Port of Houston (Barbours Cut) - Pre-cruise stay

pmckibben

Due to the hurricane damage, our NCL Sun cruise this October has moved from New Orleans to Houston. It sails from the Port of Houston at Barbours Cut -- NOT Galveston. Anyone have ideas/recommendations for a pre-cruise stay in the Houston area for my wife and me (she's 26, I'm 35), who enjoy a bit of nightlife, and would prefer not to rent a car?

Here are some more specific questions:

- If we decide to stay downtown (probably near the Theater district), what is the best way to get to the port on the day of our cruise? (We do not plan to drive ourselves.)

- We heard about a service called Texas Cruise Ship Shuttle. Anyone know about them? Any good?

- We've heard about the boardwalk in Kemah, and the Boardwalk Inn, but the web site reminds me of Bayside in Miami or Navy Pier in Chicago--i.e. touristy. Have I got the wrong impression? What do you all think of Kemah?

- At the end of our cruise, what's the best way to get to the airport (probably Hobby)?

We'd love any other advice outside these questions as well. We need insider info!

Thanks,

Paul

Atlanta, GA

we are looking for something to do after our cruise on the sun docks.

we have a 5:30 flight out of hobby, so i was looking for some kind of tour that would take us along with our bags and drop us off at Hobby.

any info would help

Ditto to all those questions and - are we better off staying close to Hobby Airport to take advantage of the free airport shuttle or staying close to the pier? If so, how much should we expect to pay (and how long will it take) to get from the airport area to the pier?

Thanks.

Ditto to all those questions and - are we better off staying close to Hobby Airport to take advantage of the free airport shuttle or staying close to the pier? If so, how much should we expect to pay (and how long will it take) to get from the airport area to the pier?

Thanks.

I was speaking to an employee at Enterprise in Seabrook (by the port) and he said it was going to cost roughly $75 for a taxi from the Port of Houston to the Airport. Hobby is about 30-45 minutes from the airport depending on traffic.

For taxi fares, check this site:

http://www.yellowcabhouston.com/fare_info.html

Using their fare calculator, I got an estimate of $45 from Hobby airport (NOT Bush) to the port. I don't know how accurate this is--I suspect it's a minimum charge based on ideal traffic, but plenty of room before it reaches $75.

Question: This Enterprise place in Seabrook: are they open on Sunday if I wanted to rent a car at Hobby and return it at Seabrook?

Anyone know (OK so I'm being lazy, its probably on the NCL site) how much the cruise line is charging for ground transportation from the airport to the pier?

I had heard that it is $40/pp (saw it on another thread), but I have not seen anything definitive on NCL's site. $40 sounds pretty steep, so that figure may be wrong.

Archived