Arctic - Silver Explorer vs. A&K Le Boreal

pke-atlanta

I'm taking a shot at posting this here, since i don't find an Arctic board. We've traveled several times with Silversea and love the experience, including an Antarctic expedition on the Silver Explorer.

We're now interested in an Arctic expedition. In comparing A&K options to Silversea options, we find we like the A&K itinerary better. However, I'm wondering how the experience on an A&K charter will compare to our experiences with Silversea. Specifically, I'm interested in the comfort of Le Boreal, and the quality of the service, food and wine onboard.

I anticipate that the A&K expedition team will be just as good as the Silversea team. But I'm wondering if we will experience the same level of comfort, pampering and luxury as we did on the Silver Explorer.

Any chance there is someone here who has traveled on both the Silver Explorer and Le Boreal who can compare the two for me?

I haven't been on the Silver Explorer, but I have been on the A&K expedition on Le Boreal to the Arctic. My blog from the expedition starts here.

You'll find though that I don't care about the food (ate at the buffet unless I was dragged to the dining room) and wine (don't drink it) onboard :-)

We traveled to the Arctic on the Silver Explorer in June of 2010 and to the Antarctic on the L'Austral (sister ship of Le Boreal) in December of 2011. We were back on the Silver Explorer for a cruise in May of this year.

Very different experiences. Both were comfortable ships with excellent Expedition teams, but Le Boreal is larger, much newer, and will offer a more "French-centric" atmosphere. The passenger mix was more cosmopolitan on the Silver Explorer and English comes more readily from the crew. On the L'Austral, French was certainly the predominant language since more than half of the passengers were French. Le Boreal is beautiful but has a few design quirks - like the bathroom layout. The Silver Explorer is much older, smaller, and somewhat hindered by the older design. I think it could use a good cosmetic drydock (for interior painting, etc. vs. furnishings).

Food was very good on the Silver Explorer, but, IMHO, better on L'Austral (so it should be on Le Boreal). There were more choices on the Silver Explorer but I thought the preparation and presentation was superior on the French ship. Service was not as good on the Silver Explorer in May as it was in 2010. Over all, I think it is superior on the French ship.

If I had to pick one right now, I would opt for the Le Boreal. The Silver Explorer would probably be fine, but the A&K charter would be my choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing my research and reading all the reviews. Thank you. I still need help from you experience travelers

The ships I am looking are the Linbaugh/nat'l explorer, Le Boreal , Taulk and

Silver sea Explorer.

I have not seen any-one talk about Taulk. Abercombe and Kent uses the same ship for much much MORE money. What is the difference.???

I do like Taulk itinery and they have been around much longer. I also like

The nat'l geographic itinery also.

Silver Sea was in for major damage because of ICE, no-one has talked about this. This is not good.

My husband likes the Linbaugh because he feels it cuts the ice better. A1 class, what about the other ships

Can any one please elaborate on the stops..

Can anyone talk about the amenities are they notch with comfort in the room.

When I am out I want to see as much as possible landings kayaking and adventure,BUT when I go back to the ship I want to feel Pampered with serviice

Please need some help in the 3 ships. I have to put a deposit soon for Jan 2015

I am curious, I trying to make a decision why not Taulk on the Le boreal then

abercombe and Kent.

They are so much more money.

The ship silversea was in a major accident.

What is your opinion?

Also this ship you fly straight from buenos Aires to Ushiaa.

There is no time in Argentina.

Did you not find it more expensive????

You have to pay all of your airfares.

What did you like so much with Silversea explorer??

It is also expensive

Archived