Cabin selection questions

comcox

The less expensive cabins appear to be over the restaurant and I am wandering about noise filtering up from there. Has anyone sailed in one of these cabins and is noise an issue at all?

I ask because we once had a beautiful veranda cabin on Holland America only to discover in the evenings we could hear music and occasional announcements from the dining room speakers below our cabin--awful experience. We also go to bed earlier than many other passengers.

Are there any other cabins areas that should be avoided when booking?

Thanks.

We were on the 3rd deck above the restaurant for 15 days and didn't hear a sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's good to hear since we are booked for one of the aft-most cabins right over the stern on deck 3 for our upcoming cruise on the Star.

You may have the same room - 3097. It was great to enjoy the departure from Flam watching the fjord unfold before my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Close! We will be in the cabin next door to the one you had for your cruise - #3095. We have had a stern cabin before on the Disney Wonder. We had no complaints about it and had a huge veranda that was much larger than the cabin which was quite large itself.

Well, question turned out to be a bit moot as those standard veranda cabins over the restaurant were already sold out--for 2017 already! Only standard left were way forward and over theatre--no thanks.

Ended up with mid-ship deluxe veranda, bit more than we wanted to pay but the itinerary and date was what we wanted (Grand Mediterranean 19 Feb. 2017).

Well, question turned out to be a bit moot as those standard veranda cabins over the restaurant were already sold out--for 2017 already! Only standard left were way forward and over theatre--no thanks

Uh oh. Do we know something bad about being way forward over the theater? We're booked in 3008. From what I've read on here, there's not a lot happening in there (in terms of loud music, etc.) and it's pretty much lights out at 10 anyway. It ain't exactly a Carnival Cruise Crowd!

Anybody with experience 'upfront' they care to share?

I haven't been on this ship before but from cruising on several other ships I have experienced a lot of pitching when the sea gets rough and I'm not a fan of that up and down movement.

I will be in cabin 3084 in September. Happy to hear that being over the restaurant is not a problem. After waiting more than two years for this cruise, I can't wait much longer. Sooooo excited!!

Diane

I, too, will be in Cabin 3084 in September hopefully at a different time from you and also looking forward to a new ship and the beautiful ports from Barcelona to Venice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Uh oh. Do we know something bad about being way forward over the theater? We're booked in 3008. From what I've read on here, there's not a lot happening in there (in terms of loud music, etc.) and it's pretty much lights out at 10 anyway. It ain't exactly a Carnival Cruise Crowd!

Anybody with experience 'upfront' they care to share?

I, too, will be in Cabin 3084 in September hopefully at a different time from you and also looking forward to a new ship and the beautiful ports from Barcelona to Venice.

We just got our assignment (had booked a guarantee) and are in 3088. Any concerns we should prepare ourselves for ahead of time? Noise from the theater is the biggest concern I guess?

We just got our assignment (had booked a guarantee) and are in 3088. Any concerns we should prepare ourselves for ahead of time? Noise from the theater is the biggest concern I guess?

You're at the wrong end of the ship for theater noise. You are at the Restaurant end.

Oops, slip of the finger

Was what I meant!

We were in 3010 and never heard anything. Full disclosure is that we were seldom in our cabin in the afternoon as we were in port and the one sea day I don't recall anything. A couple of times we were there when a show was going on, getting a late start and no sound noises come to mind. I have heard others mention it but they probably can hear the dog whistle too. Yoou should be fine I'm thinking.

We were in 3010 and never heard anything. Full disclosure is that we were seldom in our cabin in the afternoon as we were in port and the one sea day I don't recall anything. A couple of times we were there when a show was going on, getting a late start and no sound noises come to mind. I have heard others mention it but they probably can hear the dog whistle too. Yoou should be fine I'm thinking.

Thanks!

We are booked into cabin # 4069. Any comments?

Convenient! 4069 is right by the aft elevator lobby. On any other cruise line, I would be concerned but most Viking guests are not loud and raucous and you just don't get a lot of noise from the corridors and elevator lobbies. I stepped out into the corridor one morning and was surprised at how much activity was going on; I hadn't heard a thing.

4th floor is nice. Walk up 3 right to the World Cafe or head forward to Wintergarden & Explorer Lounge.

Walk down 2 to The Restaurant or walk 3 to disembark or visit the other 2 specialty restaurants.

I don't think there's a bad location on the ships.