Buying wine near Quebec port

Babr

Is there a place to buy wine near the port in Quebec? We will be using a transfer provided by the cruise line, so we are not likely to have any other opportunity to purchase wine before embarkation.

Is there a place to buy wine near the port in Quebec? We will be using a transfer provided by the cruise line, so we are not likely to have any other opportunity to purchase wine before embarkation.

Hi there

While I wouldn't be totally certain, doing an internet search the nearest liquor (S.A.Q.) to the port are in walking distance, but not what I would call close. Especially since it is an uphill walk away from the port. If you had time (at least an hour) and were walking around the old city anyway, then you could walk by one of them and pick up what you need. ***a taxi would work but it would add an extra cost***

Just wondering...you don't say if you are flying in. If you are flying from out of the country, you would be much better off buying your wine at your departure airport and carrying it on your plane. Don't forget the price for alcohol including wine in Canada is quite high. Even with the low CDN $ we are much better off paying the extra exchange rate and purchasing alcohol in the U.S. for instance. So unless you specifically wanted Canadian wines, which aren't available commonly outside of the country, I would make my purchase before arriving in Canada. (or take a taxi from the port)

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, we are flying in, but I don't want to take up luggage space / weight with wine. Nor do I want to risk having the bottles break or leak.

I was under the impression that one could buy wine at a grocery store in Quebec. I was hoping for something quick and convenient since the wine has to be purchased prior to embarkation. I do not think I am allowed to check in then go out and return with wine.

A couple of bottles of wine for the cabin would be nice, but it sounds like it might not be worth the effort on this trip.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, we are flying in, but I don't want to take up luggage space / weight with wine. Nor do I want to risk having the bottles break or leak.

I was under the impression that one could buy wine at a grocery store in Quebec. I was hoping for something quick and convenient since the wine has to be purchased prior to embarkation. I do not think I am allowed to check in then go out and return with wine.

A couple of bottles of wine for the cabin would be nice, but it sounds like it might not be worth the effort on this trip.

Hi Babr

I wasn't suggesting having the wine as luggage.

On international flights, you are allowed to purchase wine (or anything) duty free in the departure airport (after security) and are allowed to just carry it on the plane. It would not be in your luggage.

have a good day

There's an SAQ store (government-run liquor store) about 3/4 of a mile from the terminal - a fairly easy (and level) walk, or you can hop on the No.1 city bus. Map here: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Le+Terminal+-+Port+of+Qu%C3%A9bec,+84+Rue+Dalhousie,+Ville+de+Qu%C3%A9bec,+QC+G1K+4C4/SAQ/@46.8165268,-71.2125971,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cb8966218a3e10b:0x62fa4b27e447d885!2m2!1d-71.2005045!2d46.8169225!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x75887d8433482a5!2m2!1d-71.215935!2d46.816698!3e2

You can buy wine in just about any grocery or convenience store in Quebec - the problem is that there aren't any close to the port. There's a small gas station convenience store opposite the entrance to the port, but not sure if it's big enough to carry wine. There used to be a convenience store just down the road a block from there, but looking at the map it appears to be closed.

When are you sailing? I don't have time this week, but probably next week I'll be at the port so I can try and check both out for you.

Nic6318 - Somehow I did not think of that even after you suggested it. Something to consider.

Twickenham - Thank you for your generous offer to check things out. We will not be leaving until October so there is plenty of time. If it is convenient for you, I'd like to know what you find.

One thing you should know about buying wine at a grocery or convenience store (dėpanneur) is that most of the wine, while not exactly plonk, is of a lower quality than you can find at an SAQ outlet. Much is imported in bulk and bottled by or for the SAQ.

It's too bad that the SAQ no longer has a store within the walls of the old city, but the last one was closed some years ago because the SAQ declared it to be unprofitable.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes most grocery store are allowed to sell a very limited choice of wine authorized by the SAQ ( Government owned ). Like an other posted said, it is cheap and not that good...it is really there in case of an "emergency" need for wine. Most sales in the groceries are made out of the business hours of the SAQ... Get the VIVINO app and the SAQ app for your phone, scan the wine label and if a review exist and sounds good to you, then go for it.

Have fun !

Edited by sebas030

I have an add on question...how about a place to buy a case of water and ginger ale?

Hi,

From Pier 21 and Pier 22 it's very easy and a short walk from the ship.

Check the pic below and look for the "Petro-Canada" that I underlined for you. It's a gas station with a pretty large convenience store, they sell everything you can expect from 7-eleven in the USA.

They are the closest thing to the piers...in the streets just besides it you will find hundreds of art gallery, restaurants, souvenir shops, clothing stores, etc... but very very few convenience stores...so this would be the best bet !

<a href=QUEBEC_zps0moblnrt.jpg' alt='QUEBEC_zps0

Have fun !

Sabas030, thank you so much! How about 1 more question...we will be staying at the Chateau Frontenac for a few days before our cruise...anything near there that we could get either a case or loose bottles of water for our time site seeing in Quebec before boarding the cruise?

Sabas030, thank you so much! How about 1 more question...we will be staying at the Chateau Frontenac for a few days before our cruise...anything near there that we could get either a case or loose bottles of water for our time site seeing in Quebec before boarding the cruise?

You want to make things hard for me...right ? ;)

There are no 7-eleven type stores in Old Quebec ( same goes for Old Montreal ) per se...

Plenty of tourist shops with souvenir have a fridge and water bottles...expect to pay about 2$ for a 20 oz bottle. In a supermarket you will pay about 4$ for a case of 24 or even 28 bottles.

