, but I'm one of "those" who like to plan everything in advance as much as possible. Since I'm going to be in Budapest a limited time, and there's so much I want to see, I want to get my ducks in a row before I leave.

Of course, things always come up to distract me away from my original plan, but I feel better going with a course in mind!

As for backtracking, hello, I'm queen of getting lost, so I'm already prepared for that! But you can see some really interesting things during the attempt to get back to where you want!

Felicia

Sure, I know I can get the hotel to help, but I'm one of "those" who like to plan everything in advance as much as possible. Since I'm going to be in Budapest a limited time, and there's so much I want to see, I want to get my ducks in a row before I leave.

Do you know which hotel you will be staying in? Viking uses a couple of different ones in Budapest.

Fran

Do you know which hotel you will be staying in? Viking uses a couple of different ones in Budapest.

Fran

I don't know yet....sure wish they would hurry and send me the docs, but I understand it's still too soon.

I'm thinking about getting to/from the various places, such as the Spy Museum to the Cave Church, etc. Various restaurants, and of course to/from the hotel.

I'm hoping I get Le Meridien, but it seems that Hilton is probably the one they are assigning.

Felicia

• 2 weeks later...

Fran

I called Viking on the off chance they had my hotel already, (it's too soon to expect documents) and they do ~ Le Meridien! I'm happy about that. Is this where you stayed, Fran?

Felicia

Convenient? Cost?

Hi,

Take a look at the Hotel Central Basilica--it's about half a block from the

La Meridian, and not so expensive. We always stay there. It's a nice hotel.

Judy

we went all over Budapest by ourselves. One source that helped us was Frommers. Go to Frommers webpage, type in Budapest and you will see a listing for it, then at that page look on the left and see "walking tours", click on it and you'll see how to take the walking tours starting with what metro line to take.

There are also (further down on the left-same page) the maps that accompany each walk. Sometimes the map url is also located at the bottom of the description of each tour. My husband also downloads the map into his hand-held gps and off we go, me with paper, him with tech!

To get you started, we'll see if this works:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/budapest/0047020033.html

Most cities have a Frommer's walking tour guide. Fodor is another site and so is Rick Steves. We have downloaded Rick's Florence guide into our MP3 players (we don't use "i" products) and listened to that as we walked around...very cool.

Forgot to include: in Frommer's there is usually suggested itineraries of what to see if you only have 1 day, 2 days, etc. and is also a DIY walking tour. If time is short, at least one can say, " I saw the "big things" and I'll be back someday."

we went all over Budapest by ourselves. One source that helped us was Frommers. Go to Frommers webpage, type in Budapest and you will see a listing for it, then at that page look on the left and see "walking tours", click on it and you'll see how to take the walking tours starting with what metro line to take.

There are also (further down on the left-same page) the maps that accompany each walk. Sometimes the map url is also located at the bottom of the description of each tour. My husband also downloads the map into his hand-held gps and off we go, me with paper, him with tech!

To get you started, we'll see if this works:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/budapest/0047020033.html

Most cities have a Frommer's walking tour guide. Fodor is another site and so is Rick Steves. We have downloaded Rick's Florence guide into our MP3 players (we don't use "i" products) and listened to that as we walked around...very cool.

This is going to be VERY helpful! Thank you! I can't wait to dig into it.

Felicia

Osnab,

You're welcome! Site also is nice for checking out some restaurants and then go over to tripadvisor.com to see what other people think about the restaurants.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g274887-Budapest_Central_Hungary-Vacations.html

(look at the top and see green rectangles; 2nd from left you see "budapest". Click on that and you'll see "restaurants" "hotels" "things to do." Click away and have a great time. (If you have used these sites before then I apologize; I am truly not patronizing you--just trying to help)

Frommers also tells you where good shopping is and for some people that is very important!

Make sure you get to the Buda side and look back to the Parliament bldg and the Danube. Best place to do that is Fisherman's Bastion, St Mathias Church and if you go early in the morning you won't be in the crowds! Alternatively, go late in the afternoon and look at the late sun on the Parliament Bldg--and take pictures! Gorgeous!! Have a great time; it is one of my favorite cities.

Osnab,

You're welcome! Site also is nice for checking out some restaurants and then go over to tripadvisor.com to see what other people think about the restaurants.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g274887-Budapest_Central_Hungary-Vacations.html

(look at the top and see green rectangles; 2nd from left you see "budapest". Click on that and you'll see "restaurants" "hotels" "things to do." Click away and have a great time. (If you have used these sites before then I apologize; I am truly not patronizing you--just trying to help)

Frommers also tells you where good shopping is and for some people that is very important!

Make sure you get to the Buda side and look back to the Parliament bldg and the Danube. Best place to do that is Fisherman's Bastion, St Mathias Church and if you go early in the morning you won't be in the crowds! Alternatively, go late in the afternoon and look at the late sun on the Parliament Bldg--and take pictures! Gorgeous!! Have a great time; it is one of my favorite cities.

Oh not patronizing at all!! I look forward to digging in. I have never been to the Frommers website, so this is helpful. Thanks again.

Felicia

I called Viking on the off chance they had my hotel already, (it's too soon to expect documents) and they do ~ Le Meridien! I'm happy about that. Is this where you stayed, Fran?

Felicia

Hi Felicia -

Yes, we stayed at Le Meridien. We have booked there for another night in September (going in a day early before our Scenic cruise....) - it is a great location.

Very close to Cafe Kor (recommended by Mike Preisman, another CC member - we have been there twice now...) - and within walking distance of the Chain Bridge, the Vaci Utca, the Central Market. The only "transportation" we took on our own was the funicular up to the area of Buda Castle. Not cheap - but easy to navigate, and takes you right up into the centre of the Castle district.

We also ate at the Pilvax restaurant --> recommended by the Viking rep in the lobby of Le Meridien.

BTW - the buffet breakfast is quite expansive!!! LOTS to choose from.

Fran

If you decide to use the funicular you must have local currency. We were at the top, it had been raining and we decided to take the funicular down and didn't have enough Forints, so we had to walk down. What a mess. The steps were very muddy, flooded in some places and slippery. It would have been fine if it hand not been wet.

Also, there is a very clean restroom at the bottom of the funicular. The cost was around 50 cents Forints.

Archived