What makes HALs room service club sandwich so special?

I keep seeing people go on and on about the room service club sandwich on HAL. I haven't had one yet. But I'm wondering: What's so special about it, as opposed to your regular club sandwich you can get at any diner?

Thanks!

In my opinion, nothing. The one time I ordered one, it was soggy after being under the dome for a few minutes. The turkey wasn't real. It was pressed deli style meat. I wasn't impressed.

I'll take the one from the diner any day.

In my opinion, nothing. The one time I ordered one, it was soggy after being under the dome for a few minutes. The turkey wasn't real. It was pressed deli style meat. I wasn't impressed.

I'll take the one from the diner any day.

Totally agree. I've had one twice and it's nothing special. Ordered it on the Westy and I'm sure they forgot my order when it didn't show up after an hour. I think it was freshly made but it was meh.

Love club sandwiches so was looking forward to trying one on HAL. Tried it on our TA last October on the NA. Nothing special. Rather soggy. I've had much better club sandwiches locally.

Hmm. Well maybe it's just the same two people posting about how good it is over and over and it seemed to me to be a whole bunch of people.

Doesn't sound like something that would impress me. Now, if it was real roast turkey and real ham, not deli ham, then I might be impressed.

Hmm. Well maybe it's just the same two people posting about how good it is over and over and it seemed to me to be a whole bunch of people.

Doesn't sound like something that would impress me. Now, if it was real roast turkey and real ham, not deli ham, then I might be impressed.

That won't happen. I'm rnot a deli meat lover. Maybe the ones that like it are.

I finally tried one on the Noordam in January. It was okay but nothing special. My favorite on the room service menu is the Lox! Seriously, I stopped sailing on Princess years ago because they did not have them available for every meal such as HAL does. As a matter of fact, I could not find them on their buffet at all. So nice to have them brought to the cabin if I don't feel like leaving.

Diane

I had them on Nieuw Amsterdam and really liked them. They had real chicken. On the Zaandam 18 months later, it was pressed chicken and was not impressed at all.

Chicken??

All the clubs I have had over the years in our restaurants have been made with real roasted turkey.

I finally tried one on the Noordam in January. It was okay but nothing special. My favorite on the room service menu is the Lox! Seriously, I stopped sailing on Princess years ago because they did not have them available for every meal such as HAL does. As a matter of fact, I could not find them on their buffet at all. So nice to have them brought to the cabin if I don't feel like leaving.

Diane

Can you have lox at every meal? I've had lox on Princess many times for breakfast. You can get it everyday.

I don't see us going back to the Dive-In on a future cruise.

We did it just to try them and find out about the quality of the meat.

DH was disappointed in the size of the hot dogs but he knew that Nathan's hot dogs are small when he ordered one.

At home I buy sirloin beef when we want a hamburger -- 92% lean -- Black Angus.

Now, if it was real roast turkey and real ham, not deli ham, then I might be impressed.

At the (relatively) low rates that HAL and other mass-market cruise lines charge for most staterooms and itineraries, we're not likely to see "real roast turkey and real ham" at sea on any of them.

I am one poster who has enjoyed HAL club sandwiches. Part of that enjoyment might be because I don't usually eat a club sandwich anywhere but on a ship. Overall, we've had good luck with them -- fresh and tasty. The last time I ordered one though, there was no mayo, and processed cheese had been added. Along with wilted lettuce.

Maybe this one more thing on HAL this is just the luck of the draw -- sometimes great, sometimes :eek:

I am one poster who has enjoyed HAL club sandwiches. Part of that enjoyment might be because I don't usually eat a club sandwich anywhere but on a ship. Overall, we've had good luck with them -- fresh and tasty. The last time I ordered one though, there was no mayo, and processed cheese had been added. Along with wilted lettuce.

Maybe this one more thing on HAL this is just the luck of the draw -- sometimes great, sometimes :eek:

I think you are right. I think it can depend upon the ship and even who the chef/person is in charge of in room dining.

We've had some tasty ones on some of the ships.

People also think the dive in burgers are amazing. I just wonder what people eat that they are so blown away by them.

Maybe because people have different tastes in things. I mean - I know people who go to McDonald's and sneer at me because I go to What-a-burger. I just roll my eyes at them because they obviously don't know a good burger....why do people go on and on and on and on and on about a piece of food they do or do not like. I think we all know cruzchic/others dislikes Dive-in. I think we all know that some people do like Dive-In.

I like things other people do not like and other people like things I do not like. To go on and on about what they don't like is pretty much a waste of energy for me and just irritates them. Kind of like trying to wash a cat or teach a pig to sing.

We all have different tastes. I don't like tripe, salmon, boiled okra, McDonalds or Burger King. I'm fairly certain I will find things on the ship I like and I have promised not to badger my traveling friend because she hates all things that swim and onions.

Maybe because people have different tastes in things. I mean - I know people who go to McDonald's and sneer at me because I go to What-a-burger. I just roll my eyes at them because they obviously don't know a good burger....why do people go on and on and on and on and on about a piece of food they do or do not like. I think we all know cruzchic/others dislikes Dive-in. I think we all know that some people do like Dive-In.

I like things other people do not like and other people like things I do not like. To go on and on about what they don't like is pretty much a waste of energy for me and just irritates them. Kind of like trying to wash a cat or teach a pig to sing.

We all have different tastes. I don't like tripe, salmon, boiled okra, McDonalds or Burger King. I'm fairly certain I will find things on the ship I like and I have promised not to badger my traveling friend because she hates all things that swim and onions.

Exactly.

Most adult persons know food likes and dislikes are so subjective. No one is right and no one is wrong. How can someone tell a person they are wrong to enjoy eating a particular food?

Sure, it's okay to comment it might not be very healthy for them. That is science. But taste...... that is personal.

Maybe it's another not so subtle form of bullying?

One thing this thread has done for me:

I will order a room service club sandwich on our upcoming cruise and determine what I think about it :)

We all appreciate research ;)

Try the room service chocolate cake too (in the name of research of course!)

Exactly.

Most adult persons know food likes and dislikes are so subjective. No one is right and no one is wrong. How can someone tell a person they are wrong to enjoy eating a particular food?

Sure, it's okay to comment it might not be very healthy for them. That is science. But taste...... that is personal.

Maybe it's another not so subtle form of bullying?

IMO, its not even okay to comment that something is not healthy - I learned that lesson the hard way. Opining on people's food choices is a VERY personal thing!!!

That said - I am going to have a Dive In Burger, hot dog, fries with sauce on the side [not at the same time] I plan to have French onion soup, crème brulee, and an assortment of yumminess that I don't normally have.

I don't care for club sandwiches but I will be having chocolate croissants, cookies/milk, and shrimp cocktail from room service.

Then, I'll eat a few salads to balance that out and walk my little short legs off!

Just let me get on that ship!!!

We all appreciate research ;)

Try the room service chocolate cake too (in the name of research of course!)

Thank you for the vote of confidence:D

Besides the room service chocolate cake, there's the grapes. Don't forget the grapes ..... lol

IMO, its not even okay to comment that something is not healthy - I learned that lesson the hard way. Opining on people's food choices is a VERY personal thing!!!

<snip>

You're right. I agree with you.

It is none of my business what someone else chooses to put in their mouths.

I should have been more clear that I would not verbalize about healthful but I possibly could think it. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

So are we not allowed to say we don't like something? I've taken a lot of heat for daring to say I didn't like the westerdam or the dive in. Frankly, I want to hear the good and bad because everything is not sunshine and roses.