In the pic below you will see the red arrow indicating your SUPERB hotel. The black arrow in the middle of the pic is a "supermarket"...but not really...I mean you will find WINE, a little food, water for sure but probably not in cases...it's a "refined products" kind of supermarket ( small place really ).

The really true supermarket is indicated by the black arrow on the left of the pic. You will find cases and everything you could expect. It is about 3/4 of a mile for about a 15 minutes walk.

Right on the grounds of the Chateau Frontenac you have an AMAZING view of the lower part of Old Quebec, it's the "Quartier Petit Champlain" ( little Champlain borough ), you can either walk down the steep stairs or take the funicular for a few $ up and down. The little street you arrive on is so beautiful, look at pictures on the web...it's spectacular.

<a href=epicerie_zpsqdthjdjd.jpg' alt='epicerie_

Enjoy your stay, if you have any questions...feel free !

Thanks that is fantastic...but do you happen to know the names of those 2 shopping places or their addresses? I would like to put them on my google maps of all the places we want to see when in Quebec.

Thanks again for all your help.:)

Hi,

The real supermarket is :" L'intermarche " 850 Rue Saint-Jean, City of Quebec, QC G1R 1R3

The other one with the wine is : "Epicerie Richard" 42 Rue des Jardins, City of Quebec, QC G1R 4L7

An other one I didn't mark on the pic is : "Epicerie de la rue Couillard" 27 Rue Couillard, City of Quebec, QC G1R . This one is also little, very close to your hotel and specializes in beers from the province of Quebec, handcrafted and micro-brewed in the province. We are known all over the world to produce the best beers in Quebec. If you are a beer amateur that would be the place to go to buy some.

One the other hand if you want to taste some locally brewed beer in a pub with great food, big screen tv's and great ambiance, this is the place : "Les 3 brasseurs" ( the 3 brewers ) 650, Grande-Allee East, City of Quebec, QC G1R 2K5. website : https://www.les3brasseurs.ca/ ( english website available ) Look at the menu and the beers on the website...we have a few here in Montreal and I go often...they even have a very good "poutine" ( National dish ;) ) they have happy hour, regular drinks, etc... You don't have to eat if you don't want to...just go for a drink or beer in the afternoon or for lunch.

Talk to you later,

Edited by sebas030

Great thank you soooo much! We will try the smaller ones first maybe just to get loose bottles for our days in Quebec and then try L'intermarche for our case of water and ginger ale, if not there then we will try the Petro Canada as our last ditch effort the day we board the ship.

We plan on spending the 1st day in the upper city and the day we board the ship doing the lower city.

For breakfast one day we are doing Bistro 1640 (I think is the name) right across from the Chateau and then for dinner Le Chic Shack for dinner and a poutine, then breakfast the 2nd morning will be at Paillards with friends. Figured we would get snacks along the way at places we may find or at Erico's with our hot chocolate and chocolates. Are those good choices...we don't want/need fine dining as we will get that on the ship but looking for good local with a bit of American comfort food since we will be walking the city most of the day and want nice filling...any thoughts are much appreciated.

Oh and NYM gelato...DH loves gelato no matter the weather!

Great thank you soooo much! We will try the smaller ones first maybe just to get loose bottles for our days in Quebec and then try L'intermarche for our case of water and ginger ale, if not there then we will try the Petro Canada as our last ditch effort the day we board the ship.

We plan on spending the 1st day in the upper city and the day we board the ship doing the lower city.

For breakfast one day we are doing Bistro 1640 (I think is the name) right across from the Chateau and then for dinner Le Chic Shack for dinner and a poutine, then breakfast the 2nd morning will be at Paillards with friends. Figured we would get snacks along the way at places we may find or at Erico's with our hot chocolate and chocolates. Are those good choices...we don't want/need fine dining as we will get that on the ship but looking for good local with a bit of American comfort food since we will be walking the city most of the day and want nice filling...any thoughts are much appreciated.

Oh and NYM gelato...DH loves gelato no matter the weather!

Hi,

The 1640 restaurant has great reviews for the past year, menu looks authentic, looks like a good choice !

Le Chic Shack is a gourmet burger and milkshake place...not upscale but comfort food it is. I wonder if they copied the original "Shake Shack" from NYC ?...and I have to say I am a FAN of the Shake Shack !!! Great reviews all over and you can't beat the location of the Chic Shack.

Paillard is a french bakery ( have you seen the interior of it on Google maps ? ) you will have great breakfast sandwiches and french pastries. Did you know they have 30 flavors of homemade gelato there ? Seasonal flavors and the classics are available.

One block from Erico there is also a gelato place, it's Tutto Gelato.

In Old Quebec there are plenty of chocolate places and gelato places...if you walk a little you will surely find some and just go with your feeling...

Have fun !

Great thank you so much again. I will add Tutto Gelato to our list of food places.

Friends of ours who traveled here before had been to Paillards and I saw there pics. We will most likely stop by there some time on our first day as well to check out all they have so help us know what we want to order the next day...oh well and maybe partake in some of the yumminess. I mean we will be walking a lot..burning those calories...LOL.

We are excited and cant wait, next year is just too far away. :eek:

I noticed that nobody mentioned the farmer's market near Pier 30, about a three or four-block walk north of the cruise terminal. It is an interesting place with homemade jams, local cheeses, etc., and one or two Québec wineries and cideries sell their products there.

Take Dalhousie (street that runs by the docks) north to Quai Saint-André to reach the Marché du Vieux-Port. It's a fun place to visit; come back on rue Saint-Paul, a picturesque street with antique shops and interesting boutiques, running parallel to Quai Saint-André.