DVDs of the ship videos

medalian1

Did you want to get some of those tapes they sell of your cruise? I know I did, but I didn't want to pay $25 per VHS tape (and I was on a couple of the tapes!). So instead of paying $100 I'm going to just save them to a laptop and burn them to DVD when I get home. How you ask?

First you need a capture card, or a USB one like this ...

15-116-311-01.JPG

http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116311R

You'll have to do this with a laptop, cause I don't think they'll letcha bring a desktop on the cruise :D

Get about 5 or so feet of basic cable line and one of these from radio shack ...

m278-304.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F003%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=278%2D304

So you unplug the cable out of the TV in your stateroom. Plug it into that adapter from radioshack. Plug your 5' of cable you brought into the other end (to extend the cable to reach laptop). Plug cable into the capture card. Record the shows from the TV onto your laptop.

The only thing that might bother you is that it will have the text on there occasionally that tells you to buy the tape of the cruise. I personally don't care, and I don't want VHS cause I don't have a VCR.

If you cruise a lot, this would be a super bargain tool. The cost of the capture device can vary. I picked up the one shown here for $30 at circuit city after $70 in rebates. And it is used at home as a PVR to record shows that I want to watch later on the go or burn to DVD.

If you need help burning the files to DVD, visit www.vcdhelp.com

• 2 months later...

Archived