Viking Star - My Full Review and Digital Postcards

Solent Richard

23462875859_b23f6d622c_z.jpg

On December 8 my wife and I joined Viking's new ocean cruise ship, Viking Star, for a one week cruise between Barcelona and Rome...

23204016873_4da2f76a0e_z.jpg

For this cruise we had chosen a Deluxe Veranda Stateroom on Deck 4…

23204017943_a75e394716_z.jpg

Our Viking arranged flights were with British Airways scheduled service and were direct from Heathrow to Barcelona. Viking's organisation at Barcelona was outstanding - they had representatives at the luggage carousel before the luggage - and the transfer to the port and subsequent check-in was faultless.

The greatest joy on arrival, for us at least, is to have your stateroom ready. Another plus for Viking: hand luggage dropped off and straight to lunch on the Aquavit Terrace, the ‘al fresco‘ extension of the World Cafe...

23830827065_e22135f117_z.jpg

We have visited Barcelona on a number of occasions, the last being in March earlier this year. Our afternoon was therefore dedicated to exploring the ship and unpacking our luggage which had arrived in the stateroom while we were having lunch.

In a nutshell we were pretty well impressed with Torstein Hagen’s definition of ‘understated elegance’ and the efficient utilization of space. Indeed, it is the acres of 'space' that jump out at the guest thatching of makes this ship rather unique.

The Atrium encompasses three decks and has a wide staircase between Decks 1 and 2…

23535128180_5e08a03c39_z.jpg

Viking prefer to call the lower area of the Atrium the 'Living Room', and I can see why...

23830826695_8b280f7780_z.jpg

What other cruise lines refer to as 'Reception' is also renamed on Viking Star: hows about the 'Explorers Desk'...a rather novel open plan style innovation.

I'm limited to only 6 images per post so I will continue with the 'Digital Postcards' over the next few days. However, any readers who may wish to jump to the full review on my cruise blog can do so by following this link...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/12/28/viking-star-a-taste-of-something-different/

...where there are over 80 photographs covering Viking Star's 'Romantic Mediterranean' cruise.

Solent Richard,

Thank you for your truly beautiful review of the Viking Star Mediterranean Cruise.

We much appreciate the quality and detail of your descriptions and photos.

Again, thank you for sharing your obviously delightful experience.

We too, found Viking Ocean Cruising ... great!

Diane & Jerry

Solent Richard,

Thank you for your truly beautiful review of the Viking Star Mediterranean Cruise.

We much appreciate the quality and detail of your descriptions and photos.

Again, thank you for sharing your obviously delightful experience.

We too, found Viking Ocean Cruising ... great!

Diane & Jerry

And thank you for your kind comments.

thank you so much for your review and great pictures of the Viking Star.

I am in love with the understated elegance of the ship. The clean lines, views of the water and various common space makes this my next choice in a cruise vacation. Looking at booking a cruise for late 2016 or 2017.

Thank you again for taking time to share your cruise vacation.

• 2 weeks later...
Continuing on the theme of space, a few photographs to illustrate just how much there has been generated...

More around 'The Living Room'..

23804715956_65d3bddd84_z.jpg

23204019453_f035c6f8ea_z.jpg

And the Explorers Lounge...

23569249210_2844112155_z.jpg

23782466491_fe2711c044_z.jpg

I loved the 'warm fire effect' there too...

23838868136_fa4b5bb381_z.jpg

Solvent......any pictures of the gym??????? Number of treadmills and ellipticals????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Solent Richard,

Thank you for an excellent review.

In your opinion, how does the Viking Star compare to, my benchmark ship, Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2?

Hmnnn. That's a very high benchmark...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/10/03/europa-2-raising-the-bar/

So a difficult question as I believe they each have a different ethos and philosophy.

If forced though I would say that Viking Ocean comes in just a little behind Hapag-Lloyd.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is, I have booked a return cruise with Europa 2.

Edited by Solent Richard

Hmnnn. That's a very high benchmark...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/10/03/europa-2-raising-the-bar/

So a difficult question as I believe they each have a different ethos and philosophy.

If forced though I would say that Viking Ocean comes in just a little behind Hapag-Lloyd.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is, I have booked a return cruise with Europa 2.

Thank you for replying.

My enquiry was prompted by the fact that for a solo cruiser, such as myself, Viking's prices can be equal to, or exceed, Hapag-Lloyd's.

Viking will be present at the London Cruise Show, so I hope to obtain further information from them this weekend.

As for the Europa 2, I am looking forward to July and cruising the Norwegian Fjords.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for replying.

My enquiry was prompted by the fact that for a solo cruiser, such as myself, Viking's prices can be equal to, or exceed, Hapag-Lloyd's.

Viking will be present at the London Cruise Show, so I hope to obtain further information from them this weekend.

As for the Europa 2, I am looking forward to July and cruising the Norwegian Fjords.

Well done. We also have a new booking on Europa 2 in 2017 but for something a little more exotic.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent review.

Good morning Colo Cruiser.

At the risk of going 'off topic' I would like to say I'm fascinated by your Signature 'Sealift' badge.

As a retired Royal Naval officer I had many occasions meeting you guys but the most impressive had to be after retirement when I was cruising through the Suez Canal on Aurora in March 2003.

We were heading north on the last leg of her World Cruise while the US Sealift Command ships were heading south transferring your military from Turkish soil to the Gulf.

Really impressive...

26200575181_5ce68c46c7_z.jpg

25993969820_933edd6cb2_z.jpg

God bless America.

Now back to topic...

Edited by Solent Richard