Which cruise line to choose.

brownsc

We are interested in a luxury cruise on the Mediterranean. We are in our mid forties and active. I was considering SeaDream but recently read a number of reviews that were less than what I would expect.

Any suggestions?

I've sailed on Windstar on the Med and it was fantastic. I guess it's going to depend on what is important to you. Windstar is not all inclusive, but the fare reflects that. The food is very good to excellent, and the ships are small and intimate and get into a lot of small ports the larger ships can't access.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been following the Viking Star forum here on CC. I am smitten with this ship. 930 passengers, great open design ,and all verandas!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/04/17/viking-star-suites-cabins/25923305/

I will be booking for a 2017 sailing when they are released to the public. By then they should have three of the four ships in the water.

Viking is not a luxury line.

I recommend checking out Seabourn and Silversea.

Yes, Viking promotional material never uses the word luxury. Instead, they use words and phrases: understated elegance, human scale, exploration, discover the explorer in all of us. I think Viking Ocean is finding a unique niche in cruise market. Time will tell.

I have read the Seabourn and Silversea forums.

The only one that is interesting is Silversea. But much of the forum conversation reminds me of a Graham Greene novel with its cast of characters. ;)

Sliversea does go to some very interesting places with its smaller ships.

You will probably get many different responses as each of us has particular considerations which may be more important to us than to someone else. For example, some people prefer ships that are smaller while others may focus on cuisine, service, etc. We have sailed several times on Crystal, our first experience with a luxury line. We found each of the cruises to be extraordinary when it came to service, cuisine. enrichment programs. Howver, the rooms are smaller and the ships are larger than some other luxury lines and beginning to show their age although meticulously maintained. We are now booked with Seabourn, because we wanted to try a smaller, newer ship, and we found an extraordinary itinerary. I cancelled a booking we had made while on board Crystal, so we are paying a whole lot more money, but it is for an itinerary we couldnt find on Crystal. If Seabourn can match Crystal for service and cuisine we will be happy campers.

We are interested in a luxury cruise on the Mediterranean. We are in our mid forties and active. I was considering SeaDream but recently read a number of reviews that were less than what I would expect.

Any suggestions?

How do you define luxury?

Many cruise lines advertise as Luxury lines some are premium lines

What are you really looking for in a cruise ?

formal nights, good food, gourmet food, lecturers, large suites, low key, rocking ship

I enjoyed a Mediterranean cruise on Crystal. It has somewhat larger ships than the other luxury cruise lines so there are more choices on board for entertainment and activities and dining, which I appreciate. I suspect that service is about comparable (very high) for all the luxury cruise lines so I recommend you choose based on the itineraries offered and the type of ship you want to sail. (I want to try SeaDream as it it likely a totally different experience than the other cruise lines, but I have read that it is particularly good for the Caribbean.)

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal ships would be a bit large for us. Although we sail mostly on Regent, we do enjoy two of Silversea's ships, the Whisper and Shadow (both holding approximately 380 passengers). Have not sailed on Seabourn but have heard good reports (the only negative for us is that smoking is allowed on balconies).

Yes, Viking promotional material never uses the word luxury. Instead, they use words and phrases: understated elegance, human scale, exploration, discover the explorer in all of us. I think Viking Ocean is finding a unique niche in cruise market. Time will tell.

I have read the Seabourn and Silversea forums.

The only one that is interesting is Silversea. But much of the forum conversation reminds me of a Graham Greene novel with its cast of characters. ;)

Sliversea does go to some very interesting places with its smaller ships.

LESS than positive reviews of Viking are now out there. It will probably come to rest comfortably in a much lower than luxury position.

Hi there,

We've just read your request to try and establish "which cruise line to choose" and not sure if this reply is going to be to late and if it is will hopefully serve as food for thought on your next cruise.

We were in the same situation just over a year ago and had trawled through all of the crusie lines and were getting no where fast until OCEANIA appeared on the screens. After a lot of research we were convinced we'd found the ideal cruise for our overdue 4 year honeymoon:)) Mind you that's another story.

We joined the Riviera in Oct'15 at Istanbul and enjoyed a 10 day cruise in a PH3 cabin 9138 around the black sea. We were convinced we got an incredible deal, a cancellation for sure and possibly due to the tensions between Ukraine and Russia at the time. However, we had the most amazing cruise of a lifetime.

We were going to write a review but someone managed to put into words everything and more and therefore as they'd cruised for many years felt that their review would highlight everything we wanted to say so will leave you with that and hope you have an enjoyable cruise wherever that may be:))

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=260394

http://www.cruiseline.co.uk/This-Golden-Riviera

All the best,

P & S

MUCH lower. Probably similar to its position ion the river cruise market compared to lines like Tauck and Scenic.

