June '05 returning cruisers-weather ??

We're going on July 24th. I've been watching CNN.com weather reports for the port cities - looks pretty cool (especially by Atlanta standards!!) And I'm sure it's cooler on the ship's decks than in the cities. Did you need jackets? How heavy a jacket would you recommend?

Thanks, Susan

We haven't been in Baltic area yet but wide variety of weather is possible. One thing we learned from our Alaska cruise (with similar wide range) was the value of a convertable jacket. Both for utility as well as space in luggage. We bought two part (removable liner) jackets from Columbia Sportswear. Nylon shell over zip in fleece liner. Together they handle cold down to zero F (my main jacket in winter in Minnesota). But if it is rainy and warm just the nylon shell is great. If it is cool and dry the fleece liner works as a zippered sweatshirt (but looks better). Very versitile.

Coming from Atlanta In July I would think a jacket of some sort would be critical for comfort.

We just returned and we couldn't have had better weather. Being from Florida, the cooler weather was welcomed! The only rain we had was on the first morning in St. Petersburg. I took a waterproof windbreaker type jacket and it was all I needed. I was able to roll it up and put in my backpack when I wasn't wearing it. The only times I really wore it was early in the am then late in the evening if I stepped out on the balcony. I also learned to wear a cooler top because it gets very warm in the museaums and riding in the vans that we toured in.

Hi,

We were blessed with terrific weather on our cruise. Hot & sunny in Stockholm; a slight sprinkle at one point in Helsinki, but warm & partly sunny thereafter; marine layer of clouds the first morning in St. Petersburg that gave way to two sunny days & warm temperatures; warm & sunny in Estonia; ditto Copenhagen and Olso, too! The only rain we experienced was one, pre-cruise day in Amsterdam, but the other 3 days in Amsterdam were terrific.

I kiddingly said if we prepared for the worst, we would have great weather. I guess dragging along that raincoat & fleece really did do the trick!

I wore capris and sleeveless tops and a rain jacket. My husband wore cotton knit shirts and took a light jacket in a backpack. Museums can get warm, and the ballet was warm, too. I wore shorts on the ship on sea days. We didn't have rough seas. I get seasick easily, and didn't need to take anything. Our cruise was roundtrip from Copenhagen.

Eileen

the weather was amazing- 11 out of 12 perfect days- no clouds just bright blue skies and about high to mid 70's. warmer than we expected- we only had only cooler cloudy day in berlin- we put on sweaters that one day- slight drizzle for aout an hour.

it was a toss up between shorts or slacks every day. the sun is extremely strong- we spent every afternoon back at the ship by the pool. it was definitely swimming weather everyday.

waters were extremely calm- we never felt the ship moving.

Whenzuc, welcome back. I too just returned from the Westerdam! The weather could NOT have been any better...we were very fortunate on this cruise. I completely did not pack enough warm weather clothes, and I think my biggest faux pas was not bringing a pair of shorts or bikini to lay out in the sun! Of course, the weather can be tempramental so maybe we just got lucky. But my advice is to tuck a pair of shorts into your bag just in case. Also, the seas were so calm that I barely felt like we were sailing.

I'm jealous of all of you who are just embarking. Its truly a great itinerary....

Whenzuc, welcome back. I too just returned from the Westerdam! The weather could NOT have been any better...we were very fortunate on this cruise. I completely did not pack enough warm weather clothes, and I think my biggest faux pas was not bringing a pair of shorts or bikini to lay out in the sun! Of course, the weather can be tempramental so maybe we just got lucky. But my advice is to tuck a pair of shorts into your bag just in case. Also, the seas were so calm that I barely felt like we were sailing.

I'm jealous of all of you who are just embarking. Its truly a great itinerary....

I do hope the weather holds out until the middle of September. We board the ship two months from today.

Archived