India - e-visas

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:11 AM.
Plano, Texas, USA
386 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
We are from the U.S. We had 4 ports in India last month. E-Visas were not an option and as some have said applying for an Indian visa can be complex and confusing. Even though the form has a check box for the 120 months multiple entry visa and you check that box, you may not get a 120 month visa. My wife got a 120 month visa. Mine was only good for 12 months. I met a couple of others on our ship that experienced the same thing. When I asked Visa Central about it, they simply said it is up to the person processing our visa to decide when your visa will expire. One thing for sure, it costs the same whether it is good for 10 years or only 1 year.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael
Plano, TX USA
southwestern United States
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by mjobtx
We are from the U.S. We had 4 ports in India last month. E-Visas were not an option and as some have said applying for an Indian visa can be complex and confusing. Even though the form has a check box for the 120 months multiple entry visa and you check that box, you may not get a 120 month visa. My wife got a 120 month visa. Mine was only good for 12 months. I met a couple of others on our ship that experienced the same thing. When I asked Visa Central about it, they simply said it is up to the person processing our visa to decide when your visa will expire. One thing for sure, it costs the same whether it is good for 10 years or only 1 year.
Michael, how far in advance of your cruise did you apply for your visa? How long did it take to process it? Thank you!
Portland, Oregon, USA
1,355 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by ceba
Michael, how far in advance of your cruise did you apply for your visa? How long did it take to process it? Thank you!
Not Michael, but happy to share my experience. I am also in the US. I applied in January (using Indian Embassy required vendor Cox & Kings Global) for our cruise in April. Total processing, including shipping both ways was just under two weeks. We were both granted 120 month visas. The application process is not very intuitive, be sure and follow all the instructions closely! And have all your documents and information ready before you start the on-line process. They didn't like the passport style photos we sent first, so we were delayed a few days while I went and had new ones taken and sent. If it had not been for that, I imagine we would have had out visas back in just about a week.

Joe
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Plano, Texas, USA
386 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I am Michael and my experience was the same. Just under two weeks. We applied about 60 days in advance. Unlike Joe, my visa was good for only one year. My wife's was for the expected ten years.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael
Plano, TX USA
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by JoePDX
Not Michael, but happy to share my experience. I am also in the US. I applied in January (using Indian Embassy required vendor Cox & Kings Global) for our cruise in April. Total processing, including shipping both ways was just under two weeks. We were both granted 120 month visas. The application process is not very intuitive, be sure and follow all the instructions closely! And have all your documents and information ready before you start the on-line process. They didn't like the passport style photos we sent first, so we were delayed a few days while I went and had new ones taken and sent. If it had not been for that, I imagine we would have had out visas back in just about a week.

Joe
Thanks Joe! Ours will be processed in San Fran and I believe yours was also, so this is very good to know.
989 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by mjobtx
I am Michael and my experience was the same. Just under two weeks. We applied about 60 days in advance. Unlike Joe, my visa was good for only one year. My wife's was for the expected ten years.
Thank you Michael! Did you enjoy your India cruise?
P.s. "my visa was good for only one year. My wife's was for the expected ten years" Gosh. I wish I knew you better, because I'm sure there's a pretty good joke in there somewhere
Plano, Texas, USA
386 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by ceba
Thank you Michael! Did you enjoy your India cruise?
P.s. "my visa was good for only one year. My wife's was for the expected ten years" Gosh. I wish I knew you better, because I'm sure there's a pretty good joke in there somewhere
Hard to imagine why that happens. Visa Central just said, it happens. It is the prerogative of the employee processing the visa. Maybe they just figured a 70 something old many might not be around long enough to use a 10 year visa.

