How do you define a LUXURY CRUISE LINE?

Bimmer09

Luxury Cruise Line

Premier Cruise Line

What are your criteria when defining a cruise line as one of the categories above?

What makes a Luxury Cruise Line in particular (regardless of brochure claims)?

I intend to post this on multiple boards;

Azamara

Crystal

Cunard

Seabourn

Regent Seven Seas

Oceania

Silversea

Sea Dream Yacht Club

I am hoping some of you may have sailed one or more of these lines, but even if you haven't what would you expect?

As you see from my signature I am familiar (currently) with only one cruise line-Princess which would fit a third category- Mass Market Cruise Line.

My idea of what a Luxury Line would be like is therefore not based on any personal experience, but what I would expect to see among the criteria is the following;

A small fleet with a high crew to passenger ratio: say 1 crew member to every 2 passengers (includes non-customer facing crew as in deck and engine crew)

A passenger count of less than say 1200.

A service culture that thinks "let me see what I can do" rather than "no" as a first reaction

A service team that anticipates your needs

A service team that looks engaged and happy in their work

A ship kept in immaculate condition despite her workload

Accommodation that doesn't disappoint or need immediate repair

A welcome aboard after a smooth embarkation process

A lack of nickel and diming and high pressure sales

Friendly and efficient bar service with drinks where the alcohol is apparent and not implied (LOL)

A feeling that your safety and security are paramount

Port excursions that give value for money/ ports less traveled

Cuisine-meals that are well prepared with the best of ingredients and attention to plating and temperature

Entertainment appropriate to the venue and the passenger demographic

Lack of sewage smell while you are eating caviar wearing your dinner jacket (LOL)

A line where your expectations are met at every turn

I look forward to any other "must-haves" if one is to be called a ship of a Luxury Line.

Thanks in advance!

Norris

• Like 1

Norris,

I see one problem with your basic premise: you are asking many passengers who've sailed on non-luxury lines what their definitions are of luxury lines. So I am wondering how you can rate the answers.

Now, we ourselves haven't sailed on any luxury lines. We did sail on the QE2 in the Queens Grill about 10 years ago, but we wouldn't have categorized that as a "luxury" line even though Cunard definitely was class-oriented.

We mostly sail Oceania, which doesn't claim to be luxury. We've done a couple on NCL, definitely not luxury. One on Princess many, MANY years ago. Again, not luxury.

So what are we looking for? I guess, pretty much what we find on Oceania. it is somewhat class-oriented ... if you book a more expensive cabin, you get extra benefits. Like you, we look to smaller ships with a relatively high ratio of crew to passengers. (We've been comfortable with that ratio on all the lines we've cruised on. We definitely do not need constant attendance ... in fact, when we first had a butler we didn't know what to do with him ...other than to ignore him. Later on we figured out how to take advantage of the privilege. We still don't use him all that much.)

In looking through your suggestions, I would say that in general Oceania qualifies as luxury by your definitions ... but it doesn't claim to be luxury. And I agree.

An exception would be your definition of shore excursions ... O's are overpriced in comparison to other lines and what you can do on your own ... although most of the ship's tours we've taken (mostly we do DIY) have been fine.

Oceania also lacks in the entertainment area, but I won't be the first person to say that. Then again, the entertainment aspect of a cruise is not all that important to US.

Not sure if this is of any help to you ...

Mura

We sailed on the Europa 2. I would call that a true luxury ship. It has a space ratio of 80, 350 crew for just 500 passengers. I think the ships in this category should be fairly new with all the latest innovations. Have all large veranda cabins with no bad locations. All food should be cooked to order just like a 5 star land restaurant and have open sitting with service as you describe. The word no should not be in their vocabulary. I also think the new Regent ship will fit this. Things like AI and shore trips do not matter to me. What I really put a price tag on is walking around and never seeing a crowd or line and being able to sit down where and when I want. I also think a moving dome over the pool area is a must so it can be enjoyed regardless of where the ship is or the weather outside. All should be treated exactly the same regardless of the cabin category,

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I think your list is a pretty good one, although what is most important for a luxury varies from person to person.

You missed two important items. First of all, open seating dining. Very important to us at least, and it excludes Crystal, for instance.

