Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:46 PM.
Blackpool
324 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
It would appear that the "trial" being run on Britannia is now being rolled out to the rest of the fleet.

Jusr received the following notification regarding our upcoming cruise on Azura:-

Important Notification
*Improved Embarkation Process*
We are constantly working to improve your embarkation experience in Southampton. To ensure that you embark your ship as soon as possible, that you adhere to the arrival time on your ticket, which is specific to you and your party. By doing so, you will enjoy the best embarkation experience possible, spending less time in the cruise terminal and more time on board.
If you are travelling on a coach using our partner operator, you may find your arrival time is different to the embarkation time on your ticket. In that case, your coach arrival time will dictate the time you embark.
There are no changes to the existing Peninsular Club benefits in the cruise terminal.
37 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
It's good in principal but nobody takes any notice and turn up when they like. We arrived at ocean terminal at 13:00 which was are time to board brittania just to find the terminal full of passengers.
2,870 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by Cj hanlon
It's good in principal but nobody takes any notice and turn up when they like. We arrived at ocean terminal at 13:00 which was are time to board brittania just to find the terminal full of passengers.
Except that people who have turned up early on Britannia have been posting they are being kept in the terminal.
Maybe with in a short while passengers will start to realise that if they stick to times given it will be better for them.
Blackpool
324 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
We are on the Azura Transatlantic in October so most people will be arriving by coach from various airports so will be allowed to board on arrival anyway. Can't see why they have bothered to send the email in that case 😕
United Kingdom
531 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I've just received the same for my cruise in October on Aurora, but won't be "obeying" as sticking to my time would result in my having to wander round Southampton for over 2 hours with all my luggage after checking out of my hotel. This is NOT going to happen P and O!
The only way I would stick to my boarding time is if I can choose it. People who have to travel down from the North the night before have to check out at 11am. They need an early boarding time.
Kent, England
6,518 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Improved boarding experience? Not if you have to leave your hotel at 12 noon and have a 3.30 boarding time
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 4
P&O Azura x 1
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 10
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
Marella Discovery x 3
NCL Epic

To come
Marella Explorer Sept 2018
Marella Dream Jan 2019
Marella Explorer April 2019
Marella Explorer July 2019
Marella Explorer 2 Oct 2019
Surrey, UK
1,616 Posts
Joined May 2006
Do caribbean grade still get priority boarding ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
37 Cruises - 20 Ships - 408 Nights at Sea
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (5): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette(2) Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
Scotland
2,644 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by bee-ess
Do caribbean grade still get priority boarding ?

Yes you do still get priority boarding see below this was also included in our e-mail from P&O.

Benefits at our homeport

Dedicated check-in

Your dedicated desk makes for a swift and effortless beginning to each cruise.

Priority embarkation

Arrive at the terminal at your designated boarding time to enjoy priority boarding.

Private embarkation lounge on board

Enjoy complimentary selected drinks and a scrumptious warm and cold buffet in a calm oasis until your cabin is ready.

We are constantly working to improve your embarkation experience in
Southampton. To ensure that you embark your ship as soon as possible, we askthat you adhere to the arrival time on your ticket, which is specific to you
and your party. By doing so, you will enjoy the best embarkation experience
possible, spending less time in the cruise terminal and more time on board.
If you are travelling on a coach using our partner operator, you may find your
arrival time is different to the embarkation time on your ticket. In that case,
your coach arrival time will dictate the time you embark.
There are no changes to the existing Peninsular Club benefits in the cruise
terminal. For a full list of on board benefits please refer to
http://www.pocruises.com/the-peninsu...s-and-benefits
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAPPY CRUSING

Previous Cruises

1994-95-96 Cunard Countess Caribbean
1997 Thomson Emerald Caribbean
1998 Thomson Med
1999 Royal Caribbean Caribbean
2000 Princess Grand Princess Caribbean

2001 Costa Victoria Caribean
2002 F000 Adonia West Med
2003 R312 Aurora Med 2003 E000Caribbean
2004 E404 Oceana Caribbean
2005 F503 Adonia Panama Canal
2006 E604 Oceana Canary Islands
2006J611Arcadia Central Med 2006 J622 Arcadia Canary 2007 E704 Oceana Caribbean
2007 X707 Oriana Med 2007 E726 Oceana Canary Ils 2008 A000Costa Costa Victoria UAE 2008 2008 X801 Oriana Australia 2008 J818 Arcadia West Med 2008 N128 Ventura Carib 2009 A000 Costa UAE 2010 A000Sun Pincess Australia 2009 A000CunardQueen Victoria Central Med 2009 J908 Arcadia Canaries 2009 A000 Sea Princess Car. 2010 R004 Aurora Central Med 2011 E107 Oceana Canaries 2011 R107 Aurora West Med 2011 N128 Ventura Car 2012 A205A Azura Caribbean 2012 N227A Ventura Caribbean 2013 [color=black][size=1]
[color="Black"]N327 Ventura Transatlantic 2013
N328 Ventura Caribbean 2013
N405 Ventura Caribbean
Azura A428Oct 2014 A428 Transatlantic
Azura A429 Nov2014 A428A Caribbean
Britannia B524A 2015 Transatlantic Caribbean
Britannia B525 2015 Caribbean
Azura A605A 2016 Caribbean