Agree. The reviews are painting them as a mass market line, nothing more. Sorting through marketing chafe isn't that difficult once the reviews begin coming in. Given their position in the river cruising market, there was no way I was going to think their ocean going ship would be any different.

Agree. The reviews are painting them as a mass market line, nothing more. Sorting through marketing chafe isn't that difficult once the reviews begin coming in. Given their position in the river cruising market, there was no way I was going to think their ocean going ship would be any different.

Viking Star currently has three passenger's reviews posted. Looking forward to more in the coming months. The common speech oaths ship has been well thought out and has many intriguing features: pool area, spa, al fresco dining options, the Living room area..

Still a modern new ship with a more light, open design, all verandas no OV or inside cabins.

I just watched a slide show of the Windstar remodel of a Seabourn ship. It looked like a small country club setting with heavy drapes, small bar area,dining room that felt closed and crowed. The staterooms viewed looked like a B&B in a Victorian house. Nothing wrong with it, if that is your cup of tea. But it is not mine...

Viking Star currently has three passenger's reviews posted. Looking forward to more in the coming months. The common speech oaths ship has been well thought out and has many intriguing features: pool area, spa, al fresco dining options, the Living room area..

Still a modern new ship with a more light, open design, all verandas no OV or inside cabins.

I just watched a slide show of the Windstar remodel of a Seabourn ship. It looked like a small country club setting with heavy drapes, small bar area,dining room that felt closed and crowed. The staterooms viewed looked like a B&B in a Victorian house. Nothing wrong with it, if that is your cup of tea. But it is not mine...

All of the things you describe doesn't make it a luxury ship. Most of the same could be said about the Oasis, which is as mass market as it gets.

There are other reviews on others sites. I suggest you might want to read them before booking if you are still thinking Viking Star is a luxury ship.

All of the things you describe doesn't make it a luxury ship. Most of the same could be said about the Oasis, which is as mass market as it gets.

There are other reviews on others sites. I suggest you might want to read them before booking if you are still thinking Viking Star is a luxury ship.

Could you tell me which sites beyond CC have current passengers review?

Will never set foot on a RC ship or any ship that holds over 2500 folks.:eek:

Also want a variety of passengers, great service, great itineraries, long ports days or even overnights, less sea days.

I have been reading the members review of the "luxury" lines. Crystal, Oceania, going down the list. The reviews reveal what cruisers hold most dear on a cruise.

and they are not necessarily what I would focus upon.

What makes a true luxury line is not the hardware, it's the software, the service and crew so all the light, open spaces in the world will not make up for an inferior staff. there are many lovely Marriott or Hilton properties but none of them will ever equal a Four Seasons because the staff and attitude is completely different.

Could you tell me which sites beyond CC have current passengers review?

Will never set foot on a RC ship or any ship that holds over 2500 folks.:eek:

Also want a variety of passengers, great service, great itineraries, long ports days or even overnights, less sea days.

I have been reading the members review of the "luxury" lines. Crystal, Oceania, going down the list. The reviews reveal what cruisers hold most dear on a cruise.

and they are not necessarily what I would focus upon.

If Crystal is moving down your list due to size, age of ships, dining rules, or itinerary I can understand it. However, based on our experience, albeit it has only been a total of six weeks and two cruises, the service is extraordinary. The food consistently met or exceeded our expectations as well, and we appreciate fine dining. I cannot compare it to the other luxury lines (we will be trying Seabourn soon), but we would be hard pressed to find better, more pleasant service.

If Crystal is moving down your list due to size, age of ships, dining rules, or itinerary I can understand it. However, based on our experience, albeit it has only been a total of six weeks and two cruises, the service is extraordinary. The food consistently met or exceeded our expectations as well, and we appreciate fine dining. I cannot compare it to the other luxury lines (we will be trying Seabourn soon), but we would be hard pressed to find better, more pleasant service.

Thank you for sharing the important points for you on your Crystal sailing.

I do believe that all service will be fabulous on any of these lines. The age of ships, the size of the ordinary veranda cabins, and the ports of call and length of time in each port are things that are important to me.

Crystal is still in the running.

The Viking Star will have been almost through its maiden season when I finally book my luxury cruise for 2017 by the end of this year. I want to do a Baltic or Northern Europe cruise without the Russia stop. I have plenty of time to continue my research and reading here on CC.

What makes a true luxury line is not the hardware, it's the software, the service and crew so all the light, open spaces in the world will not make up for an inferior staff. there are many lovely Marriott or Hilton properties but none of them will ever equal a Four Seasons because the staff and attitude is completely different.

Interesting - I know several Seabourn staff who have left to work on the new Viking Star......

That's probably because Seabourn just got rid of its three small ships and people needed to work. And it doesn't mean they will be able to function the same way. For Viking Star passengers I certainly hope they do.