Another important item is the type and size of standard cabins. Preferably no Inside cabins, all-balcony. That's pretty much the case for Regent, save a handful of window suites on Navigator. And a good size suite.

The passenger to staff ratio is important, as is the passenger to space ratio.

And all-inclusive for tips and alcohol, bottom line.

I've sailed mostly on Regent, and the Paul Gauguin, with one cruise on Oceania Riviera.

We have only cruised on Seabourn, Regent, and Oceania. I would say only Seabourn and Regent are luxury lines. Oceania is a step down.

Jack- thank you for the response. It's the sort of thing I am looking for- Oceania is a level below Seabourn and Regent in your estimation.

So- how did they differ? What was missing from the experience?

Norris

First, I must compliment you on your detailed post. Answering it will be a bit of a challenge:-)

Let me address your list:

Azamara - a premium cruise line rather than a luxury one

Crystal - luxury but with set seating (unless you make a reservation for open seating). Small cabins but excellent service.

Cunard - Mainstream cruise line with a section devoted to "luxury" travelers. I would not cruise on Cunard - no matter what the cost.

Seabourn- Great cruise line BUT (but BUT) - they allow smoking on balconies and in some lounges (shared space - YUCK!)

Regent Seven Seas - To be 100% truthful - this is our cruise line of choice - despite the included excursions (that we do not care for - except on select itineraries). Country Club Casual environment -- friendly passengers -- great suites.

Oceania - The new ships (Riviera and Marina) are amazing. The food (ONLY in the specialty restaurants is equal to or better than Regent). Excursions are twice the price of most other cruise lines. The main dining room is mediocre at best and the Terrace Café (buffet) is lacking.

Silversea - We have sailed Silversea three times. They are almost equal to Regent (and in some ways are better). Silversea has been for sale for a long time (is privately owned) and, according to recent cruisers is going downhill.

Sea Dream Yacht Club - I have read very good and very bad things about Sea Dream Yacht Club. As long as there are no children or large groups on board, this can be a great experience. Are you willing to risk it? Their ships are very small!

Regent meets most, if not all of the things on your list. IMO, no cruise line is perfect. Regent suites are spacious (particularly on the Voyager and Navigator -- slightly smaller "standard" suites on the Mariner.

The bar includes top shelf drinks such as Grey Goose vodka, Patron tequila, etc. There is no issue in terms of getting the drinks (type of strength) that you wish.

Have to comment about a smooth embarkation (and disembarkation). While Regent does an excellent job, there can be delays based on a few things. If there is a Coast Guard inspection on the ship, there will be a delay. Some ports (Russia and India come to mind) also cause delays.

There is absolutely no nickel and diming on Regent. You can board the ship, take a cruise of any length and not spend 1 penny more than the cost of the cruise.

In terms of "wearing your dinner jacket" - practically no one would even wear a dinner jacket (cruises more than 15 night do have "formal optional nights" but perhaps 50% of passengers wear suits.

I'm worn out from answering questions. No one can really define "luxury cruising". It depends upon your personal expectations. Nothing is perfect..... however, for us, Regent works very well. Hope this helps.

Edited by Travelcat2

Norris,

I see one problem with your basic premise: you are asking many passengers who've sailed on non-luxury lines what their definitions are of luxury lines. So I am wondering how you can rate the answers.

In looking through your suggestions, I would say that in general Oceania qualifies as luxury by your definitions ... but it doesn't claim to be luxury. And I agree.

to US.

Not sure if this is of any help to you ...

Mura

Mura, my thanks for the response.

If you look at my signature you will see I am am happy Princess Cruiser and usually stay in butler-free suites. We like their ships, the food and the service.

Would we like smaller crowds, even better food and a higher crew to passenger ratio? (rhetorical)

We have been sailing with 3,000 pax and 1200 crew but did one cruise on the Ocean Princess (R class ship also used by Oceania and Azamara) with 680 pax and 400 crew. Nice, but the service level was no greater than the big ships.

With so many cruises on the same line we are also up for branching out into the unknown to the kind of ships I highlighted in my heading. I am the researcher.

If a cruise line provides an outstanding experience yet doesn't claim to be a Luxury Line in their marketing then I feel warm and fuzzy towards them. This is why Azamara and Oceania are in my mix.

