Britannia Maiden Cruise Review

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:54 PM.
Hampshire, England
1,694 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
My wife and I have just returned from the Maiden Cruise on P&O’s latest cruise ship Britannia...

We were very impressed with everything especially the new innovations and the entertainment programme.

A number of days prior to embarkation we had received a letter from Captain Paul Brown informing us that, for the Maiden Cruise, our cabins would be ready for occupation immediately on embarkation: with the added bonus we didn’t have to carry hand luggage to our nominated Caribbean Tier embarkation lounge for a few glasses of champagne and small eats.

We had booked what P&O describe as a 'Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin' which we had chosen on the first day bookings opened. We were well satisfied with everything in that cabin especially the abundance of UK 3-pin sockets.

Britannia has four pools, one of which, The Serenity Pool...

...is in its own quiet area. What a great innovation if you are allergic to children.

Another great innovation is the Limelight Club where, for a £22.00 (less 10% if you are a Caribbean level loyalty club member) can dine on an excellent three course meal and watch a cabaret show by named artists that do not appear anywhere else on the ship. We visited the Limelight Club on two occasions, once to watch madeline bell and the other occasion to see Kiki Dee. Here she is...

A full review with over 50 photographs can be found on my own personal cruise blog....

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/...maiden-cruise/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is in the Blood

Warwickshire, England
1,724 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Excellent review Richard thank you, the more I see of Britannia the more I want to go on her.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess 2012 (again) - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess November 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015 - Emerald Princess May 2016 - Britannia Dec 2016 - Oceana 2017 - Royal Princess June 2018
Manchester, England
292 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Excellent review on your blog, many thanks.
Not going on her till next January (9 months to go) but you've given me plenty to look forward to.

Rick.
Kent, UK
1,952 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Thank you Richard

What a review. Well done.

Only 116 days to go before I get aboard Britannia.

Peter
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chandris Cruises - Fiorita 1970
P&O Cruises - Arcadia 2001
- Oceana 2003
- Oceana 2005
- Britannia 2015
Princess Cruises - Grand Princess 2006
- Emerald Princess 2007
- Emerald Princess 2008
- Emerald Princess 2010
- Island Princess 2012
- Emerald Princess 2014
- Royal Princess 2016
- Crown Princess 2017
Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas 2009
Celebrity Cruises - Constellation 2010
- Solstice 2011
- Reflection 2013
Staffordshire
1,227 Posts
Joined May 2011
Great review.

We were also on the ship and she is beautiful inside but we found her a little too big for our taste so even though we had no moans while on board we are unlikely to revisit her.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
South Yorkshire
341 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Thanks for this review. You must have spent the whole of the cruise writing it. My biggest worry is that I will not have time to try everything. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind :

Limelight -
if you book before you travel do you know who will be performing.
I assume that they have tables for two, is that correct

Self service -
It looks from your photos as though they might have gone for the "island" appoach like celebrity, rather than the traditional self-service. Is this right.

The "secret" deck looked a bit difficult to get to are you sure you were supposed to be there?

We are on Britannia in July

Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
David
Hampshire, England
1,694 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by David Owl
Thanks for this review. You must have spent the whole of the cruise writing it. My biggest worry is that I will not have time to try everything. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind :

Limelight -
if you book before you travel do you know who will be performing.
I assume that they have tables for two, is that correct

Self service -
It looks from your photos as though they might have gone for the "island" appoach like celebrity, rather than the traditional self-service. Is this right.

The "secret" deck looked a bit difficult to get to are you sure you were supposed to be there?

We are on Britannia in July

Thanks
Good afternoon David.

The answer to your first question is Yes, you do know who is performing on each evening in the Limelight Club. Use the Voyage Personaliser and it's all pretty straight forward. and you will get a table that you booked though I know you can change to a larger one providing one is available.

Next is also yes. There are basically two sets of serving counters one forward and one aft (I only pictures the forward one) The central counters are islands.

Finally Deck 19 is perfectly legit. There is actually a similar deck on Arcadia.

Hope that helps and Bon Voyage...

PS. There is a launderette on each deck...

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is in the Blood

South Yorkshire
341 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Thanks for the info Richard.

