Veranda cabin questions

DianeLikesToTravel

how inadequate is the drawer space?

also we will be in one of v2 verandas and the mini bar is not replenished..is there bottled water in the room? Will they hand it out before excursions like on the River Cruises?

I can answer some but not all. There is no alarm clock in any of the stateroom categories. There was not bottled water brought to the rooms but a large carafe and 2 glasses. Yes there was bottled water handed out at the gang planks before you left on excursions. I had brought a small plastic funnel along and glad I did because inevitably I'd want a bottle of water when not going on an excursion and I would fill up an empty bottle out of the carafe.

Cannot answer about your specific category as we were in a different category. Maybe someone else can answer those questions.

Haven't been on Star yet so can't help. However, I hear there's no space taken up by life jackets, so I'm planning to use that space (above the hangers, I believe) if what we have in our DV 6 room isn't enough. I usually have some casual stuff that would be fine up there (for example, heavy sweater for cold al fresco dining or sailaways). Usually I overpack a bit. On a cruise ship, if I need more space, I just put the stuff I'm unlikely to use a lot (if at all) in my suitcase under the bed. I also remove stuff we won't use (hairdryer and big bottle of water that is NOT complimentary, for example) from drawers or desk top to free up a little more space and personalize "my" room. Not sure if Star has little bedside nightstands, but if so, I'll put reading material, ipad if I had one, etc. in there. Little things that can disappear behind drawers in the closet (small socks, jewelry, MP3 player) will go there, too, or else the desk drawer.

There's 24 hour room service, plus you can get ice, so I don't think it matters that much what's in the mini-fridge. When we go out, my husband and I share one bottle. I don't like to go out without water, but I also don't like to be bogged down with stuff I won't use, either, just because it's offered to me.

Roothy - yes the nightstands have one small drawer and a little cubbie space underneath. Plus (that we didn't notice until we were packing to go home after 49 days) a pull-out shelf to put drinks on I guess, right above the drawer.

Hi, sitraveler - yes I heard they have wake-up calls, but our phone didn't work for our 50-days. Any time we tried to call anyone, it would always go to room service. :rolleyes: It wasn't fixed on our voyage, but is hopefully fixed by now. We used our telephones as alarm clocks.

"Without adequate drawer space, is there enough closet space for two females? "

The answer to the above question is: never! Ha Ha. We are just off of Star and while the rooms are a little short on drawer space, there actually is quite a bit of closet space. Our steward brought in extra hangars and I would estimate the closet was at least 6 feet across. It actually spanned the wall parallel to the beds and was about the same length as the beds. Also, there is a storage shelf above the closer and two drawers in the bathroom which we didn't discover until the last days of the cruise. And as roothy123 pointed out, there is lots of room under the beds to store stuff you don't need to regularly access in your suitcases.

Here's a tidbit FYI: there is a hairdryer in the bathroom but the outlet does not fit it, so you have to go into the room and connect by the table to use it. Not an issue for me, but annoying for Barbara.

The reason I asked how wide the closet is...is because I bought a hanging vertical shoe bag with 9 pockets. It's narrow and, hopefully, will velcro to the closet pole. This to store things that don't hang on hangers and would normally go in drawers. The shoe bag sections have netting in the back so things don't fall through. It was $5 at Ikea and is lightweight. Not planning to bring it home. I'm short, so using the space above hanging clothes might be an issue for me. This is either a great idea or a dumb one -- I'll let you know.

Diane

Addendum to shipnc's post - the plug in the bathroom is not powerful enough to charge my Sonicare toothbrush either. I had initially plugged it into the bathroom plug but after about 7 days it died. I knew about the hairdryer issue, so plugged my toothbrush into one of the other plugs in the cabin and after several hours it was recharged. So, not only do you have to go into the bedroom to use the hairdryer, you also have to go there to brush your teeth!