I hope to be informed-the reason for my post across the boards- before I take the plunge on homing in on my first "step above Princess to Premier or Luxury line" cruise.

You have been helpful indeed.

Thank you!

Norris

As I have stated many times, I believe the stratification and segmentation of upper level lines are just oh-so-much marketing BS.

A Luxury Cruise Line is one that delivers an adult vacation experience with class and dignity, one that exceeds your normal real life experience. One that delivers excellence at all levels and provides delight in every aspect of your trip, without logistical stress.

Where any line fits on some sliding scale is secondary..and may just make fun conversation. :cool:

As a luxury cruiser (Regent and Silversea), I can tell you that Oceania's alcohol package is $60/person/day. If you purchase a martini, without the package, it will likely cost $10 +18% gratuity (and unless you are in a specific bar, the martinis as small). While I enjoyed Oceania very much, there was too much nickel and diming for us!

Edited by Travelcat2

I think your list is a pretty good one, although what is most important for a luxury varies from person to person.

You missed two important items. First of all, open seating dining. Very important to us at least, and it excludes Crystal, for instance.

Another important item is the type and size of standard cabins. Preferably no Inside cabins, all-balcony. That's pretty much the case for Regent, save a handful of window suites on Navigator. And a good size suite.

And all-inclusive for tips and alcohol, bottom line.

I've sailed mostly on Regent, and the Paul Gauguin, with one cruise on Oceania Riviera.

Wendy thanks for the response.

Fixed dining does not appeal to us and we have only had it forced upon us on one ship (a small Princess R Class). We usually do Anytime Dining as we go to shows and don't mind eating late (often after 9 pm)

All inclusive alcohol- one of us drinks (me) so there wouldn't be any value there for my Traveling Companion. At most I drink 4 bottles of wine at dinner (for the week not each night!) and maybe $200 worth of beer in warm climes.

We have been given drinks packages by Celebrity for our first non-Princess cruise next January but they include all non-alcoholic drinks too so we will get some benefit.

We would never think of an inside cabin as we have to see the sea at all times and usually book aft suites on Princess but if on a pricier luxury line would likely have to book a balcony cabin to temper the cost.

As you have experienced two of the lines on my list could you tell me the difference on the "satisfaction meter" between your Regent and Oceania experiences?

Thanks again,

Norris

Luxury Cruise Line

Premier Cruise Line

What are your criteria when defining a cruise line as one of the categories above?

What makes a Luxury Cruise Line in particular (regardless of brochure claims)?

I intend to post this on multiple boards;

Azamara

Crystal

Cunard

Seabourn

Regent Seven Seas

Oceania

Silversea

Sea Dream Yacht Club

I am hoping some of you may have sailed one or more of these lines, but even if you haven't what would you expect?

As you see from my signature I am familiar (currently) with only one cruise line-Princess which would fit a third category- Mass Market Cruise Line.

My idea of what a Luxury Line would be like is therefore not based on any personal experience, but what I would expect to see among the criteria is the following;

A small fleet with a high crew to passenger ratio: say 1 crew member to every 2 passengers (includes non-customer facing crew as in deck and engine crew)

A passenger count of less than say 1200.

A service culture that thinks "let me see what I can do" rather than "no" as a first reaction

A service team that anticipates your needs

A service team that looks engaged and happy in their work

A ship kept in immaculate condition despite her workload

Accommodation that doesn't disappoint or need immediate repair

A welcome aboard after a smooth embarkation process

A lack of nickel and diming and high pressure sales

Friendly and efficient bar service with drinks where the alcohol is apparent and not implied (LOL)

A feeling that your safety and security are paramount

Port excursions that give value for money/ ports less traveled

Cuisine-meals that are well prepared with the best of ingredients and attention to plating and temperature

Entertainment appropriate to the venue and the passenger demographic

Lack of sewage smell while you are eating caviar wearing your dinner jacket (LOL)

A line where your expectations are met at every turn

I look forward to any other "must-haves" if one is to be called a ship of a Luxury Line.

Thanks in advance!

Norris

I would add the Paul Gauguin..unfortunately they only sail in one area..

