Blog which includes some technical aspects of Star

roothy123

Maybe people are no longer interested in blogs and pictures, but I'm catching up by reading a blog or two I hadn't had time to look at before. Here's a fairly interesting one if you're interested in some of the more technical aspects of the Star:

http://www.avidcruiser.com/2015/05/14/viking-star-christening-voyage-day-3-sailing-the-north-sea/

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe people are no longer interested in blogs and pictures, but I'm catching up by reading a blog or two I hadn't had time to look at before. Here's a fairly interesting one if you're interested in some of the more technical aspects of the Star:

http://www.avidcruiser.com/2015/05/14/viking-star-christening-voyage-day-3-sailing-the-north-sea/

Found this to be a good report but surprised that The vast majority of the 50 day guests were Australian.

I find that really surprising too. Being two of those 125 50-dayers, the majority of 50-dayers we met were either from the USA or Canada. We did meet some 50-day Australians, but not that many.

Would love to hear from some of those Aussies who were 50-dayers how they managed to book on the maiden voyage of the Star. I tried to do so, initially through Vacations to Go website but was told that bookings were not available to Aussies. Then tried through my TA who even contacted the Viking London office to book - again, not open to Aussies at that time. All this was November 2013. Advice was that the Aussie market would not be opened until December or January. Finally made my deposit on 14 January 2014 but by that time the maiden voyage in 2015 was fully booked so had to settle for the 2016 50-dayer in March 2016. At that time, the itinerary for 2016 was advertised as being the same as for 2015, so I happily paid my deposit. Now, not quite so happy as anyone who has followed my threads on CC re radical itinerary changes for 2016 will know:(Even so, I'm not going to pull out but will embark with a positive attitude to enjoy the 50 days to the max:D It will be an awesome experience!

Found this to be a good report but surprised that The vast majority of the 50 day guests were Australian.

We also find it hard to believe that the majority of 50 day guests on the maiden voyage were Australian. We found it very difficult to find a TA that had heard of the Viking Oceans cruuse here let alone be able to book it. The Viking office here promised to call me with information but never called. I finally found one that did and was only able to book for 2016 as 2015 was sold out.

We are so looking forward to this great adventure in March next year. We are also very appreciative of all the tips and thoughts from those on previous cruises. Most Australians travel for extended periods to Europe due to the travel distance.