I have shown the picture of the launderette to my wife. I won't reveal her comments but it is unlikley that she will use it !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
David
Stoke on Trent
590 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Thanks for the comprehensive report. I was also on the maiden cruise and agree with your assessment of the ship. I just hope they maintain her to the current high standards they have set.
Tasmania, Australia
239 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Great review - thank you for taking the time to do it. We're on board at the end of May
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Warsash, United Kingdom
75 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Great review.
Can you view your Bill and order breakfast on your TV like on the Ventura and Azura?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MSC - Caribbean March 2000
Thomson Emerald - Mediterrean May 2007
Coral Princess - Panama Canal December 2008
Voyager of the Seas - Mediterrean May 2009
P&O Ventura - Caribbean March 2010
Independence of the Seas - Paris Mini cruise June 2010
P&O Ventura - Europe April 2011
P&O Azura - Mediterranean October 2011
P&O Azura - Mediterranean/Canaries November 2012
P&O Oceana - Canaries October 2014
P&O Britannia - 2 day ship testing before maiden voyage March 2015
P&O Ventura - Amsterdam & Guernsey short Break May 2015
P&O Azura - Iberia April 2016
P&O Ventura - Canaries January 2017
P&O Azura - Fjords September 2017
P&O Ventura - Canaries December 2018
P&O Ventura - Mediterranean October 2019
Stoke on Trent
590 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Elmbird
Great review.
Can you view your Bill and order breakfast on your TV like on the Ventura and Azura?
The package they are using for the provision of TV services does not currently include this option. It may become available in time but this is not definite. The 'old procedure' of ordering breakfast by pro forma still applies and reception happily print out details of accounts on request. Indeed, on the maiden cruise, we were all automatically provided with a copy of our account after the first week.
Warsash, United Kingdom
75 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Thanks very much, just wondered how it worked because when we were on the Oceana we had to request copy of bills and the queue in reception could be quite long but as long as it doesn't cause a problem then that's fine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MSC - Caribbean March 2000
Thomson Emerald - Mediterrean May 2007
Coral Princess - Panama Canal December 2008
Voyager of the Seas - Mediterrean May 2009
P&O Ventura - Caribbean March 2010
Independence of the Seas - Paris Mini cruise June 2010
P&O Ventura - Europe April 2011
P&O Azura - Mediterranean October 2011
P&O Azura - Mediterranean/Canaries November 2012
P&O Oceana - Canaries October 2014
P&O Britannia - 2 day ship testing before maiden voyage March 2015
P&O Ventura - Amsterdam & Guernsey short Break May 2015
P&O Azura - Iberia April 2016
P&O Ventura - Canaries January 2017
P&O Azura - Fjords September 2017
P&O Ventura - Canaries December 2018
P&O Ventura - Mediterranean October 2019
Nottingham, England
2,204 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Thank you for your review! We also have a Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin booked for the end of June and we can't wait!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
COMING UP!!!

MSC MERAVIGLIA - JULY 2017

SAILED!

Britannia - P&O Cruises - Mini Cruise to Bruges - May 2017 - 2 nights - (Superior Deluxe Balcony)
REVIEW - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2502268
Celebrity Reflection - Miami to Puerto Rico, St Thomas & St Maarten - April 2016 - 7 nights - (Aqua Class Hump Balcony)
REVIEW - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2334071

NCL Escape - NCL - Inaugural Cruise from Hamburg to Southampton - Oct 2015 - 3 nights - (Spa Mini Suite Balcony)
REVIEW - Still not finished - sorry!

Britannia - P&O Cruises - Norwegian Fjords - June 2015 - 7nights - (Superior Deluxe Balcony)
REVIEW! http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2230373

Azamara Quest - Azamara Club Cruises - Cruise to the Greek Islands and Turkey - June 2014
7 nights (Balcony)

REVIEW!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063572

Norwegian Jade - NCL - Eastern Med from Rome - March 2013 - 10 nights (Mini Suite Balcony)
REVIEW!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=kikki21

Norwegian Epic - NCL - Hurricane Earl West/East
Caribbean special from Miami - August 2010 - 7 nights (Balcony)
Splendour of the Seas - RCCL - Eastern Med from Venice - October 2009 - 7 nights (Outside)
Celebrity Galaxy - Celebrity - Eastern Med from Rome - October 2008 - 10 nights (Concierge Class Balcony)
Majesty of the Seas - RCCL - Bahamas from Miami - Nov 2007 - 4 nights (Outside)