Chef's Table Update?

Dauntless

I think the original plan was to have 5 menus that would change every 9 days but for whatever the reason that has changed. I think I read in one posting that they were changing every 3 days(that would make sense to get through all 5 menus}. But I believe in another post it was stated as changing every 5 days. When you sailed(please include the date) what was offered? Where the menu options available when you boarded the ship?

I think the original plan was to have 5 menus that would change every 9 days but for whatever the reason that has changed. I think I read in one posting that they were changing every 3 days(that would make sense to get through all 5 menus}. But I believe in another post it was stated as changing every 5 days. When you sailed(please include the date) what was offered? Where the menu options available when you boarded the ship?

We just got off our Viking cruise yesterday. We had booked two dinners at the Chef's Table and when we found out they were going to be the same menu we switched one of them so we would have two different menus. One was an Asian menu and the other was more of an Indian menu. Both were good and we enjoyed them. They came with wine pairings and were five courses.

On our cruise, the menu changed every 5 days, so there were 3 menus during the cruise. We stopped by the first night to see what the menu was for our one pre-booked night and were able to see all 3 menus and book another evening as well. There are only two seatings. I think they were 6 pm and 8:30 or something fairly late. Check your excursion plans when booking. You might not want to do the late dinner the night before a 6:30 am excursion call!

We just back Oct. 8th. I think I might have posted first that the menus changed every 5 days, and then posted later that it was every 3 days. I think it was 5, but when my husband wakes up from a nap, I'll ask him. His memory is better than mine, especially when it comes to food!! OR, if Carol from CA is reading this, perhaps she can clarify whether it's 3 or 5 days, as we were on her cruise, and sounds like we did what she did!!

We were able to go on the date we scheduled on MVJourney (6 PM), plus managed to snag one 8:30 reservation a day or two later because my husband really wanted to try the Asian menu (lobster, Peking duck, etc.) SO - we had the spices menu (first course not to our liking, but main entree was great, and other 3 courses good) and the Asian menu. Loved the Asian; liked the spices very much (La Route des Indes). I'll post the menus in a couple days. Still bogged down in my pictures (see "Tips" thread if you haven't already.) Waiter said the Asian was one of their most popular; forget which other one he mentioned - but NOT the spices.

When booking specialty restaurants, I consider when we'll be in port and when we might get back and whether we'll be tired, when we'll be leaving port before dinner time, etc. I often like to watch sailaway and don't want to miss it because I'm inside for dinner. If you're going to Kotor, I would want to be free for an hour after departure time - really pretty sailaway. There are a lot of windows at Chef's Table, of course, but it's not the same....Also, while the consideration of thinking twice about booking an 8:30 dinner before an early day is a good one, IF you dine alone, and IF you don't drink, you won't be at the Chef's Table quite as long as you might think. We were in and out in a reasonable amount of time - not rushed, but not prolonged, either.

I'm going to try to post these 2 menus to Cruise Critic, but they may come out very tiny, as I haven't learned how to size the photos to post to the site. However, if they're too hard to read, I will post them (in maybe 10 minutes) to my photo site here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

On the photo site, go to the "Viking Star - Ship" gallery, and go to the end of the gallery.

I didn't scan the fronts and backs of the menus, but there's some info to be read on the back of each menu which is informative and fun to read. The wait staff will give you a copy of the menu when you sit down, and tell you to feel free to take it home.

All I can say about Chef's Table is that we liked 90% of what was served (and I'm not a very adventuresome eater), so don't be afraid to dine there on any night. Loved it.

2139840341_ChefTablemenu-Asian.jpg.154c5c080c575a1d162d741fadb9d31f.jpg

1517194252_cheftablemenu-routedesindes.jpg.d9d11f095b4ba3f56c8672b0c6a38b5d.jpg

I'm going to try to post these 2 menus to Cruise Critic, but they may come out very tiny, as I haven't learned how to size the photos to post to the site. However, if they're too hard to read, I will post them (in maybe 10 minutes) to my photo site here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

On the photo site, go to the "Viking Star - Ship" gallery, and go to the end of the gallery.

I didn't scan the fronts and backs of the menus, but there's some info to be read on the back of each menu which is informative and fun to read. The wait staff will give you a copy of the menu when you sit down, and tell you to feel free to take it home.

All I can say about Chef's Table is that we liked 90% of what was served (and I'm not a very adventuresome eater), so don't be afraid to dine there on any night. Loved it.

Thanks Roothy! We have reservations for 3 different nights and are really looking forward to it. I am a gourmet cook and this is a real treat for me.

James

• 1 month later...

We are just back from our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise and were fortunate enough to dine 4 times at The Chef's table and get to try all 4 current menus. We loved them all! The format and portions are perfect. The amuse bouche and granita courses provide a nice way to start the meal and to pause after the first course. The menus themselves are very creative. As a gourmet cook myself this was the ultimate vacation experience. Every mouthful was a delight. The service was also impeccable.

Hi everyone,

Just off Viking Star and lucky enough to have the physical menus in hand -- There are currently five onboard and they rotate every three nights. The themes are: Sweet & Salty; La Route Des Indies; a Gastronomic Journey Through Time (I ate this one, if anyone has questions!); Venice Carnival; and Asian Panorama.

Bon Appetit!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic