Second day in Quebec - trip to Montmorency Falls

mimijes

We will be on Summit, two days in Quebec, leaving at 4 pm on the second day. I'd like to go to Montmorency Falls the morning of the second day, but worry about timing.

1. Should we take a public bus (8 mile trip) early that morning?

2. Should we take the ship's excursion to the Falls, and Sainte-Anne-De-Beaupré Sightseeing And Copper Embossing Experience ($75 per person), but I know we will be back in time for departure.

3. Should we take Viator half day tour ($45 per person), returning at 2:30. Is that cutting it too close?

Has anyone been on that Celebrity tour?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

We will be on Summit, two days in Quebec, leaving at 4 pm on the second day. I'd like to go to Montmorency Falls the morning of the second day, but worry about timing.

2. Should we take the ship's excursion to the Falls, and Sainte-Anne-De-Beaupré Sightseeing And Copper Embossing Experience ($75 per person), but I know we will be back in time for departure.

3. Should we take Viator half day tour ($45 per person), returning at 2:30. Is that cutting it too close?

I went on the 800 bus. The journey takes about 45 minutes, as although it's not far there are many stops. So if you go early you will have lots of time, as you won't need more than an hour there (tops). From memory the bus fare was about $3 each way in 2015. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]esWN6B3SCz0[/YOUTUBE]

Don't have the answers to your questions , but ar also on Summit in Oct. and Cathy and might like to join you on trip to falls, sounds fun and I like small groups for excursions. Reply on our roll call if interested.

We will be on the September 18th sailing.

Too bad!

Interesting - are you on The Celebrity Summit? We are and I'm awaiting an answer from Viator with regards to their tour on September 27th, our second day in Quebec City.

We have tours all set for the 26th but really haden't planned anything for the 27th. The Viator Tour is going exactly where we'd like to go but, the 10 AM tour is sold out. There is room on the 10:30 AM tour which would not return until 3 PM and we sail at 4PM. As long as they can have us at the ship at 3PM, I'm okay but still waiting to hear.

The Celebrity Tour is a back up but expensive and I really have no great interest in copper enbossing as opposed to more time at the falls.

The are posts saying we could take bus #800 to the falls but since it is only 8 miles away, the bus makes LOTS of spots if it takes an hour to get there plus we have to figure out where to catch the bus.

I'll let you know the Viator response which will probably be received by Monday, 8/22.

David

I am from Montreal

Falls is a great idea - I went to viator and I think they are a good option.

or - you could rent a car.

Thanks to all who have responded.

PROCRUISE, yes, we are on the Summit. I see you are on Tom's spreadsheet.

I have looked at Viator; it sounds great, and about half the price of the Celebrity tour. However, I am nervous about getting back from the 10:30 tour on time for the ship departure: Leaving at 4:00 means we need to be back on the ship by 3:30.

I am thinking about taking the bus early in the morning. In addition to being MUCH cheaper ($3 per person:), that will give us more time to explore the Falls. From what I have read, the tours do not give you much time at the Falls.

Would you be interested in sharing a taxi to the Falls? I don't know how much it would cost, but I will look into it if you are interested.

My email is joyslad@gmail.com

We went to the Falls using the #800 bus just this past June. There's a little bit of walking to get to the bus but once you do the ride isn't that long. If you're nervous about missing the ship at 4 p.m. - go early in the morning. We were there on a Sunday morning without any traffic to speak of and round trip, including time spent at the Falls, was well under three hours.

From the cruise terminal: Get a map from the local tourist information people who are stationed as you exit the ship, or better yet have them outline your route on the map. The walk is at least half a mile, maybe a little longer. Your first destination is the train station (I know - sounds odd) and in the train station walk through to find the "convenience store" where you buy your round trip tickets for the bus (crazy - I know). The U.S. dollar to the CND dollar rate was very good then, and the bus fare came to about $2.50 one way. The cashier in the convenience store didn't really speak English but he asked another customer to tell us where to find the bus. Basically you go out the train station (beautifully renovated BTW) and look to your right for a bus stop. Very easy. The Falls are the last stop. There is a fence but there is an opening and a path. The return bus to Quebec City starts right where you are left off. Very easy.

The only drawback is that you will find yourself at the TOP of the Falls. To get the perspective from the bottom, you need to take the cable car DOWN. You can easily do this by walking on the path to the right, against everyone coming from the cable car. We didn't do this because I am not a fan of cable cars, so I don't know how much it costs.

At the top though, there are viewing platforms as well as a bridge over the Fallls. There's also a snack bar and port-a-johns on the other side of the bridge.

Well worth the time to visit and the $10 in transportation costs for the two of us.

Thanks to all who have responded.

PROCRUISE, yes, we are on the Summit. I see you are on Tom's spreadsheet.

I have looked at Viator; it sounds great, and about half the price of the Celebrity tour. However, I am nervous about getting back from the 10:30 tour on time for the ship departure: Leaving at 4:00 means we need to be back on the ship by 3:30.

I am thinking about taking the bus early in the morning. In addition to being MUCH cheaper ($3 per person:), that will give us more time to explore the Falls. From what I have read, the tours do not give you much time at the Falls.

Would you be interested in sharing a taxi to the Falls? I don't know how much it would cost, but I will look into it if you are interested.

My email is joyslad@gmail.com

Hey, great to "meet" a fellow traveler on The Summit!

I received a really stupid reply from Viator stating that they cannot alter the itinerary and they recommend taking... the very same tour I was inquiry about! We have taken private tours all over the world with no problems. However, there are at least two reviews of this Viator tour in question, stating that they were as late as TWO HOURS in returning to the ship.

Will E-mail you as we would be happy to share a taxi and/or take the city bus.

David