Wild life beginning of March

satie37

i just put a deposit in a 14 day antarctic trip which goes to the Shetland islands and the peninsula and hopefully crosses the circle. It departs Mar 3 and is a photography trip so I am trusting that the company would make sure they do these trips at good times of the season for photography. I expect we will see lots of whales at this time but I was also hoping we would also still see lots of penguins and youngish chicks. I am also hoping for icebergs. Is this getting too late in the season?

We went at the end of February and into March. We saw tons of fantastic icebergs, including witnessing some calving. We saw whales, including from kayaks and from the bow of the ship. We saw lots of penguins but the chicks were growing up.

i just put a deposit in a 14 day antarctic trip which goes to the Shetland islands and the peninsula and hopefully crosses the circle.

:confused: I am a little confused...the Shetland Islands are off the coast of Scotland. That would be closer to the Arctic...whales but no penguins.

Are there other Shetlands?

:confused: I am a little confused...the Shetland Islands are off the coast of Scotland. That would be closer to the Arctic...whales but no penguins.

Are there other Shetlands?

My bad - should have specified SOUTH Shetland Islands. They are just off the top of Antarctica.

We went at the end of February and into March. We saw tons of fantastic icebergs, including witnessing some calving. We saw whales, including from kayaks and from the bow of the ship. We saw lots of penguins but the chicks were growing up.

Thanks for sharing this. I was thinking that as it was towards the end of the season the sightings would be sparse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

We have been at both ends of the season and saw plenty of ice, snow and wildlife. Whatever time you go you will not be disappointed. Just don't fix on seeing anything in particular. These are not called expedition trips for nothing: plans have to be, and are, re-evaluated constantly.

We have been at both ends of the season and saw plenty of ice, snow and wildlife. Whatever time you go you will not be disappointed. Just don't fix on seeing anything in particular. These are not called expedition trips for nothing: plans have to be, and are, re-evaluated constantly.

100 % (y)(y)