We enjoyed India. Four ports - Kochi/Cochin, Mangalore, Goa, and Mumbai. Not surprisingly Mumbai was the highlight. We were in port overnight and had a chance to do quite a bit. It can get hot and humid though. Several people didn't stay hydrated and got sick.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael
Plano, TX USA
Plano, Texas, USA
386 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by Acrusa
Did you Mail your passport photo? Or does it have to be uploaded on a computer. Can I have the company that takes the photo upload it for me?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app
With most services you can mail or upload the photographs. Since we had to FedEx the application and our passports, we chose to include the photographs in the same package.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael
Plano, TX USA
East Sussex
28 Posts
Joined May 2013
Went to VFS Hounslow on Tuesday 8th, handed over our paperwork and Visas arrived this morning via courier. Absolutely amazed. Last time we applied by post and it took two weeks. Both our visas valid for 12 months, so we can get on with planning our next trip to India for February next year.
Deception Bay, Australia
918 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by joandian
See this is what confuses people because I've looked at the paperwork and documents directly on the Indian Government website and it definitely says that an eVisa is valid for 3 designated seaports (i.e. Cochin, Goa, Mangalore). That is copied right off the website.

Our group are from Australia, Canada and the USA and we are all going to apply for the paper visas through the relevant Embassies and Consulates closest to us to make sure we have no issues.

Did you have any biometrics done when you applied for your visa? If not, were they done when you arrived at the port? This seems to be the hold up arriving with the eVisa as they are doing biometrics for everyone. I'm curious if those that didn't visit ether an Embassy or Consulate and get biometrics recorded have the same issues when they arrive at the ports.

Jo
Hi Jo, we are on the same cruise as you. I am still totally confused about whether to get e-visas and full visas. I don't understand why e-visas would need to go through biometrics at the port when it appears the full visas don't need to.

I think I will ring the Indian Embassy in Australia and try and get some clarification.

Diane
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING:
P&O Jewel, Sept 9 - 16, 2018, South Pacific
P&O Aria, Sept 21 - 28, 2018, Qld Coastal

SAILED:

P&O Aria, Jul 20 - Aug 3, 2018, Indonesian Explorer
Carnival Horizon, May 9 - 23, 2018, Barcelona to New York
RCL Mariner April 22 - May 7, 2018, Dubai to Barcelona
RCL Mariner April 9 - 22, 2018, Singapore to Dubai
P&O Explorer, Dec 17 - 27, 2017, Christmas Cruise South Pacific (with family)
RCL Ovation, Nov 23 to Dec 7 2017, Singapore to Sydney (B2B)
RCL Ovation, Nov 14 - Nov 23 2017, Hong Kong to Singapore
Carnival Legend, Oct 10 - 18, 2017, Mare, Noumea & Isle of Pines
Sun Princess, Oct 5 - 8, 2017, Brisbane to Sydney (who wants to fly!)
Sun Princess, Sept 6 - 8, 2017, Airlie Beach
P&O Aria, May 26 - June 9, 2017, Mutiny of the Bounty/Tonga
RCL Voyager, Feb 21 - Mar 5, 2017, South Pacific / Fiji
P&O Pacific Aria, Jan 27 - Feb 3, 2017, Qld Coastal
RCL Explorer, Oct 8 to Nov 2, 2016, Seattle to Sydney
Crown Princess, Sept 25 to Oct 5, 2016, Mexican Riviera
P & O Pacific Aria, June 17 to June 19, 2016, Sydney to Brisbane
Sun Princess, June 9 to June 11, 2016, Brisbane to Sydney
RCL Voyager, April 16 to April 30, 2016, Sydney to Singapore
P & O Pacific Aria, Feb 29 to Mar 4, 2016, Aust East Coast
RCL Legend, May 24 to June 11, 2015, Honolulu to Sydney
RCL Rhapsody, Sept 16 to Oct 3, 2014 Honolulu to Sydney
RCL Rhapsody, May 3 - May 16, 2014 Honolulu to Vancouver (B2B)
RCL Rhapsody, Apr 18 - May 3, 2014 Sydney to Honolulu
Carnival Conquest, 2 - 9 Dec, 2012, Bahamas
RCL Oasis, 25 Feb - 3 Mar 2012, Eastern Caribbean
HAL Noordam, 13 - 24 Feb 2012, Southern Caribbean
RCL Freedom, 5 - 12 Feb 2012, Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam, 24 April - 7 May, 2011, New England/Canada
RCL Radiance, 12 -23 April 2010 Mexican Riviera
Star Super Virgo 18-23 October 2009 Singapore
P&O Pacific Sun 28 Mar-9 April 2009, Pacific Islands
HAL Ryndam 7-14 May, 2008, Alaska
P&O Pacific Sun 12-21 Aug 2005, Pacific Islands
Houston TX and Mackay QLD
2,581 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by lilly4350
Hi Jo, we are on the same cruise as you. I am still totally confused about whether to get e-visas and full visas. I don't understand why e-visas would need to go through biometrics at the port when it appears the full visas don't need to.

