Halifax, Bay of Fundy Question

DD

We'll be on the Enchantment and in Halifax on July 22. We'll be there from 7 am to 6 pm. I would guesstimate that we won't be able to get off the ship until 9 am?

From the tide tables, it looks like high tide is at approx 1:30 pm. If I'm looking at the online driving directions correctly, it should take about an hour and a half to get there. Does it make sense to go to The Bay of Fundy if we're getting there pretty close to high tide? Is there going to be much to see? I really wanted to see the sea floor, but that's not looking possible. Is it still interesting even as high tide is nearing?

Thanks in advance for your input.

At high tide the Bay is pretty much like any other body of water, but colder. If sea bottom is what you're looking for, high tide (or near it) isn't the time. You might be better off to drive down the South Shore. Very pretty drive and lots to see. (Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg) Does your cruise go to Saint John too? If so, check the tides for that stop, which is right on the Bay of Fundy.

Thanks for the reply. No, we don't go to St. Johns so this was as close as I was going to get. I guess I'll try Bay of Fundy on another trip, another time. I'll do a Halifax & Peggy's Cove tour instead.

If you really want to experience the tides. Try rafting the tidal bore in Shubenacadie. It is only a 40 minute ride from Halifax and you can rent a car right at the pier. It is a rafting experience that allows you to ride the tides as they come in. It is an absolute ball. I would highly recommend it. They provide you with rain suits and a bbq lunch. You do get wet but there are changing facilities.

Archived