Quisine Restaurant

GailnBrad

Can anyone explain what the restaurant 'Quisine' is all about? Can I order filet? Do you only get bite size pieces? How many items can you order? Foe $45.00...I wonder about it. Thanks

Qsine is more of an experience than a restaurant. They specialize in tapas, or small "mini dishes." It's generally a better experience when sharing with a couple or more friends, but that isn't to say that you won't have a great time with just you and significant other. But you don't order a specific entry, like a filet, you order many different things to eat. And as far as I know, there is no limit to the number of items that you can order.

At qsine you can order as much as you want for your table. Some items are larger then others but wouldn't say bite size. You can find the menu online as it is the same each night and you pick and choose what you wish to order.

We personally love qsine but I know many don't. It is expensive for $45 so see if they have any deals when on board.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Qsine is a unique dining experience and while you CAN order as much as you want I highly recommend you don't. Three of us made that mistake the first time and about exploded because it was SO much food.

I LOVE the lava crab. The meatballs were too big and meh as far as I am concerned. They do have a filet but they are mini filets and it is called the "Painter's Pallet."

What ever you do save room for dessert. The Silver Bullet is to die for.

It's a little like a Chinese restaurant. You order a variety of food dishes to share, as many dishes as you want. There is a really eclectic mix, from Mexican to meatballs to spring rolls to filet mignon. It's all about the experience--- fun, festive, lively, quite different from the more formal atmosphere of the MDR and most of the other specialty restaurants.

It IS fun. Their dishes are all over the globe ethnic. There is Mexican, Greek, American, Asian, etc. It's just unique and what makes some of it fun is the presentation of the various dishes. You order on an iPad and your server will help you.

Dishes come one at a time and you can ask them to bring half servings. In other words, first time we went with a group. Next time it was just me and my husband and for the spring rolls we asked for just one each (they normally have a couple varieties and you get one of each per person). We split ONE meatball rather than have them bring three large meatballs. I happen to love the meatballs but they are huge and we wanted to try more items. I agree with the poster who said lava crab. Yes, that's my favorite item too, followed by the filet and the tombstone dessert.

You need to pace yourself. Eat slow, ask them not to bring the next selection as soon as you finish your last one.

One piece of advice is avoid the non-special items that just fill you up like some of the carbs. - chips, fries, etc.

I did not like the experience, I must admit I do not keep up with technology. After being seated the waiter hands you a tablet PC to use as your menu. I was lost so I called over the waiter for a paper menu just like in the MDR.

He said the menu is only on the tablet and he proceded to instruct me how to navigate the many different pages. I was lost and just told him to bring me a steak, potato and veggie. :o I should have went to the steak house.:)

I think the experience at Qsine depends on your waiter. Ours was really good and it was a lot of fun. The food was OK, but the presentation was very cool and it was more like an event than a dinner. I don't know what we'd want to do it very often (like maybe not until we're with someone else who hasn't done it?), but it was fun for trying once. It's kind of pricey for what you get, but you certainly don't go away hungry. It also takes around 3 hours so don't plan it for a quick snack night.

Tom

Can anyone explain what the restaurant 'Quisine' is all about? Can I order filet? Do you only get bite size pieces? How many items can you order? Foe $45.00...I wonder about it. Thanks

I've been twice and IMHO it's about presentation and the experience rather than the food. Some of the food is good but not much is great. If you want a great filet go to Tuscan Grill or Murano but not Qsine. They're not thick filet's, but rather a bit less than an inch thick and certainly not the best thing on Qsine's menu. Then again you can go to any steakhouse and get a filet. Where can you get Spring Rolls served in giant springs? And Mediterranean food served in a big shadow box? And meatballs as big as a baby's head. :(

Lava crab and disco shrimp in bowls that have twinkling lights.

If it were just 2 or 4 going, I'd opt for one of the other specialty restaurants, esp, if you're looking for a filet.

I did not like the experience, I must admit I do not keep up with technology. After being seated the waiter hands you a tablet PC to use as your menu. I was lost so I called over the waiter for a paper menu just like in the MDR.

He said the menu is only on the tablet and he proceded to instruct me how to navigate the many different pages. I was lost and just told him to bring me a steak, potato and veggie. :o I should have went to the steak house.:)

I love this post! It made me laugh out loud. I am forced to be tech savvy in my job but I do find it irritating when I go to the doctor's office and they ask me if I have confirmed my appointment through their online app. I don't WANT another app thank you very much. Can't I just phone? Anyway my point is that there should be another option if you don't want to use a tablet. :)

We love it and go on every cruise, twice last cruise with a large group. It's way more fun than just another boring restaurant dinner. M's Favorites is MY favorite--yummy Mediterranean dishes like great hummus with tiny pitas, tiny lamp chops, olives, etc all served in an open box--if you're looking for traditional dining, this is not it!

To the person who didn't like the iPad for ordering, you should have just let your companions order--or gone to Tuscan Grille. Too bad you hadn't researched it ahead of time. . .would have saved some aggravation.

It's a big gimmick. I advise ignoring it.

