Pepper Grinders Gone.

Aboard the Explorer of the Seas.It seams that all the Pepper Grinders have been taken off the Dinning Room Tables.

Since we joined Seattle, no Pepper Grinders.

Its driving others crazy as RCCL regular Pepper Shakers are useless.

Excuses have been given,Norovirus.There is non here atm.Everything else is on the tables.

Some have said it came out of RCCL Miami via accountants? Stupidity????

It appears that the hard working crew are near running and that they MAY have taken crew numbers off this ship?

They are still bought out in Chops + Giovanni.

Other pax are taking back off Pepper Shakers and poring pepper on side plate.

WHERE ARE THE PEPPER GRINDERS ON Explorer of the Seas ?

Edited by campingman

Pepper grinders? Seriously people are upset over this? Guess it's not that big of a deal to me

Pepper is the only condiment I use, hate salt! The pepper shakers are useless, nothing comes out of them. If someone aboulutely has to have pepper, I don't, then bring some packets with you. While this isn't a problem for you it might be for other people...

Next thing you know they'll be putting bananas near the ketchup and mayo... :D

Oh no you didn't! Yeah, you did just say that. CLASSIC. :D

EDITED TO ADD: Hmm, hang on... I seem to recall the waiter or assistant waiter offering pepper from a grinder. I am not sure they were ever on the tables? OP, please don't fret. I'm sure you can get freshly-ground pepper from your wait team.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Pepper is the only condiment I use, hate salt! The pepper shakers are useless, nothing comes out of them. If someone aboulutely has to have pepper, I don't, then bring some packets with you. While this isn't a problem for you it might be for other people...

Very interesting.I agree its the only condiment i use and dislike white pepper.

I wonder if RCCL their Police Grinders they will stop us to take aboard our own grinders at the Gangway xray entry?

Search, dust us down and sneeze us into the naughty room?

To buy black pepper whole is not cheap at the supermarket.

Edited by campingman

This is why people don't like posting on this board! Why do you even bother to respond? Just to aggravate people and show how petty and hurtful you can be? This may not be a big deal to you but it is to the OP! :confused:

I can understand the OP's issue here. For me a Caesar salad needs LOTS of fresh ground pepper. The stuff that has been sitting on the table for months as lost all of its flavor.

I have never seen pepper grinders on the table, but on every cruise that I have been on, the waiter will leave the grinder on my table every day for me so that I do not waste his time putting lots of pepper on my food.

For some people, pepper is not important, but for me, without it my salad does not taste as good.

This is why people don't like posting on this board! Why do you even bother to respond? Just to aggravate people and show how petty and hurtful you can be? This may not be a big deal to you but it is to the OP! :confused:

Thank You.

Nobody has come back with the real reason why?

Many of the pax have said that very fast RCCL was once a 4 star Cruise Line and heading fast for 3 stars.

The hard hard work of the crew is unbelievable and work so hard and yet frustrated often from head office of ridiculous situations of taking away PEPPER GRINDERS from the tables in the dinning room.

If you eat at MacDonald etc and many many of the Food chains of others there is no Pepper Grinders.

We THOUGHT RCCL was above a great restaurant upon sea in many areas?

Why did they take the PEPPER GRINDERS AWAY?

It's true, the grinders are being replaced with pepper spray, which is on back order because it's such a large shipment

Oh! Well then, okay. I guess a spray is alright. But I do love to hear the pepper actually grinding.

Edited by SteadyBetty

Funny enough, I noticed too that the waiter never asked if I wanted fresh pepper on my caesar salad or fresh parmesan. On Princess that is standard that they ask if you want pepper ground on anything. Also noticed how cheap the salt/pepper, sugar, butter containers were. Made from tin? Princess has china for these things. Food was awful in the main ding room on RCI.

Following our 9/23 PNW cruise I filed a complaint with RCL Customer Service about the removal of grinders in MDR. There was more to my complaint than just the missing grinder, trust me. What transpired after I asked to speak to a head waiter bordered on the sublimely ridiculous.

Yes, for some, having fresh ground pepper may not be all that important. I prefer it, as I'm sure others do.

Based upon discussions, I learned that it may have been a cost cutting thing. Asst Waiters were assigned more tables and, to allow for that, it seems that Restaurants dropped the pepper grinder service.

However, the CSR who contacted me in response to my complaint apologized and said that it would have been better customer service if the waiter had gotten a grinder and met my request. Or the head waiter. Or the Ex Chef who also visited my table. Anything, I guess, to stop a letter being written to headquarters. Anything, I guess, other than doing the easiest thing: getting a pepper grinder and fulfilling a guest's request.

Now, it may be that the pepper grinder service has been stopped on EX. (Has it been stopped across the fleet?) That may be the decision that was made to cut costs or for whatever other reason. No more visits by the Asst Waiter with a pepper grinder. But would it be all that burdensome to have a grinder at a waitstaff station just in case a guest requests one?

For me, I think it comes down to expectations about dining in the MDR. Just how "fine" is the dining meant to be? Flowers are gone. No more parmesan grinder. Now, no more pepper grinder. What will be next? Table cloths?

Frankly, over the years, dining in MDR has become less and less compelling. On this 7 day cruise we ate at Chops one evening and WJ two evenings. On the night in question, our food had gone completely cold by the time we finished hearing all about the decision to pull the grinders from the MDR. We got up and left.

What will be next? Could it be that RCL is shaping a different dining model? One that builds on the specialty restaurants and an expanded buffet--and the MDR shrinks?

Edited by ILCTCRUISER