There is a really nice make-up mirror and drawer under the top of the desk where you can keep jewelry, make-up, etc. Great place for one female to be primping while the other is showering. I have never felt more organized than I did with that lift up top/drawer in the desk. It was great!

"Without adequate drawer space, is there enough closet space for two females? "

The answer to the above question is: never! Ha Ha. We are just off of Star and while the rooms are a little short on drawer space, there actually is quite a bit of closet space. Our steward brought in extra hangars and I would estimate the closet was at least 6 feet across. It actually spanned the wall parallel to the beds and was about the same length as the beds. Also, there is a storage shelf above the closer and two drawers in the bathroom which we didn't discover until the last days of the cruise. And as roothy123 pointed out, there is lots of room under the beds to store stuff you don't need to regularly access in your suitcases.

Here's a tidbit FYI: there is a hairdryer in the bathroom but the outlet does not fit it, so you have to go into the room and connect by the table to use it. Not an issue for me, but annoying for Barbara.

Dear shipnc,

This is basic electrical safety. You do NOT have high power hand held electrical equipment in bath rooms.

In UK a plug for a hair dryer would fail all building regulations. Be it on land or sea.

Yours

Ingra Tor

Addendum to shipnc's post - the plug in the bathroom is not powerful enough to charge my Sonicare toothbrush either. I had initially plugged it into the bathroom plug but after about 7 days it died. I knew about the hairdryer issue, so plugged my toothbrush into one of the other plugs in the cabin and after several hours it was recharged. So, not only do you have to go into the bedroom to use the hairdryer, you also have to go there to brush your teeth!

Have never been on Star so this is not definitive but had the same problem on Crystal. An electrician on board told me the plug is controlled by the light switch. Left the light on at night as a night light and toothbrush stayed charged!

Interesting...kind of like the European hotels in which your key card controls the lights, I suppose. Are Star's lights controlled by your key card and entry or can they be left on if you need to charge something overnight? Are the plugs on the side of the bed always "on" or controlled?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The room key cards control lights and a/c but outlets by the side of the bed and desk are always on so you can charge your Ipad, phones etc. anytime. As far as the bathroom outlets for hairdriers, thanks to Ingra for explaining why Star is designed that way. But lest anyone think that we in the US are callous and indifferent toward electrocution risks, our bathrooms are equipped with GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupters) which protect against electrical dangers, so we don't have to leave the bathroom to plug in high voltage items such as hairdriers.

About thr room key cards controlling the lights - it doesn't have to be your key card. Any old piece of thin cardboard will work. We used a business card and that worked fine.

We found we kept leaving one key card in the slot when we were leaving the ship to go on an excursion and then one of us had to hoof it back upstairs to retrieve the key card. Our cabin steward showed is that it didn't have to be the key card, and after that we used the business card and kept our room keys in our wallet. Warning: they will NOT let you off the ship unless you BOTH have your key cards to swipe as you leave.

About thr room key cards controlling the lights - it doesn't have to be your key card. Any old piece of thin cardboard will work. We used a business card and that worked fine.

We found we kept leaving one key card in the slot when we were leaving the ship to go on an excursion and then one of us had to hoof it back upstairs to retrieve the key card. Our cabin steward showed is that it didn't have to be the key card, and after that we used the business card and kept our room keys in our wallet. Warning: they will NOT let you off the ship unless you BOTH have your key cards to swipe as you leave.

We brought an old hotel room key to use for lights. It worked great. (saw the idea on CC). Hair dryer with "curly" cord worked well at desk with vanity. Phone charger (US type) plugs on both sides of bed. We used those as alarms (phone was NOT on cell service but we did use the wifi). Closet space varies by room category. PV had PLENTY for two of us, but my husband and I only brought 1 "26") suitcase apiece. You CAN request extra hangers.

