s.s. Rotterdam

From Steamship Rotterdam Foundation:

Withdrawal HCO2 (15-6-2005)

Today HCO made public that she will not purchase the s.s. Rotterdam. In February this company announced to make plans for a total removal of all the asbestos. Since then investigations made clear that a safe and sound economical exploitation is not possible when to much money is needed for asbestos removal. According to HCO2 the costs are to high.

The Steamship Rotterdam Foundation regrets the withdrawal of HCO2, because she took a lot of trouble to make plans for the ship. But this is not the end of the s.s. Rotterdam. Fortunately there are other parties willing to invest in the ship. The foundation continues to strive for the preservation of this beautiful ship.

• 4 months later...
From Steamship Rotterdam Foundation:

Withdrawal HCO2 (15-6-2005)

Today HCO made public that she will not purchase the s.s. Rotterdam. In February this company announced to make plans for a total removal of all the asbestos. Since then investigations made clear that a safe and sound economical exploitation is not possible when to much money is needed for asbestos removal. According to HCO2 the costs are to high.

The Steamship Rotterdam Foundation regrets the withdrawal of HCO2, because she took a lot of trouble to make plans for the ship. But this is not the end of the s.s. Rotterdam. Fortunately there are other parties willing to invest in the ship. The foundation continues to strive for the preservation of this beautiful ship.

I was on a cruise in July, 1993 in Alaska on the SS Rotterdam and loved the ship. I'm very glad to hear that efforts are underway to preserve her. Is there a foundation to whom we can send donations to help in this effort?

Gordon

Smokeyham@aol.com

Is there a foundation to whom we can send donations to help in this effort?

Yes, the Steamship Rotterdam Foundation.

Incidentally, as you may have noticed, the post above is from June, so this is not the latest news any more. She has in fact now been sold to new owners, and will be returned to Rotterdam.

I was on a cruise in July, 1993 in Alaska on the SS Rotterdam and loved the ship. I'm very glad to hear that efforts are underway to preserve her. Is there a foundation to whom we can send donations to help in this effort?

Gordon

Smokeyham@aol.com

The website of the Steamship Rotterdam Foundation can be found at: http://www.ssrotterdam.net/

In the top right corner, please click on: 'Steamship Rotterdam Foundation' and on that page you find the names of the boardmembers and information how to send your donation.

Any further information can be obtained at info@stoomschiprotterdam.nl .

The latest news, however not yet confirmed by the owners, is that the ship will leave Gibraltar very shortly (21/22 November) under tow to Cadiz, where she will go in drydock and where refurbishment work will be carried out.

Kind regards,

Willem van der Leek

"It's good to see a well-run site!"

http://www.vdleek.nl

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the information. Some dear friends of mine met on the cruise in 1993, fell in love and got married (not on board - but shortly afterwards), and are still together! Wonderful memories, and I hope she can be restored to some of her former glory!

Gordon

Archived