Are we able to disembark med. cruise a day early?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:12 PM.
1,278 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
We are doing a cruise next year from Barcelona to Barcelona. The port before our return to Barcelona is Marseilles. We would like to disembark there instead of returning to Barcelona and fly home from Marseilles. I know that I couldn't do this when the cruise starts and ends from a US port (Jones act?). When I asked the cruise rep.,she said your not supposed to do this but none would stop us from getting off with our luggage.
Has anyone done this on a Med . cruise? Did you inform the cruise line before getting off? I've seen this on MSC and Costa on Med cruises in the past .We will be on Carnival for this cruise. I am afraid to book our flight home from Marseilles and then not be allowed to disembark!
TIA for any information!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Connecticut
12,334 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
You have a year to figure it out. Why not ask the cruise line rather than on here?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Coming up: Royal Caribbean, January 2018
New Mexico
14,737 Posts
Joined May 2004
You (or your travel agent) will need to make a request to Carnival to do this. It's a deviation from the normal itinerary, and arrangements will have to be made at the port to process you off the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Been There Done That:Emerald Princess Oct 2017 Hawaii-Tahiti-Samoa, Crown Princess Jan 2017 Cape Horn, Regal Princess Sep 2016, Diamond Princess Feb-Mar 2016, Royal Princess Oct. 2015, Africa Sept. 2015, Caribbean Princess Dec. 2014, Ruby Princess Dec. 2014, Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984
Denmark
1,856 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Know it's possible in Europe, however you must get permission from the cruise line - I have disembarked in Charlotte Amalie the last night at a San Juan Cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog mogenshallas.com - email: [email protected]
RCCL Diamond Plus and Celebrity Captain's Club Elite member

Past cruises: 24 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 20 ships and 100 Ports - three future cruises: two Serenade of the Seas Caribbean cruises in November 2017 and February 2018 and a Uniworld French River Wine Cruise April 2018.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017.
Romsey England
11,552 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Don't put too much faith in the word of a cruise line rep., "no" is always the easy answer but not always the right one.

Certainly its done elsewhere in Europe.
And Marseilles is an international port so there'll be immigration & customs staff.

But as others have said, you will need permission from Carnival - and best to get that in writing ie by e-mail & print it off.

If they don't give you permission I guess the evening before Marseilles you could get drunk, walk up to the captain, grab him by his wedding vegetables, and say "who's a big boy, then".
You will then find that not only will they allow you off at Marseilles, they will insist. And they'll help by throwing your luggage out of your cabin and onto the quayside.
Do let us know how it works out if you do that.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
1,278 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by navybankerteacher
You have a year to figure it out. Why not ask the cruise line rather than on here?
please reread my post. I did. Do you have experience that you could share? That's why I love cruise critic!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Coastal GA USA
21,689 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
It should not be a problem. Your ports are all Schengen ports, there would not need to be customs/immigration. Just permission from the cruise line. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Fascination 10/8/17; Carnival Elation 12/11/17;Carnival Splendor 1/14/18
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Warwickshire UK
2,597 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
We did this cruise on the Carnival Vista last year and although we don't know the reasons we saw a family get off in Sicily...they were smiling and laughing during debark so it wasn't anything bad I guess.

On this same cruise a few passengers purposely missed the ship in Rome and trained it to the next port down the coast and rejoined the ship. Apparently quite common you are covering most of western Italy.

You will love it as we did...Carnival aren't too bad at Med routes but hopefully they will sort the Spanish tax/beverage drinks and drink package issues out for next year.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norway 10 day on the Norwegian Jade August 2017
Mediterranean 12 day on Carnival Vista August 2016
Atlantic Coast 7 day on the Royal Caribbean Independence of the seas May 2016
Mediterranean 13 day on the Celebrity Equinox August 2015
Panama Canal and Caribbean 13 day on the Carnival Legend August 2014
Baltic 12 day on the Carnival Legend August 2013
Connecticut
12,334 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by kadey
please reread my post. I did. Do you have experience that you could share? That's why I love cruise critic!
I have reread your post.

I have experience to share - but it involves debarking in a US port, before the final one, after a trans-Atlantic; so I do not believe it relevant in your case.