I think I will ring the Indian Embassy in Australia and try and get some clarification.

Diane
I'm guessing it's to get proof of identity since everything is done online with the eVisa and they don't see your actual passport.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked
RCI Spectrum - Spice Route - Dubai to Singapore - May 2019

RCI Ovation - Vancouver to Hawaii - September 2019 BTB with
RCI Ovation - Hawaii to Sydney - September 2019
RCI Radiance - Sydney to South Pacific - January 2020
Completed
RCI Mariner - Singapore to Dubai - April 2018
RCI Mariner - Dubai to Barcelona - April 2018

RCI Mariner - Shanghai to Singapore - October 2016
RCI Oasis - Western Caribbean - March 2015
RCI Serenade - New Orleans to Barcelona - April 2014
Celebrity Infinity - Uk and Northern Europe - Harwich to Copenhagen - May 2014
Celebrity Infinity - Miami - Panama Canal - Valparaiso- December 2013
RCI Mariner - Transatlantic - Galveston to Barcelona - April 2013 BTB with
RCI Mariner - Barcelona - Egypt - Jordan - Dubai - May 2013.
RCI Mariner - Transatlantic - Miami - Rome - May 2012 BTB with
RCI Mariner - Greece and Turkey - May 2012.
RCI Brilliance - Mediterranean/Venice - June 2011.
Celebrity Eclipse - Baltic Sea - Russia - June/July 2010.
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - August 2009.
RCI Mariner - Western Caribbean - November 2007
RCI Splendour - Cosumel - April 2007.
RCI Explorer - Western Caribbean - January 2005
England
2,233 Posts
Joined Jul 2008

Diane
There has been much discussion on this subject already, I suggest you read any of the Celebrity Constellation roll calls for December this year's sailings 7/12 or 19/12.

E-visas are not acceptable if your cruise includes Mumbai, you require a proper multi entry Tourist visa of whichever length your country allows, and must follow the application process for your country to the letter.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailing through life, slowly seeing the world, with each day a new adventure before I finally achieve nirvana.........
Deception Bay, Australia
918 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by harz99
There has been much discussion on this subject already, I suggest you read any of the Celebrity Constellation roll calls for December this year's sailings 7/12 or 19/12.

E-visas are not acceptable if your cruise includes Mumbai, you require a proper multi entry Tourist visa of whichever length your country allows, and must follow the application process for your country to the letter.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app
We are going to Cochin and Goa. The e-visa information for Australia says we can use it for those 2 ports

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING:
P&O Jewel, Sept 9 - 16, 2018, South Pacific
P&O Aria, Sept 21 - 28, 2018, Qld Coastal

SAILED:

