Creative ways to count down the days?

AmandaNS

DH and I are finally under the 2-month mark!!! We're looking for new and different ways to count down the number of days until we leave. We've got the countdown clock on the computer, but were looking for something non-computer, like something to put somewhere in the house or something. Folks have mentioned some neat ideas here and there before, and there's always good ideas here.

Any suggestions?

I went to Michael's and bought a set of Sandy Lion stickers that were caribbean themed and cruise themed. Took a 12 x 12 pice of scrapbooking paper and stuck them at the top. Underneath all that I put 40 little fish that are the foam stickers and #'ed them for how many days we have left... it's hanging on the fridge now!

One Cruise I took a ship cut out and gold paper cut the paper into strips and numbered it, made one of those chains from kindergarten with all the numbers and on the last one dangled an anchor from it. once the anchor made it to the boat it was time to sail!

My kids number the weeks left and when there are 20 days left in bright

colored markers on the calendar. Each week is a big production to mark off the date.

We're 30 days out now!!!

• 3 months later...

I do a search for pictures of the specific ship I am going on, and most times I find a copy of Capers. You can also do a search on Carnival Capers. I then download all 4 pages for each day. I have access to a Laserjet 5si and 8100, which both print Ledger size paper (that is the size of Capers on the ship). I then use MS Word, insert the pictures of each page for each day so that when it is printed out, and folded, it makes a copy of Capers. I print all of these out, and then each night, around dinner time, I go into the bedroom, and put the next day's capers on the pillow for my wife, just like on the ship. Sometimes I get some Andes Mints, and turn down the bed, and put Capers and some mints on the bed. If we have a 1 week cruise, I do it for the week before. It is is a two week cruise, I do it for the two weeks before. I have always been able to find Capers for the ship, and ports of call that we have scheduled.

If you have any questions, feel free to E-Mail me at simplex375@yahoo.com, and I would be happy to help.

It takes some work, but my wife loves it, and it gets us all exicted, as if we weren't to begin with. :)

We are counting down to our cruise too, 80 days now. But more importantly, we are counting down until my husband's last day of class (he's in grad. school). We have a square shaped glass jar with 58 rocks in it, every morning my 3 year old removes a rock and says, not long til daddy has no more homework. It's neat to think back to what the vase use to look like, as compared to now.

We have two methods that don't involve computers - one we write it on the mirror while it's still steamy after taking a shower. For the person who follows, it's a nice reminder.

Also, we live in an apartment sans washer and dryer and use the complex's laundry room once a week. We have a chalkboard on the fridge and count down laundry days. It makes the time go much faster - five laundry days instead of 35 days.

No matter what - it's always too long between cruises!

Happy sails,

Charlie

You wait a lot longer than I do to start a countdown. At 100 days from sailing I start the countdown with fluorescent sticky-notes on our refrigerator and black marker. On our last cruise which we were taking with 4 other couples, I emailed them every 10 days from 100 days out with a reminder of the number of days until we were together once more. We're just over 200 days till our next cruise and I'm anxious to see those sticky notes on the fridge already!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have a cat who loves the Katcheese cat treats. At the 3 week mark, I put 73 of the treats in a separate baggie, and each morning I give Cleo her 3 treats for the day, then mark how many are left on the bag how many are left.:D 48 to go.:D :D

I've also got our "to do" list on the fridge, and each night I mark off what I've done that day. I'll really start to get excited when there are more black lines that written ones.:)

Marg

When I was little and I had something to look forward to my Big Sister used to make me a calendar and put chocolate kisses on each day until the event. So each night after dinner I'd get another treat and another day closer.

More recently I've used post-its, Take a few minutes and start writing from the back of the pad from 0 - 100 and then each day just take a sheet off.

Not the most creative ways but they help pass the time! It always seems like forever until the day gets there and then the time always flies until you get back :(

I like the idea of the paper chain we will be taking our son on his first cruise this fall!:) My PVP sends us cards with the ship on the front I think we will make an chain like posted above with things to do the last 15 days or so it should fire his rockets!!:D

so I set a goal to read at least 4 books before 3/25.

I am presently reading a non-fiction book on a mans solo journey across the Atlantic and then have tons of books to choose from for the other three. I read quickly so it is not much of a challenge, but it beats cleaning closets and other noble goals!

Archived