I have other experience to share: a lot of Cruise Critic posters like to give assurances about matters of which they know very little - and they frequently dispense incorrect information.

I repeat my earlier suggestion: check with your cruise line.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Coming up: Royal Caribbean, January 2018
New Cumberland,PA, USA
28,007 Posts
Joined May 2000
The answer to the OP's question is "very likely yes, you will be able to disembark in Marseille." Each cruise line has their own procedure for early disembarkation. Some require that you make a formal written request (on a special form) that you can get from the cruise line. We even know of one line that charges a small fee for early disembarkations (which we think is ridiculous). Other lines don't seem to care as long as its allowed by the authorities. The last time we did an early disembarkation was on a Princess cruise when we got off 1 day early in Le Havre (the ship was going on to Southampton. We made a formal request from Princess and received a positive acknowledgment. While on the cruise (we were on the ship about 4 weeks) we stopped by Guest Relations to double check the arrangements...and they did not have a clue. They told us that the home office seldom forwards the info to the ships. So we had to fill out a small form (on the ship). They actually sent us luggage tags and collected our luggage from outside our cabin door the night before we arrived at Le Havre. When we finally left the ship around 10am our luggage was sitting with a small group of luggage in the terminal. Since you are cruising within the EU you should have no issue getting approval.

Hank
1,278 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by John Bull
Don't put too much faith in the word of a cruise line rep., "no" is always the easy answer but not always the right one.

Certainly its done elsewhere in Europe.
And Marseilles is an international port so there'll be immigration & customs staff.

But as others have said, you will need permission from Carnival - and best to get that in writing ie by e-mail & print it off.

If they don't give you permission I guess the evening before Marseilles you could get drunk, walk up to the captain, grab him by his wedding vegetables, and say "who's a big boy, then".
You will then find that not only will they allow you off at Marseilles, they will insist. And they'll help by throwing your luggage out of your cabin and onto the quayside.
Do let us know how it works out if you do that.

JB
Thanks for the laugh! I'll keep it up my sleeve as an option!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Romsey England
11,552 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Hlitner
Still trying to assimilate "wedding vegetables" (see JB's earlier post).

Hank
A gentleman's dangley bits, Hank

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
colorado
42 Posts
Joined May 2009
We are doing a cruise next year from Barcelona to Barcelona. The port before our return to Barcelona is Marseilles. We would like to disembark there instead of returning to Barcelona and fly home from Marseilles. I know that I couldn't do this when the cruise starts and ends from a US port (Jones act?). When I asked the cruise rep.,she said your not supposed to do this but none would stop us from getting off with our luggage.
Has anyone done this on a Med . cruise? Did you inform the cruise line before getting off? I've seen this on MSC and Costa on Med cruises in the past .We will be on Carnival for this cruise. I am afraid to book our flight home from Marseilles and then not be allowed to disembark!
TIA for any information!
YES ! We did this exact thing and took train to Paris- 5 hours- for extended 3 days then flew home from there. Just notify the Cruise line before you Board, then you have to carry off all your luggage, give back your sea cards and show passports at pier, there is a taxi booth or you can book a car service ahead to pick you up. In Marseilles don't miss the View Port- great bay area for shopping, restaurants and a McDonalds- lol
1,278 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
A rep from Carnival is saying we can't do this! However, he said that he would look into this further to make sure then get back to us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Cumberland,PA, USA
28,007 Posts
Joined May 2000
A rep from Carnival is saying we can't do this! However, he said that he would look into this further to make sure then get back to us.
ARGH! It is why you have to love cruise lines. In your place we would not accept a no...because it makes little sense. The only inpediment to getting off in Marseille would be Carnival's own internal policies. We know there is not a major problem doing this with Princess, Holland America and Celebrity. But it is also possible that the person you spoke with at Carnival does not have a clue. One reason to book through decent travel/cruise agencies is that they have experience (and contacts) and know how to deal with these issues. Dealing directly with any cruise line can often be a frustrating experience whenever you want to deviate from the norm and need advice that is not on the rep's "script." These kind of early disembarkations are quite common won European cruises.

Hank