I love this post! It made me laugh out loud. I am forced to be tech savvy in my job but I do find it irritating when I go to the doctor's office and they ask me if I have confirmed my appointment through their online app. I don't WANT another app thank you very much. Can't I just phone? Anyway my point is that there should be another option if you don't want to use a tablet. :)

Yes, there are other options: the MDR, the buffet, the other specialty restaurants.

But really, how difficult is it to put you finger on a picture to select an item?????? I find it hard to believe that in this day and age with cell phones, remote controls, and ATMs that a person wouldn't be able to figure out how to use the electronic menu in Qsine.

As for the experience - yes, you could skip it as one or two posters have suggested. Or, you could go and you just might, in spite of yourself, actually have a little fun. True, that may cut into your carefully crafted "curmudgeon" image, but I promise you, no one will pass judgement if you end up enjoying yourself.

Do it once. Try for a discount. Stay away from any bread they offer you. Used to think it was better to go with a big party, but had just as much fun with three people. Eat what you most want first. Then decide for yourself if it is worth it.

Yes, there are other options: the MDR, the buffet, the other specialty restaurants.

But really, how difficult is it to put you finger on a picture to select an item?????? I find it hard to believe that in this day and age with cell phones, remote controls, and ATMs that a person wouldn't be able to figure out how to use the electronic menu in Qsine.

As for the experience - yes, you could skip it as one or two posters have suggested. Or, you could go and you just might, in spite of yourself, actually have a little fun. True, that may cut into your carefully crafted "curmudgeon" image, but I promise you, no one will pass judgement if you end up enjoying yourself.

As for other options I did not mean another restaurant choice, LOL. I meant a sheet of paper; an old fashioned menu. I am typing this on an iPad. :)

However, what seems so simple for you and for me might be daunting to someone else as far as technology. I know my mother would not be interested in using a tablet to order dinner. She is an educated woman but not exposed to technology on a daily basis.

I look forward to Qsine.

Using an iPad is pretty easy. My 11 month old granddaughter is getting pretty good at it. She loves to play games on ours that aren't any more trouble than selecting what you want for dinner.

Tom

While many find Qsine whimsical I find it gimmicky. However, we have had enjoyable evenings there, and also have had enjoyable food as long as we avoid the fried items. Many of the Mediterranean items are quite tasty. After experiencing Silk Harvest on the Equinox last spring, I must say that I much prefer Qsine.

Is it ok to place another order after all your other food has been served? Like if the hummus, lava crab, meatballs etc. are already served, and after eating most of it, we still have not had our fill of lava crab, can we order another round?

Yes, you can order additional items.

Is it ok to place another order after all your other food has been served? Like if the hummus, lava crab, meatballs etc. are already served, and after eating most of it, we still have not had our fill of lava crab, can we order another round?

We ordered everything we thought we wanted to try. After about 2/3rds through our meal we were getting full and we asked our server to cancel the remaining orders. Since they typically bring the items in a staggered timing pattern, you won't get everything at once. There is no harm in cancelling if you get full. In fact, our server asked us after a few selections were served if we wanted to continue, and to tell her when we wanted to stop. Or you could cancel an item and replace it with something else. Or add more items if you want to continue the adventure. There is no limit on how few or how many items you may order, or how many orders of the same item.

The fun of Qsine is in trying items you may not typically order when a single full serving is the norm as in almost every other restaurant. This is a good opportunity to try that item you aren't so sure about. If you don't like it, someone else at the table might, and the serving is reasonably small so not much is wasted if no one else wants it. It also allows you to sample some familiar items presented in unusual ways.

If you want an elegant meal, or are too high brow to allow yourself to have a bit of fun with your meal, then stay away from Qsine. But, if you are adventurous, young at heart (no matter how old you may be), and want to try a dining style you won't find anywhere else, then absolutely go. Either way, good or bad, the experience will memorable.

We went with a group of 10 from our Roll Call. It was fantastic!

We all looked at the iPad menu together, and each person in the group chose one item they really liked. Since there were so many of us, it didn't matter if nobody else wanted to order it: there was so much food! And that let me try a taste of things I didn't think I would like, while still having plenty of stuff that I loved. In that way it was a real broadening experience [culturally, leave my waistline out of this!]

I wouldn't order a steak there - if you want a good steak, you have to go to a good steakhouse [preferably in New York or Chicago]. But the variety (and whimsical presentation) at Qsine is an experience! "Dinner and a show," where the food is the show!

I think it could be fun with at least 4 but better even with 6 or 8 people....otherwise it was too much food that was really only average for the most part...but in a group I think would be fun.

I think it is best with two people as the portions for each course are small and not easily shared by a group. It is only too much food if you order too many courses; you can have as small or large a meal as you like.

I think it is best with two people as the portions for each course are small and not easily shared by a group. It is only too much food if you order too many courses; you can have as small or large a meal as you like.

Certainly was NOT true when we went. We asked the server several times to reduce the portion and she just laughed and kept bringing far more than any two people could ever eat...consequently more than half of all the food wound up in the garbage which I don't like. It was not fun for the two of us, but as I have said before in a group I think it would be a fun evening. I'm sure different servers react differently but ours was NOT accommodating at all and that soured the experience for us.

Archived