Closet space varies by room category. PV had PLENTY for two of us, but my husband and I only brought 1 "26") suitcase apiece. You CAN request extra hangers.[/quote

I'm sure most people will have a carryon in addition to a suitcase, but if not, make sure you have something to put your sleeping togs and toothpaste in on the morning you disembark the ship. Your luggage gets whisked away the night before.....

I'm sure most people will have a carryon in addition to a suitcase, but if not, make sure you have something to put your sleeping togs and toothpaste in on the morning you disembark the ship. Your luggage gets whisked away the night before.....

I have only sailed twice before (both with Cunard) and if you could carry/pull your own luggage then you were allowed to disembark yourselves rather than having your luggage taken the previous night. Does anybody know if this process applies to VS. Also, does anybody know what time you need to be off the ship by on the last day?

I have only sailed twice before (both with Cunard) and if you could carry/pull your own luggage then you were allowed to disembark yourselves rather than having your luggage taken the previous night. Does anybody know if this process applies to VS. Also, does anybody know what time you need to be off the ship by on the last day?

We travel with carry-ons only and took them off the ship ourselves, no problem. We needed to vacate the stateroom by 8am but I believe breakfast was open until 9am.

Edited by OneBag

• 4 weeks later...

Do not book cabin over the Star Theater. We were blasted out of our beds and after 3 days they finally moved us! The management was very unresponsive and I had to keep finding the cruise director and cruise accommodations manager to get moved. An apology and flowers were nice but the inconvenience of having to repack and unpack and the stress of the noise from the star theater for three days, made for an unpleasant way to start out on a $10,000 cruise!!!! We were very disappointed in Viking for the improper and untimely manner in which they handled this.

Dear Lennylover,

Welcome home! We responded to your post on another thread but, at the risk of repeating ourselves, wanted to respond to your comments here as well.

We truly regret that your cruise started off on the wrong foot with a noisy cabin and are sorry you were disappointed in the response time of the Viking Star crew. Although we are happy this was ultimately corrected onboard and you were moved to a quiet cabin, we are interested in discussing your experience further.

If you have not already, we would encourage you to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we may discuss the details of your concerns.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Do not book cabin over the Star Theater. We were blasted out of our beds and after 3 days they finally moved us! The management was very unresponsive and I had to keep finding the cruise director and cruise accommodations manager to get moved. An apology and flowers were nice but the inconvenience of having to repack and unpack and the stress of the noise from the star theater for three days, made for an unpleasant way to start out on a $10,000 cruise!!!! We were very disappointed in Viking for the improper and untimely manner in which they handled this.

Our room is scheduled to be over the theatre. I hope they can do something to reduce the noise while building the Sky. I thought the use of the theatre was limited and did not go late into the evening?

Our room is scheduled to be over the theatre. I hope they can do something to reduce the noise while building the Sky. I thought the use of the theatre was limited and did not go late into the evening?

What room are you in? We're in 3024 and someone else we met is farther forward on 3. We and they haven't heard anything from the theater (or anywhere else, for that matter). Of course, I suppose a few people may hear things. Star Theater on 2 is normally used maybe every other night from 9:15 through around 10. Also occasionally there is music in the evening in the atrium (decks, 1,2,3), by the pool/Wintergarden, or something else. I haven't heard of any complaints regarding the noise.

What room are you in? We're in 3024 and someone else we met is farther forward on 3. We and they haven't heard anything from the theater (or anywhere else, for that matter). Of course, I suppose a few people may hear things. Star Theater on 2 is normally used maybe every other night from 9:15 through around 10. Also occasionally there is music in the evening in the atrium (decks, 1,2,3), by the pool/Wintergarden, or something else. I haven't heard of any complaints regarding the noise.

We were in 3005 and heard afternoon rehearsals, which while we were trying to recover from jet lag, woke us from naps, and then we heard the evening performances. Three administrstive staff members came up and acknowledged that the noise was loud. We were finally moved to a quiet room after three days time. I would advise staying away from cabins directly over the Star Theater.