Dock Location in Venice

roothy123

Does anyone know where Viking Star will dock in Venice when she does her turnaround cruises there in the spring and fall? I'm curious if it will be the San Basilio location for river ships and smaller cruise lines or the bigger Marittima port area. I suppose that since the cruise starts there, this information is known, so I was wondering if anyone has asked that question of Viking yet. I know port assignments are up to the port, and they may not have made an assignment yet, but I was just curious, as the answer may affect my decisions as to whether or not to store some luggage in Venice for 2 days, and also how we will get to the port.

• 2 weeks later...

In an online trip document giving snippets for each port, Viking writes:

"Central berth, just 20 minutes’ walk from the Doges Palace. Only available to small ships"

I wouldn't count on anything at this time but it's a hopeful sign the ship will not be relegated to the docks used for large cruise ships.

Yes, I saw that, too. I'm hoping we will be docked there, but as you say, we can't really count on that to be true come cruise time.

Now I'm trying to find out if there's luggage storage at the San Basilio terminal. I know it's available at Piazalle Roma, but I would guess that San Basilio would be less crowded. I saw a mention of the service at San Basilio, but without any specifics, and since it was not from an official Venice web site, I don't want to assume it's there if it's not!

I did call Viking to ask if they knew which docking location we'd be using. They said they did not have that information yet but hoped to have it (and other information) by the end of January. There is also something weird in the description Viking gives that I'm unsure about. It mentions a shuttle or something similar from the ship to San Marco square or somewhere else. I hear that some cruise ships provide this (although for a fee!) so I guess it's possible, but on a day in which Viking will be turning over the ship, it seems a little unlikely that they would do that - although I suppose something like that would only require some kind of arrangement for service made in advance, not a tender service, if indeed Viking's tenders are allowed to operate in Venice. In any case, I don't mind doing a little walking from the ship to a vaporetto shop, so it's no big deal to me. However, I WAS curious!

Edited by roothy123