P&O Aria, Jul 20 - Aug 3, 2018, Indonesian Explorer
Carnival Horizon, May 9 - 23, 2018, Barcelona to New York
RCL Mariner April 22 - May 7, 2018, Dubai to Barcelona
RCL Mariner April 9 - 22, 2018, Singapore to Dubai
P&O Explorer, Dec 17 - 27, 2017, Christmas Cruise South Pacific (with family)
RCL Ovation, Nov 23 to Dec 7 2017, Singapore to Sydney (B2B)
RCL Ovation, Nov 14 - Nov 23 2017, Hong Kong to Singapore
Carnival Legend, Oct 10 - 18, 2017, Mare, Noumea & Isle of Pines
Sun Princess, Oct 5 - 8, 2017, Brisbane to Sydney (who wants to fly!)
Sun Princess, Sept 6 - 8, 2017, Airlie Beach
P&O Aria, May 26 - June 9, 2017, Mutiny of the Bounty/Tonga
RCL Voyager, Feb 21 - Mar 5, 2017, South Pacific / Fiji
P&O Pacific Aria, Jan 27 - Feb 3, 2017, Qld Coastal
RCL Explorer, Oct 8 to Nov 2, 2016, Seattle to Sydney
Crown Princess, Sept 25 to Oct 5, 2016, Mexican Riviera
P & O Pacific Aria, June 17 to June 19, 2016, Sydney to Brisbane
Sun Princess, June 9 to June 11, 2016, Brisbane to Sydney
RCL Voyager, April 16 to April 30, 2016, Sydney to Singapore
P & O Pacific Aria, Feb 29 to Mar 4, 2016, Aust East Coast
RCL Legend, May 24 to June 11, 2015, Honolulu to Sydney
RCL Rhapsody, Sept 16 to Oct 3, 2014 Honolulu to Sydney
RCL Rhapsody, May 3 - May 16, 2014 Honolulu to Vancouver (B2B)
RCL Rhapsody, Apr 18 - May 3, 2014 Sydney to Honolulu
Carnival Conquest, 2 - 9 Dec, 2012, Bahamas
RCL Oasis, 25 Feb - 3 Mar 2012, Eastern Caribbean
HAL Noordam, 13 - 24 Feb 2012, Southern Caribbean
RCL Freedom, 5 - 12 Feb 2012, Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam, 24 April - 7 May, 2011, New England/Canada
RCL Radiance, 12 -23 April 2010 Mexican Riviera
Star Super Virgo 18-23 October 2009 Singapore
P&O Pacific Sun 28 Mar-9 April 2009, Pacific Islands
HAL Ryndam 7-14 May, 2008, Alaska
P&O Pacific Sun 12-21 Aug 2005, Pacific Islands
Denmark
2,292 Posts
Joined Mar 2011

Diane
The biometrics are part of the eVisa, not the regular visa.
I would call the cruise line. We were in India March 2017 on RCCL cruise and eVisa not accepted. The immigration check was done at sea. The Indian immigration officers boarded in Malaysia and performed the check at sea the day before arriving into Cochin. No checks at arrival in Cochin. Not sure if immigration will be able to handle the eVisa onboard the ship. And the Indian embassy in Australia will not know your cruise line immigration procedures.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog mogenshallas.com - email: [email protected]
RCCL Diamond Plus and Celebrity Captain's Club Elite member

Past cruises: 25 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 22 ships and 110 Ports - Two future cruises. Voyager of the Seas from Singapore to Hong Kong and Jewel of the Seas from Rome to Dubai.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017. Serenade Wetern Caribbean November 2017, Uniworld River Cruise April 2018.
QLD--AUSTRALIA
9,917 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I have an Indian friend who owns a tour company in Cochin
Lijo Jose... one of the top tour operators over there( if not the best !!)
we are going to India again next yr.. 7TH April on Celebrity Constellation
. .Lijo asked me to alert anyone going that the E visa does not allow people in who are going by sea.
it is for airports only....regardless of what the visa website says..
India has not perfected the e visa system for PORTS yet..
just last month LIJO had 40 people on the Majestic Princess have to cancel their tour for the day as they only had e visas and Indian customs caused severe dramas

I posted this on my rollcall

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JANN & JOHN
SPREADSHEET LINK FOR NY TO AMSTERDAM CRUISE
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