Adonia D715P August 2017 Med

FUTURE CRUISE

Azura A734A December 2017 Caribbean

TUI Discovery 2 April 2018 TA/Caribbean
Oriana X801P 30th Jan 2018 Madeira/Canaries

There are big ships and small ships but the best ships are friendships

We are all travellers in the wilderness of this world,and the bestwe can find in our travels is an honest friend
2,870 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by davecttr
Improved boarding experience? Not if you have to leave your hotel at 12 noon and have a 3.30 boarding time
Most hotels allow you to leave cases somewhere safe , while you wander around. You may have to leave your room by 12 mid day, but you could sit in a hotel lounge until nearer the time.
If you fly and lets say you are taking off at 6pm, do you get there at midday or at 3pm..
There are now large ships , and P and O are trying to make it easier for all, not just the people staying in hotels in Southampton the night before.
Surrey, UK
1,616 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by HELEN HENRY
Yes you do still get priority boarding see below this was also included in our e-mail from P&O.

Benefits at our homeport

Dedicated check-in

Your dedicated desk makes for a swift and effortless beginning to each cruise.

Priority embarkation

Arrive at the terminal at your designated boarding time to enjoy priority boarding.

Private embarkation lounge on board

Enjoy complimentary selected drinks and a scrumptious warm and cold buffet in a calm oasis until your cabin is ready.

We are constantly working to improve your embarkation experience in
Southampton. To ensure that you embark your ship as soon as possible, we askthat you adhere to the arrival time on your ticket, which is specific to you
and your party. By doing so, you will enjoy the best embarkation experience
possible, spending less time in the cruise terminal and more time on board.
If you are travelling on a coach using our partner operator, you may find your
arrival time is different to the embarkation time on your ticket. In that case,
your coach arrival time will dictate the time you embark.
There are no changes to the existing Peninsular Club benefits in the cruise
terminal. For a full list of on board benefits please refer to
http://www.pocruises.com/the-peninsu...s-and-benefits
Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
37 Cruises - 20 Ships - 408 Nights at Sea
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (5): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette(2) Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
Whitley Bay, North East England
7,092 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by bee-ess
Thanks

The key expression is "at your allocated time". If you have 15.30 you will be the first of that group o get on board. It does not mean you can board early. Only Ligurian have that perk.

Anybody who turns up early will still have to wit in the terminal until their ticket letter is called.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720
Azura A728 Azura A729
Ventura N801

To Come

Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 20

Gan Canny

Dai
2,870 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by Clodia
I've just received the same for my cruise in October on Aurora, but won't be "obeying" as sticking to my time would result in my having to wander round Southampton for over 2 hours with all my luggage after checking out of my hotel. This is NOT going to happen P and O!
The only way I would stick to my boarding time is if I can choose it. People who have to travel down from the North the night before have to check out at 11am. They need an early boarding time.
So you have the choice.
Leave your cases with the hotel and wander.
or
Stay in the hotel lounge until nearer your boarding time then leave ,board ,and have access to your cabin straightaway.
or
Leave your hotel ,get to the terminal hours before your boarding time, and sit there for a couple of hours until your allocated time.
I think I would go for 1 or 2 , rather than 3.
addlestone
47 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
We had a boarding time of 1.00 when we sailed on azura on 31st Aug, we arrived at the terminal at approx 1.05 we went straight up the escalator were shown to the check in desks, had one couple in front of us, we were on board and in our cabin by 1.45 simple
Cambridge
238 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by the english lady
Leave your hotel ,get to the terminal hours before your boarding time, and sit there for a couple of hours until your allocated time.
I think I would go for 1 or 2 , rather than 3.
In roughly ten cruises, we have twice encountered delayed embarkation, once due to deep cleaning and once caused by baggage conveyor problems. Having got to the terminal early, we got a seat while we waited; others were not so fortunate.

So now we always roll up early - many of us can't stand for hours.
Milton Keynes, England
1,931 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by daiB
The key expression is "at your allocated time". If you have 15.30 you will be the first of that group o get on board. It does not mean you can board early. Only Ligurian have that perk.

Anybody who turns up early will still have to wit in the terminal until their ticket letter is called.

Not quite true Dai. We turned up to board Britannia about 11:30 (we were in a hotel, so checked out around 11). Boarding started about midday and as a Caribbean member was called immediately after the suites. We were on board around 12:15 and having lunch in the embarkation lounge (actually the main restaurant) five minutes later. Our original tickets said 15:00 and then that was changed to 14:00.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mick - 469 nights at sea and 37 to come.