Jancruz1

As a luxury cruiser (Regent and Silversea), I can tell you that Oceania's alcohol package is $60/person/day. If you purchase a martini, without the package, it will likely cost $10 +18% gratuity (and unless you are in a specific bar, the martinis as small). While I enjoyed Oceania very much, there was too much nickel and diming for us!

Nickel and dining is not good but I spend over $400 on Princess (7 days) without a package. I imagine having a package might make you drink more freely and I will find out if that is the case when I cruise Celebrity.

Celebrity is providing us with a butler and I imagine his main job will be to carry me back to my cabin....

Thanks for the response!

Norris

• Haha 1

We sailed on the Europa 2. I would call that a true luxury ship. It has a space ratio of 80, 350 crew for just 500 passengers. I think the ships in this category should be fairly new with all the latest innovations. Have all large veranda cabins with no bad locations. All food should be cooked to order just like a 5 star land restaurant and have open sitting with service as you describe. The word no should not be in their vocabulary. I also think the new Regent ship will fit this. Things like AI and shore trips do not matter to me. What I really put a price tag on is walking around and never seeing a crowd or line and being able to sit down where and when I want. I also think a moving dome over the pool area is a must so it can be enjoyed regardless of where the ship is or the weather outside. All should be treated exactly the same regardless of the cabin category,

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the response.

I am not familiar with the Europa 2. Can you tell me more?

Agreed re the Magrodome over the pool.

Norris

I think the first question you need to answer is how YOU define luxury.

Everyone is different and only when you have answered the question can you decide whether a particular cruise line offers you the luxury experience you are looking for.

As I have stated many times, I believe the stratification and segmentation of upper level lines are just oh-so-much marketing BS.

A Luxury Cruise Line is one that delivers an adult vacation experience with class and dignity, one that exceeds your normal real life experience. One that delivers excellence at all levels and provides delight in every aspect of your trip, without logistical stress.

Where any line fits on some sliding scale is secondary..and may just make fun conversation. :cool:

Ron- it's the marketing BS I hope to avoid by posing my question. I hope to see through any smoke and mirrors by hearing from people with first-hand experience.

I have highlighted in red your perfect definition. Very succinct and nicely put.

I was pretty much unaware of the Oceania ships and style until I read your excellent photo reviews. My thanks for that. I liked what I saw and read.

Cheers!

Norris

First, I must compliment you on your detailed post. Answering it will be a bit of a challenge:-)

Cunard - Mainstream cruise line with a section devoted to "luxury" travelers. I would not cruise on Cunard - no matter what the cost.

Sea Dream Yacht Club - I have read very good and very bad things about Sea Dream Yacht Club. As long as there are no children or large groups on board, this can be a great experience. Are you willing to risk it? Their ships are very small!

Regent meets most, if not all of the things on your list. IMO, no cruise line is perfect. Regent suites are spacious (particularly on the Voyager and Navigator -- slightly smaller "standard" suites on the Mariner.

I'm worn out from answering questions. No one can really define "luxury cruising". It depends upon your personal expectations. Nothing is perfect..... however, for us, Regent works very well. Hope this helps.

Good heavens- I didn't mean to wear you out! A stiff cocktail might be in order-put it on my tab.

A great generous response from which I have pulled a few paragraphs...

the remark about Cunard...why wouldn't you cruise with them?

Sea Dream- big drawback for me there is the lack of balconies

Regent-spacious suites sounds good and you seem to lean toward them in many regards. I have berthed behind the Navigator in Alaska and thought her handsome. Does she have aft suites? We like to live aft (no wind, wake view)

Thanks for the feedback!

Norris

2 cats but neither of them travel

I think the first question you need to answer is how YOU define luxury.

Everyone is different and only when you have answered the question can you decide whether a particular cruise line offers you the luxury experience you are looking for.

Ageed, which is why I listed some of the things that would make me feel like I was experiencing the luxury that the brochure promised.

Rather than take a leap of faith at a considerable financial cost I am hoping to hear from passengers with real world experience of the lines I mentioned.

Thanks for the response, minz!

Norris

But the excursions are well run and reliable.

Well run and reliable=little chance of buyer's remorse.

Thanks for the feedback!

Norris