Pictorial Review: Brilliance OTS 12/16/13 ~B2B~ with Carnival Ecstasy

Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by G85 SS
Do you mind if I post a link of your review in mine? You have a ton of pictures from areas I don't and you know of all the changes since Brilliance went through it's revitalization where as I don't since this was my first go 'round with it.
Definitely, and feel free to post a link to yours here!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises

Royal Caribbean: 36, Carnival:23, Celebrity: 2, Other Lines: 4

Orlando, FL
887 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by DarthGrady
Definitely, and feel free to post a link to yours here!
Thank you. I didn't want to just throw your stuff out there without permission. Sometimes people are funny about that sort of stuff even though it's posted for the world to see. lol.

And of course, will do.

For anybody wanting to read another review of the same cruise from a different perspective, here you go.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959063
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

COMPLETED CRUISES
Disney Dream - December 2015
Enchantment of the Seas - August 2015
Brilliance of the Seas - Dec 2013 / Dec 2016
Oasis of the Seas - June 2013
Freedom of the Seas - Dec. 2011 / June 2014
Monarch of the Seas - Dec. 2009 / Dec. 2008
Sovereign of the Seas - Aug. 2008 / Sept. 2005

Now in SE Florida from NY
7,681 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
All of a sudden, reviews of the Brilliance are popping up all over here on CC.

We did the Canada to Cape Liberty in Nov 2012 on the BOTS but for various reasons (Hurricane Sandy, Hurricane Sandy....) never wrote up this trip or even posted pictures to an internet hosting site. Time to get back in the game.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<marquee>Mr. Incredible</marquee>

PLUS.

Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
We were able to immediately drop off our luggage in the cabins. We had ocean view cabin #3596. The location right off the aft staircase was very convenient. Our view was definitely of the ocean, it was only about twenty feet below our window. The room itself was in good shape and had a small sitting area.

My only complaint about the room is regarding the bathroom. The shower curtain was too short and water would spill out onto the floor. There was also a noticeable odor of mildew at times, probably due to the constant wetness from the shower. All this could be solved (and SHOULD be solved) by Royal Caribbean adding the sliding shower doors to all ships that don't have them. They're much better at keeping the water in and don't molest you while you're shampooing.

Our stateroom

Our lovely view

For anyone wondering if the flat screen TVs have inputs for electronic devices. I'm not sure if RCI has locked them out though.
Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by The Big Booper
All of a sudden, reviews of the Brilliance are popping up all over here on CC.

We did the Canada to Cape Liberty in Nov 2012 on the BOTS but for various reasons (Hurricane Sandy, Hurricane Sandy....) never wrote up this trip or even posted pictures to an internet hosting site. Time to get back in the game.
Funny you mention that cruise, there were a few folks on board during this cruise that were on the ship with you during Hurricane Sandy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises

Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
That takes care of the cabin and a few areas of the ship. Lots more to come, but that's all I have time for tonight. I'll be back on tomorrow with more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises

Now in SE Florida from NY
7,681 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by DarthGrady
Funny you mention that cruise, there were a few folks on board during this cruise that were on the ship with you during Hurricane Sandy.
There were 3 couples at our table and all were severely impacted by Sandy.

We had a 120 foot oak tree land squarely on our house, partially demolishing it. After 6 months the house was rebuilt and we sold it and moved to Florida.

The second couple lived on the Jersey Shore....enuff said.

The 3rd couple lives in Manhattan on 14th street in Stuyvesant Town. Their parking garage is below street level. Before we all got off the ship in NJ, the wife told us that their car is now a submarine.

We had been booked to do a b2b on the BOTS down to San Juan but that was cancelled and insurance did pay us back for the skipped second leg.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<marquee>Mr. Incredible</marquee>

PLUS.

Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by The Big Booper
There were 3 couples at our table and all were severely impacted by Sandy.

We had a 120 foot oak tree land squarely on our house, partially demolishing it. After 6 months the house was rebuilt and we sold it and moved to Florida.

The second couple lived on the Jersey Shore....enuff said.

The 3rd couple lives in Manhattan on 14th street in Stuyvesant Town. Their parking garage is below street level. Before we all got off the ship in NJ, the wife told us that their car is now a submarine.

