Wine Package???

We just received our docs for our Navigator cruise in July. Another couple in our group noticed the information about the wine packages. My husband and I don't really drink wine so I have no idea about these packages. I said I would try to find some information for them. I did find the list of wines and prices in another post. How much are wines individually? Or a price range? Is that package worth it? I think they were thinking about splitting the package with another couple maybe. Is this doable? Any reviews would be very helpful. Thanks! :)

We did the wine package on our cruise on the Grandeur in Feb. I know they try to sell the packages on the first day. I can't remember the price, but I know we saved about $1.00-$1.50 per glass of wine. We enjoyed the package and drank all six bottles by the end of the cruise. We usually never drink a bottle at dinner, but on the cruise we did. We didn't have to drive so need for a designated driver. If you like wine at dinner, its worth the price. We had a table for six and all three couples had a wine package

My wife and I are beginning to get serious about wine - we've taken classes and hosted wine-tasting parties, and we bought the wine-package during our last cruise on Rhapsody (september 2004), and were disappointed by the choices.

We didn't drink a bottle every night as we had dinner in Key West one evening. There was only one champagne choice, and it was a californian demi-sec, only one dessert wine, and I think there were 8 whites and 8 reds. I could be wrong, but it seemed the choices were very limited. I would have rather ordered one glass each of a very good quality bottle than half a bottle of a mediocre quality bottle.

I think this is the right information. I have tried to do some research for our December cruise on the Explorer; Don't shoot me if it is wrong. I can not remember where on the RCCL web site I found it.

GOLD PACKAGE

5 BOTTLES $113

7 BOTTLES $158

10 BOTTLES $226

12 BOTTLES $273

SPARKLING

Korbel, Brut

WHITE WINES

Chardonnay, Stone Cellars, Beringer

Semillon-Chardonnay, Lindemans-Bin 77

Pinot Grigio, Danzante

Sauvignon Blanc, Caliterra

White Zinfandel, Woodbridge, Robert Mondavi

RED WINES

Beaujolais Villages, George duBoeuf

Cabernet Sauvignon, Stone Cellars, Beringer

Cabernet Sauvignon, Woodbridge Twin Oaks

Merlot, Vina Tarapaca

Shiraz, Footprint

PLATINUM PACKAGE

5 BOTTLES $125

7 BOTTLES $173

10 BOTTLES $250

12 BOTTLES $299

SPARKLING

Argyle, Brut

Korbel, Brut

WHITE WINES

Organic Cardonnay, Badger Mountain, Estate Grown

Johannesburg Riesling, Chateau St. Michelle

Pinot Grigio, Danzante

White Zinfandel, Beringer

RED WINES

Merlot, Robert Mondavi Private Selection

Merlot, Vina Tarapaca

Rioja, Faustino VII

Shiraz, Footprint

Zinfandel, Cline

DIAMOND PACKAGE

5 BOTTLES $137

7 BOTTLES $189

10 BOTTLES $274

12 BOTTLES $329

SPARKLING

Argyle, Brut

Korbel, Brut

WHITE WINES

Chardonnay, Meridian Vineyards

Organic Cardonnay, Badger Mountain, Estate Grown

Johannesburg Riesling, Chateau St. Michelle

Pinot Grigio, Danzante

White Zinfandel, Beringer

RED WINES

Carmenere, Arboleda

Merlot, Robert Mondavi Private Selection

Merlot, Vina Tarapaca

Pinot Noir, Beringer Founder's Estate

Rioja, Faustino VII

Shiraz, Footprint

Shiraz, Rosemount Estate

Zinfandel, Cline

My wife and I are beginning to get serious about wine - we've taken classes and hosted wine-tasting parties, and we bought the wine-package during our last cruise on Rhapsody (september 2004), and were disappointed by the choices.

We didn't drink a bottle every night as we had dinner in Key West one evening. There was only one champagne choice, and it was a californian demi-sec, only one dessert wine, and I think there were 8 whites and 8 reds. I could be wrong, but it seemed the choices were very limited. I would have rather ordered one glass each of a very good quality bottle than half a bottle of a mediocre quality bottle.

I agree that the wine in the packages at all three price points is mediocre IF one likes and knows good wines. For the average consumer, they are probably just fine.

I brought wine aboard my last few RCI and paid the corkage fee, happily. I also purchased a few bottles aboard ship. The wine list is decent but overpriced, like most ships these days.

Is there someplace where I can find the per bottle or per glass wine list? I don't drink wine but my parents are avid drinkers so I have always been around wine a lot. I can tell that the package bottles aren't great but I am not sure how descriminating my friends are. I appreciate any help I can get!

Here's a link to the current wine list on the RCCL website. This is the full bottle list only. I'm not sure where to point you to find the by the glass list. Different ships will have different offerings, I think.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=00000BfkRcepdz0e530ZDt9o5A7:v2mocajr?catCode=WINE

We purchased the wine package on a 7-day cruise. We were limited to a single package, and could only order wines that were less than $35.00/bottle. Chops didn't have anything that appealed, so we ordered off the list that night. We weren't able to polish off each bottle. In hindsight, we should have just ordered a couple of bottles for our table on the last night. Oh, well. Live & learn. I don't think we'd do the package again.

We're thinking of doing this as I like wine at dinner, and we could do a bottle per night. Although the choices are not that great. And it's scary that a bottle of kendall jackson is $45 vs $11 in the store:eek:

• 1 month later...

:( That's one below average wine list!

Does anyone know how often RCL changes their list? I'm not cruising till April 06, so I hope they have some flux in what they offer.

One Pinot? Its drinkable, but nothing great. More shiraz's then Zin's (although Cline does a good job)?

I know cruses are not the place for Opus's or Rubicons, but I could put together a better, more profitable wine list by going to the supermarket.

Kinda obvious that RCL does not have anyone who knows wine.

At this point, I doubt that they'll get my $189 for a package.

Archived