CRUISES DONE..
STAR GEMINI .... MARCH '97- ASIA
OLYMPIC COUNTESS ...SEPT '98 - GREEK ISLANDS & TURKEY
STAR GEMINI ..SEPT '99 -ASIA
STAR GEMINI ..FEB '00 ..-ASIA
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS ...SEPT '04 - ALASKA
NCL JEWEL ..SEPT '05 CANADA / NEW ENGLAND
RCI VISION OF THE SEAS ..SEPT 06 ALASKA
NCL PEARL ...APRIL 07 STH CARIBBEAN.
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS...MARCH 08 AUSTRALIA to NZ
HAL VOLENDAM...MAY 09 JAPAN, EASTERN RUSSIA, ALASKA
CELEBRITY INFINITY...NOV 09 PANAMA CANAL WESTBOUND
NCL JADE..MAR 2010 SPAIN,ITALY,GREECE,TURKEY,EGYPT, MALTA
NCL JADE..APR 2010,SPAIN,CASABLANCA,AQADIR,CANARY IS, FUNCHAL ,GRANADA
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM..MAY 2011...ALASKA
SUN PRINCESS....NOV 2011 AUSTRALIA to NZ
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM...APR 2013 HK,TAIWAN,KOREA,JAPAN,CHINA
RCCL QUANTUM of the seas..MAY/JUNE 2015 DUBAI OMAN INDIA MALAYSIA SINGAPORE
CELEBRITY SOLSTICE..FEB 2016...NZ TO PERTH, AUS
NCL JADE ..JULY 2017...HAMBURG..NORWAY..ICELAND ..SCOTLAND
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION... 7 APRIL 2018..INDIA & SRI LANKA..TO DUBAI
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION...22 APRIL 2018..ARABIAN SEA & SUEZ CANAL..ROME
25 so far
next holiday..New Zealand for 10 days in oct
NEXT CRUISE
NCL PEARL..28 APR 2019...TRANSATLANTIC NEW YORK TO AMSTERDAM
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
12,437 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by jannandjohn
I have an Indian friend who owns a tour company in Cochin
Lijo Jose... one of the top tour operators over there( if not the best !!)
we are going to India again next yr.. 7TH April on Celebrity Constellation
. .Lijo asked me to alert anyone going that the E visa does not allow people in who are going by sea.
it is for airports only....regardless of what the visa website says..
India has not perfected the e visa system for PORTS yet..
just last month LIJO had 40 people on the Majestic Princess have to cancel their tour for the day as they only had e visas and Indian customs caused severe dramas

I posted this on my rollcall

We used Lijo Jose on three of our tours and they were awesome.
QLD--AUSTRALIA
9,917 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by 4774Papa
We used Lijo Jose on three of our tours and they were awesome.
as I said... he is the BEST !
and the main thing about him, is that he really cares about people... he has a beautiful way with people.
I just love him , can't wait to see him again. we are doing the private Taj 2 nt Mahal trip with him and Mumbai too
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JANN & JOHN
SPREADSHEET LINK FOR NY TO AMSTERDAM CRUISE
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

CRUISES DONE..
STAR GEMINI .... MARCH '97- ASIA
OLYMPIC COUNTESS ...SEPT '98 - GREEK ISLANDS & TURKEY
STAR GEMINI ..SEPT '99 -ASIA
STAR GEMINI ..FEB '00 ..-ASIA
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS ...SEPT '04 - ALASKA
NCL JEWEL ..SEPT '05 CANADA / NEW ENGLAND
RCI VISION OF THE SEAS ..SEPT 06 ALASKA
NCL PEARL ...APRIL 07 STH CARIBBEAN.
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS...MARCH 08 AUSTRALIA to NZ
HAL VOLENDAM...MAY 09 JAPAN, EASTERN RUSSIA, ALASKA
CELEBRITY INFINITY...NOV 09 PANAMA CANAL WESTBOUND
NCL JADE..MAR 2010 SPAIN,ITALY,GREECE,TURKEY,EGYPT, MALTA
NCL JADE..APR 2010,SPAIN,CASABLANCA,AQADIR,CANARY IS, FUNCHAL ,GRANADA
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM..MAY 2011...ALASKA
SUN PRINCESS....NOV 2011 AUSTRALIA to NZ
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM...APR 2013 HK,TAIWAN,KOREA,JAPAN,CHINA
RCCL QUANTUM of the seas..MAY/JUNE 2015 DUBAI OMAN INDIA MALAYSIA SINGAPORE
CELEBRITY SOLSTICE..FEB 2016...NZ TO PERTH, AUS
NCL JADE ..JULY 2017...HAMBURG..NORWAY..ICELAND ..SCOTLAND
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION... 7 APRIL 2018..INDIA & SRI LANKA..TO DUBAI
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION...22 APRIL 2018..ARABIAN SEA & SUEZ CANAL..ROME
25 so far
next holiday..New Zealand for 10 days in oct
NEXT CRUISE
NCL PEARL..28 APR 2019...TRANSATLANTIC NEW YORK TO AMSTERDAM
1 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Can anyone give us some advice

Our friends and my wife and I are going on Sapphire Princess from Sing to Rome in Mar 18, stopping in India for 1 day

3 of us have Australian passports and one has a Canadian passport, can someone give us good advice on which is the easiest way of obtaining the relevant visa/s