requesting info about Princess Cays

Gramsk

Can anyone tell me if Princess Cays is Wheelchair accessible, do they have walkways that are firm to roll a wheelchair on. Can you get around to the shops, bar-b-que area, restrooms, etc?

Yes, you can get around Princess Cay. As you face the island you can get to everything on the left side of the island. I would suggest not reserving a cabana as these are (or were in May, 2005) only available if you can do about 10 or 12 stairs as you must cross a bridge that has steps to get there. If you want to go out in the sand they will let you use a sand chair - one with the fat wheels. You can get to the restrooms, bar-b-q area and there are plenty of chairs under trees if you need shade. The pathway to the various areas is paved. Have a wonderful cruise.

In February they wouldn't let me take a beach wheelchair to take my 15 year old down to the beach.

Both of my girls were able to roll on the walkways and go in the store without any problem.

They ran out of food before 12:00 so get your food as soon as it's out.

You will have to tender so if the sea conditions aren't right they will not allow you to board the tender unless you are able to walk.

February 06 we are just going to stay on the ship and swim.

In February they wouldn't let me take a beach wheelchair to take my 15 year old down to the beach.

I'm curious about this one. Are you saying they would not allow you to use the beach wheelchair? What reason did they give for this or what did they tell you? Or do they require that their own people push them? I just can't imagaine why they they wouldn't let somebody in a wc use the beach wc -- after all that is what they are there for. Maybe I'm missing something though...

Candy

Candy

They had 2 of them and told me that they were only to be used in the event that someone was injured and needed to be brought off the beach.

The other issue is that the cabanas are on the side of the island that has steps going over a bridge.

In February we are going to just stay on the ship and swim and on the way home stop in Daytona Beach where I know they have free beach wheelchairs because we have used them before.

The funny thing was I asked the 2 clueless guys watching over the beach wheelchairs what happens if someone gets hurt on the side of the island that you have to go over the steps. Now you and I both know that you would put the chair on a boat and take it to the other side but those rocket scientist couldn't figure that out.

Yes, you can get around Princess Cay. As you face the island you can get to everything on the left side of the island. I would suggest not reserving a cabana as these are (or were in May, 2005) only available if you can do about 10 or 12 stairs as you must cross a bridge that has steps to get there. If you want to go out in the sand they will let you use a sand chair - one with the fat wheels. You can get to the restrooms, bar-b-q area and there are plenty of chairs under trees if you need shade. The pathway to the various areas is paved. Have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you so much for your info. We will probably just go to see what's it all about have lunch and return to the ship by noon. If we can't go because of rough waters it won't be disappointing.

Candy

They had 2 of them and told me that they were only to be used in the event that someone was injured and needed to be brought off the beach.

Just when I thought I'd heard everything!! Good grief, that's one of the stupidest (them not you cjh) comments I've ever read!! (and believe me I've read a lot of stupid!).

I know about the step issue to the cabana side of the island -- I've had a *lot* of complaints about that one.

Anyway, CJH, I'm not sure where *home* is, but lots of places n Florida have beach wheelcahirs (for regular use). Here is a list

http://www.floridastateparks.org/information/AccessForAll.cfm#Wheelchairs

Canaveral Seashore is also good

http://www.nbbd.com/godo/cns/accessibility.html

And if you are over at Clearwater Beach, they have one at the lifeguard station near Pier 60.

Candy

Incredibly enough, we were told this same stupid comment (about the use of the beach wheelchair being reserved only for use for anyone who is injured and not for use by disabled passengers) on the Holland American private island, Half Moon Cay. And we've been there several times over the years and always have been told this.

As for Princess Cay, I'm not sure if that situation that CJH ran into was a "temporary" one or not. Several years ago, when we went to Princess Cay, they had beach wheelchairs for use by the disabled. I had read CJH's cruise review when they came back from their cruise and was very disturbed to read this. So when we were looking at booking a Caribbean Princess cruise that would stop at Princess Cay a few months ago, I contacted Princess to ask about this. I was told that the beach wheelchairs that they had for passenger use were damaged in the hurricane last year that had hit Princess Cay and that the beach wheelchairs they had there in the interim were brought in for emergency purposes. But they claim that the beach wheelchairs for passenger use had now arrived and were available for use by disabled passengers to go to the beach.

It would certainly be nice if someone who was going to Princess Cays in the next few months could find out if this is really true that they now have beach wheelchairs for general use by the disabled.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be there in the next two weeks and will report back about the beach wheelchairs. My brother - whom we're traveling with as he is getting married on this cruise - just fell off a roof and shattered his heel. The Dr. has advised him not to go on vacation - but since it's for his wedding and there will be 25 of us, he's not taking the doc's advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Report on the sand wheelchairs:

I saw a couple of people using these and had inquired about these montrous machines....they said that they did borrow them from Princess Cays and were being pushed by the family member themself. I hope that they are available for you when you get there.

Also - in regards to the food, I had read many places that the BBQ is gone by noon.....when I was there last week - this was not the case at all. Everytime something ran out, it was replenished very quickly.

Archived