Transylvania - Black Sea - 7 Nights - 1972

Independence Of The Seas - Mediterranean - 14 Nights - Sept 2011
Jewel Of The Seas - Baltic - 12 Nights - June 2012
Celebrity Millennium - Alaska - 7 Nights - Sept 2012
Aurora - World Circumnavigation - 106 Nights - Jan 2013
Adventure Of The Seas - Iceland and Norway - 12 nights - Sept 2013
Norwegian Epic - Eastern Caribbean - 7 nights - Jan 2014
Serenade Of The Seas - Venice - 12 nights - June 2014
Oasis of the Seas - Transatlantic - 12 nights - October 2014
Aurora - South America and Pacific - 105 nights - January 2015
Britannia - Norway - 7 nights - July 2015
Anthem of the Seas - Canaries - 13 nights - September 2015
Ovation of the Seas - Barcelona - 7 nights - May 2016
Celebrity Summit - Canada & New England - 14 nights - September 2016
Ventura - Canaries Christmas - 12 Nights - December 2016
Celebrity Constellation - Vietnam & Philippines - 14 Nights - February 2017
Independence of the Seas - Transatlantic - 15 nights - October 2017
Aurora - South American Grand Tour - 65 nights - January 2018
Symphony of the Seas - Mediterranean - 8 nights - May 2018
Oriana - British Isles - 12 nights - June 2018
2,870 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by AnnieC
In roughly ten cruises, we have twice encountered delayed embarkation, once due to deep cleaning and once caused by baggage conveyor problems. Having got to the terminal early, we got a seat while we waited; others were not so fortunate.

So now we always roll up early - many of us can't stand for hours.
But they are changing the process from what has been posted, so past boarding experiences do not really count.
So why will you still turn up early? If people stick to the times they are given, you should not have to wait very long at all and when you board will be able to go straight to your cabin.
If you do turn up early from what has been posted, unless there are no q'sat all you will be waiting
York, UK
4,792 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Im not a fan of this change. We normally drive down on the day, a journey of approx 5 hours, and aim to get there at around noon normally to allow for delays en route. We would have to kill time somewhere before our allocated time with our wheelchair bound Mum in tow. In reality anyone driving down or using public transport on the day would be mad to plan to arrive at their allocated time slot as any delay could mean a missed departure so most would be forced to arrive earlier and wait in a packed departure hall.

The big benefit of a Southampton departure is the ease of boarding and knowing you can be on board for lunch. They have managed just fine boarding Azura/Ventura for the last few years so why change it now? I suppose they will save food consumption in the buffet!

We have check in slots on Anthem of the Seas next week but you choose your own slot when doing the online check in. Not allocated a random slot by the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Apr 09 Independence Of The Seas, Mediterranean
May 09 P&O Azura, Mediterranean
Dec 10 P&O Ventura, Caribbean
Apr 11 P&O Ventura, Mediterranean
Dec 11 P&O Ventura, Caribbean
May 12 P&O Azura, Baltic
Apr 13 Adventure of the Seas, Transatlantic
Jul 13 Celebrity Eclipse, Iceland and Norway
May 14 Celebrity Eclipse, Mediterranean
Oct 14 Celebrity Eclipse, Canary Islands
Mar 15 P&O Britannia, Canary Islands
Jun 15 Celebrity Eclipse, Iceland and Norway
Sep 15 Anthem of the Seas, Canary Islands
May 16 Celebrity Eclipse, Baltic
Sep 16 Celebrity Eclipse, Canary Islands
Feb 17 Oasis of the Seas, Western Caribbean
Mar 17 Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean
Jun 17 Celebrity Eclipse, Ireland and Northern Europe
Sep 17 Independence of the Seas, Mediterranean
May 18 Symphony of the Seas,Mediterranean B2B
Sep 18 Celebrity Eclipse, Mediterranean

Blackpool
324 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I seem to remember P&O posting on their website, sometime in the last 12 months, about some new benefits they were going to introduce and I am sure selecting your boarding time was one of them. Surely that would be the best way to go as Kevin suggests, and do on a first come first serve basis.
Cambridge
238 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by the english lady
But they are changing the process from what has been posted, so past boarding experiences do not really count.
So why will you still turn up early? If people stick to the times they are given, you should not have to wait very long at all and when you board will be able to go straight to your cabin.
If you do turn up early from what has been posted, unless there are no q'sat all you will be waiting
I don't think you've read what I posted...
Kent, England
6,518 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by kevinyork
Im not a fan of this change. We normally drive down on the day, a journey of approx 5 hours, and aim to get there at around noon normally to allow for delays en route. We would have to kill time somewhere before our allocated time with our wheelchair bound Mum in tow. In reality anyone driving down or using public transport on the day would be mad to plan to arrive at their allocated time slot as any delay could mean a missed departure so most would be forced to arrive earlier and wait in a packed departure hall.

The big benefit of a Southampton departure is the ease of boarding and knowing you can be on board for lunch. They have managed just fine boarding Azura/Ventura for the last few years so why change it now? I suppose they will save food consumption in the buffet!

We have check in slots on Anthem of the Seas next week but you choose your own slot when doing the online check in. Not allocated a random slot by the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's precisely the problem. I use public transport and having spent thousands on a cruise I would not risk the tender attentions of our railway system on departure day.

Now we need to know exactly how they allocate the boarding times
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 4
P&O Azura x 1
P&O Ventura x 6