Tom Harper Cruises

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:39 AM.
Memphis
164 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
We received a very nice brochure from this group. Anyone familiar with them? Can you give us some information?
3,885 Posts
Joined May 2009
You can google and find their website. They are brand new and if in not mistaken they don't have their FIrst sailing until May 2014.
New York
5,230 Posts
Joined Jan 2000
We got the catalog, too. I can't lay my hands on it right now, but I thought they were out of Milton, MA, or there abouts? That's the neighborhood that both GCT and Vantage are out of, I beleive. As we've sailed with both GCT and Vantage, how coincidental that Tom has our name and address. Is it one of them operating under yet another name? And as the previous poster mentioned, their maiden sailings aren't until this coming spring.
24 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Tom Harper LLC has filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Massachusetts. All of the passengers who have paid for cruises from April 2015 and beyond are out of luck (and on the bankruptcy recovery list). Since January, TH has been soliciting full payment for future trips by offering a 10% discount incentive. These payments had to be made via EFT.

We had paid only the reservation fee of $500 each--and paid that by American Express. AMEX has credited us with that amount, so we are very fortunate. Other passengers who paid by credit card have also been reimbursed by the credit card companies. We, for one, will NEVER prepay by electronic funds transfer--to any company!
Philadelphia, PA
1,091 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Originally posted by Bernerdaddy
Tom Harper LLC has filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Massachusetts. All of the passengers who have paid for cruises from April 2015 and beyond are out of luck (and on the bankruptcy recovery list). Since January, TH has been soliciting full payment for future trips by offering a 10% discount incentive. These payments had to be made via EFT.

We had paid only the reservation fee of $500 each--and paid that by American Express. AMEX has credited us with that amount, so we are very fortunate. Other passengers who paid by credit card have also been reimbursed by the credit card companies. We, for one, will NEVER prepay by electronic funds transfer--to any company!
I agree. I am curious what the look back period for credit cards would be. If someone put a deposit down 6 months ago -- would the credit card company still refund them? I wish everyone good luck in getting their money back. I also received their emails and brochures and am curious how they received my name.
Long Island, New York
4,629 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by Bernerdaddy

The unfortunate things we learn from experience....Most companies offer, including the most solid ones, usually offer some kind of incentive to pay early...DH and I have talked about it many times, but never done it and now we never will.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Greek Islands and Turkey, Louis Perla, October, 2006
Castles on Rhine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2008
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016
Canada-New England, Celebrity Summit, Oct 2016
Caribbean, RCI Grandeur of the Seas, Jan, 2017
Scandinavia-Russia, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
Norway Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Southern Caribbean, March, 2018, Celebrity Eclipse
British Isles, August, 2018, Celebrity Eclipse
New York
8,312 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Hydrokitty
The unfortunate things we learn from experience....Most companies offer, including the most solid ones, usually offer some kind of incentive to pay early...DH and I have talked about it many times, but never done it and now we never will.
It would still be worthwhile if you get third-party travel insurance with vendor default coverage -- but make sure your vendor is on the coverage list. I don't think Tom Harper ever was, at least when I checked. ["Vantage Deluxe World Travel" is covered on my Allianz policy -- if that is the same as Vantage river cruises]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
VA, MD & FL
6,263 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
It would still be worthwhile if you get third-party travel insurance with vendor default coverage -- but make sure your vendor is on the coverage list. I don't think Tom Harper ever was, at least when I checked. ["Vantage Deluxe World Travel" is covered on my Allianz policy -- if that is the same as Vantage river cruises]
Yes Vanttage Deluxe World Travel has the Vantage river boats. I looked at Allianz and they do NOT list Grand Circle on their coverage list (I have not checked other insurance companies). I have been quite pleased with my six Grand Circle river boat trips, but would worry about paying far in advance by EFT without default coverage (IMO the discount is not worth the risk).

Thom
Long Island, New York
4,629 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by TravelerThom
Yes Vanttage Deluxe World Travel has the Vantage river boats. I looked at Allianz and they do NOT list Grand Circle on their coverage list (I have not checked other insurance companies). I have been quite pleased with my six Grand Circle river boat trips, but would worry about paying far in advance by EFT without default coverage (IMO the discount is not worth the risk).

Thom
That's very interesting. I've never traveled with GCT but I never doubted their reputation or solvency. Vantage just happened to send me a brochure for Castle on the Rhine at the perfect time and since we were so satisfied with the first trip we've kept booking with them and never been disappointed. Plus the incentive to rebook with them is a plus.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Greek Islands and Turkey, Louis Perla, October, 2006
Castles on Rhine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2008
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016
Canada-New England, Celebrity Summit, Oct 2016
Caribbean, RCI Grandeur of the Seas, Jan, 2017
Scandinavia-Russia, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
Norway Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Southern Caribbean, March, 2018, Celebrity Eclipse
British Isles, August, 2018, Celebrity Eclipse
Madison WI
179 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Travel Guard gold plan covers default of the tour operator. Travel Guard has a list of travel companies /tour operators which are NOT covered. You have to check that your tour operator is not on the list before you purchase the policy.
If you pay early by check or cashiers check, and if you have proper documentation of that early payment, and if you have a third party travelers insurance plan with default coverage, you will be ok and you will be reimbursed.
This is how Travel Guard writes their policy for default of the travel company. There are other companies that may also cover this situation.