We had been booked to do a b2b on the BOTS down to San Juan but that was cancelled and insurance did pay us back for the skipped second leg.
Not good about the damage and subsequent cruise cancellation. At least they made it right. Welcome to FL, at least you don't have to worry about hurricanes anymore......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises

Gettysburg, PA
2,210 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Great Pictorial Review, thanks...always enjoy seeing photos of the cabin. :
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising, Buil, http://cruiseclues.com Our Personal Cruise Website
Sitmar, RCCL, Costa, HAL, Princess, Royal Cruise Line, Celebrity, Renaissance, Disney, MSC, Carnival, Carnival Glory Feb 17, 2013, Carnival Breeze Feb 24, 2013, Grandeur of the Seas Oct 25, 2013, Upcoming Caribbean Princess Nov 10, 2014 & MSC Divina Jan 24, 2015
"We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails"
Cruising is the Best Vacation!
Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by cruiseclues
Great Pictorial Review, thanks...always enjoy seeing photos of the cabin. :
Thanks, glad you liked it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises

Lakeland, Florida
327 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Subscribing. We board the Brilliance in 26 days!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10/03-Enchantment of the Seas...10/04-Navigator of the Seas...10/7-Enchantment of the Seas...01/09-Adventure of the Seas...05/09-Disney Wonder...12/09-Mariner of the Seas...01/13-Vision of the Seas...01/14-Brilliance of the Seas...01/15-Legend of the Seas...12/17-Celebrity Equinox...
Sarasota, Fl.
471 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
As always, it is so GREAT seeing another excellent review. I have come to rely on your opinion of ships, as your views mirror mine very closely. We loved our cruise on the MSC Poesia we took last year after reading your review. One of my favorite ships now. As you can see by my signature, we are now bound for the Allure in May. Thanks again for helping me spend money. We live in Sarasota, and it would be great to travel with you and your wife on a future trip. Once again, thanks for taking the time to write about and photograph your travels.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
64 Cruises on 14 Cruiselines and Counting.............
Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by Oakman
As always, it is so GREAT seeing another excellent review. I have come to rely on your opinion of ships, as your views mirror mine very closely. We loved our cruise on the MSC Poesia we took last year after reading your review. One of my favorite ships now. As you can see by my signature, we are now bound for the Allure in May. Thanks again for helping me spend money. We live in Sarasota, and it would be great to travel with you and your wife on a future trip. Once again, thanks for taking the time to write about and photograph your travels.
Thanks, glad to hear the Poesia worked out well. We've been talking about doing a cruise on her, they offer some attractive rates.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises

Seattle, WA
11,279 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Thank you for posting your review and including pictures, very much appreciated. So was the little tree something you brought along?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bill

PLUS
Photo Reviews of cruises: Radiance (Hawaii)-5/17 Rhapsody (Caribbean) - 1/17 Radiance (Alaska) - 8/16
Radiance (Hawaii) - 04/16 Jewel (B2B West Coast) - Sept 26 - Oct 10, 2015 Jewel (West Coast) - 05/15

Oasis (birthday cruise)- 01/15 Rhapsody (Hawaii)-09/14 Legend (Panama Canal) - 11/13 Allure 05/13
Jewel 03/13 - 1st Caribbean Radiance 09/12 - Hawaii Splendour 05/12 - E. Mediterranean
Mariner 11/10 - Mexican Riviera Voyager 05/10 - W. Mediterranean (no pictures)
Upcoming-Ovation (Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand)-April 9, 2018, Ovation (Singapore-Vietnam-Hong Kong-Korea-China)-April 14, 2018
Explorer (Seattle)-September 21, 2108, Vision (Panama Canal)-November 29, 2018, Radiance (Hawaii)-May 5, 2019
Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by PCWalton1
Thank you for posting your review and including pictures, very much appreciated. So was the little tree something you brought along?
Yes, a little USB powered tree. Just the right size for a cruise ship cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises

Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Shortly after boarding I stopped by the Sky Bar for the unofficial Cruise Critic meet and mingle and met lots of nice folks that I had been counting down with on the roll call. After the muster drill we went upstairs to the Viking Crown Lounge for the cocktail party. Part of the VCL had been converted into the new Diamond Lounge, and the old Hollywood Odyssey Lounge had been repurposed into a Concierge Lounge. The cocktail party was very busy and entire VCL was being used as a combination DL/CL.

The Sky Bar, the first I've seen with tables. Not a bad idea IMO.

The Starquest in the Viking Crown Lounge

The dance floor, behind that blue dividing wall is the new Diamond Lounge

The carousel bar, my nightly watering hole

Ocala, Fl.
10,959 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
The old Hollywood Odyssey, now the Concierge Lounge. There is also a nice porch area outside those big windows, but I couldn't get a shot as I had to sneak in to get this shot.

The new Diamond Lounge, carved out of a section of the Starquest (Viking Crown Lounge). The coffee machine was putting out sub-par brew the entire cruise. This was a shame since the unlimited free espresso was a high point of my recent Enchantment cruise.

United States
14,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Thanks for sharing. Good for you for racking up so many cruises so fast, you must be doing something right! I must get on a Radiance class ship...I just simply must. Also thanks for linking to your Carnival trip. I was onboard Ecstasy almost exactly 21 years ago for a NYE cruise 1992-1993. Good memories. Not much of a CCL fan with all their cutbacks now but the Ecstasy still seems to get a lot of love from fans so that is cool. Keep cruisin'!