Elevators for Wheelchair User/Peak Periods

muskrat897

I would love to see the cruise lines designate a specific elevator for wheelchair/power chair/scooter users during peak periods. It gets frustrating not to be able to get onboard the elevators during peak periods. Ideas? Comments?:)

The only time my kids have a problem getting an elevator is for the muster drill. Other then that if the elevator is full most of the time people will see them waiting and get out to let them on.

cjh:

You have been very lucky. We almost always have a problem with elevators during busy periods. I expect to wait our turn, but do not appreciate people will push in front of my husband even though we were there first. Other times people in the elevator will not move over to the sides of the elevator to give him room to get in.

However, I do not think that reserving an elevator for wheelchair/scooter users is practical.

cjh:

You have been very lucky. We almost always have a problem with elevators during busy periods. I expect to wait our turn, but do not appreciate people will push in front of my husband even though we were there first. Other times people in the elevator will not move over to the sides of the elevator to give him room to get in.

However, I do not think that reserving an elevator for wheelchair/scooter users is practical.

DH has had the same experience -- people push in front of him, even though we've been waiting.

It gets frustrating.

A lot of times I'll announce loudly, "I'll take the stairs."

Someone has to have a guilty conscience! ;)

By designating one elevator for the handicapped pax, you limit everyone in a wheelchair to that one elevator ... seems like it would not work. Then you have the ignorant AB folks who would use it anyway.

We have learned to travel together as much as possible during busy times. My dad and I way-lay the elevator and hold the door for my mother (in the wheelchair). If someone tries to hog in who came after us, we step into their path and say "the wheelchair user was here first"....and look them in the eye (a little shame never hurt anyone who is rude). I also often get her onto the elevator, then step out and take the stairs myself since I am AB (more people should walk off those cruise calories!!).

We also learned long ago that if everyone is trying to take the elevators in one direction, just get on the first elevator door that opens. Even if you have to ride up before you go down (or the reverse) it is usually quicker than waiting for the crowd to thin out.

Archived