Carnival Layoffs, making 200 US IT Employees train their replacements in India

fttravel

This is news that is just now starting to pick up steam,

Carnival is forcing 200 US based IT Employees to sign a contract that will terminate their employment and will convert them to temporary workers of a company called Capgemini so they can train their replacements in India.

Carnival has stated that they are guaranteeing 6 months of employment but the contact they are being forced to sign makes no reassurance that they will have a job for long since they will be "at will" employees.

Carnival is forcing 200 US based IT Employees to sign a contract that will terminate their employment and will convert them to temporary workers of a company called Capgemini so they can train their replacements in India.

Carnival has stated that they are guaranteeing 6 months of employment but the contact they are being forced to sign makes no reassurance that they will have a job for long since they will be "at will" employees.

Link: https://www.rt.com/usa/370263-carnival-cruise-foreign-workers/

I have been cruising with Carnival for 20+ years, for a company to do this is so immoral.

I know that a lot of companies have done this, we can't stop the trend, but the worst thing we can do is ignore it.

Edited by fttravel
Mispelling

Florida like many other states is already an "at will" employment state, no contract necessary.

You are absolutely right, was just making the statement because Carnival is making the public statement that they will have a job for the next 6 months, but the contract that they are signing says otherwise.

Carnival is trying to sugar top the big layoffs.

We are already invested in 2 future cruises and we also own stock. This does not sound good. I am hoping for some positive feedback. Don't want to cancel the cruises and sell the stock, but I don't know if we have any moral alternative. Carnival, what say ye?

You are absolutely right, was just making the statement because Carnival is making the public statement that they will have a job for the next 6 months, but the contract that they are signing says otherwise.

Carnival is trying to sugar top the big layoffs.

Hopefully they can be publicly shamed into second thoughts...

We are already invested in 2 future cruises and we also own stock. This does not sound good. I am hoping for some positive feedback. Don't want to cancel the cruises and sell the stock, but I don't know if we have any moral alternative. Carnival, what say ye?

This year I did one Carnival, and one Princess (Owned by Carnival), and I am also own CCL Stocks, the moral dilemma is definitely there.

The worst thing we can do when companies do this is ignore the problem.

Somebody started a thread about this yesterday, and it appears the moderators have vaporized it. I'm guessing this thread might not last long either.

You have to feel bad for the Carnival workers, especially right here before Christmas.

Maybe The Donald will offer Carnival a deal like he did to Carrier to keep the jobs in the U.S.

I have been cruising with Carnival for 20+ years, for a company to do this is so immoral.

LOL...Well then, there are many, many American companies that are immoral because this happens all the time. I bet you know many people that have been through the same thing, look at the big banks and what they did after the bail outs, customer service all went to India. Have you tried to call the customer support at microsoft? Its business my friend but you can stop cruising, that is your choice with Carnival.

Welcome to business and money first and it is about to get much worse with the free trade, no regs, all about the money and me first administration about to take over. Carnival is a business and they need to make money just like all other businesses. Be careful what you ask for...

I've searched and can't find a more reliable source.

Anyone else find something from a reputable source?

Found it on the local CBS news website for the Miami area.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/12/12/carnival-cruise-line-plan-threatens-miami-jobs/

Found that it was being shared on Breitbard but again I wouldn't exactly call Breitbard "Reputable".

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/12/13/exclusive-claim-carnival-forces-u-s-workers-to-train-foreign-replacements-before-christmas/

Edited by fttravel
Added additional links.

This really upsets me. I cannot cancel my March cruise, but this has me seriously considering cancelling my November cruise. At some point we have to stand up and say we are not doing business with companies that do this.

Most of the fortune 500 companies have been doing this for years, including the one I work for. So it's nothing new in the business world, especially when the stakeholders want to continue to see profitable returns.

I will no longer support Carnival cruise line and will be writing a letter to their corporate headquarters. There are a lot of things that I could say about the outsourcing company referenced in the article AND the IT support coming out of India but I will not. Let's just say that Carnival is making a HUGE mistake and will soon learn a costly lesson as a result. Many U.S. companies that have gone done the 'off-shore to India' model have scaled back tremendously or pulled contracts altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums