What's the average age of guests on Solstice and a few more questions?

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:14 AM.
Palmerston North, New Zealand, Aotearoa
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Hi Guys,

Am thinking of booking our 3rd cruise for our family (40, 36, 15 and 9) on the Celebrity Solstice for 14 days. Was wondering what the average age of guests on Celebrity cruises generally are, and if there are many activities for kids and families to do? And if my kids and ourselves will meet other people our age or not. I've read a few reviews saying x cruises are generally suited for elderly peoples, however it looks like a nice ship to cruise on, and am interested to learn abit more before making a decision and commitment. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
91,582 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As easyboy, posted it is best to ask Cruise line/cruise ship specific questions on the cruise line boards. Often first time CC members don't realize there are boards for each cruise line.

Keith
I come from a land down under
23,823 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by wakab0y
Hi Guys,

Am thinking of booking our 3rd cruise for our family (40, 36, 15 and 9) on the Celebrity Solstice for 14 days. Was wondering what the average age of guests on Celebrity cruises generally are, and if there are many activities for kids and families to do? And if my kids and ourselves will meet other people our age or not. I've read a few reviews saying x cruises are generally suited for elderly peoples, however it looks like a nice ship to cruise on, and am interested to learn abit more before making a decision and commitment. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of kids activities.

I’d say average probably around 40~50
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by Keith1010
Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As easyboy, posted it is best to ask Cruise line/cruise ship specific questions on the cruise line boards. Often first time CC members don't realize there are boards for each cruise line.

Keith
Thanks, and yes am new here. Will do.
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by GUT2407
Lots of kids activities.

I’d say average probably around 40~50
Thanks.
North Carolina Coast!, USA
6,025 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
You will find older people on any cruise more than 7 days. Why? Because most people are working and cannot take more than a week at a time off from work. So on longer cruises there are more retired people who have the time for them.
Go to Roll Call here on the date you're thinking of cruising and ask how many kids, etc. are going on this cruise. You can also ask who are your age.
You could also think of taking a Back 2 Back cruise (B2B), with each cruise 7 days. You can usually find a ship that goes Eastern Caribbean one week and Western the next. That would be 14 days and have more kids. Just because its Celebrity, you will find older passengers and fewer kids. I don't remember seeing any kids on our Celebrity cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CRUISE LINES
Dolphin
Commodore
Regency
Premier
Cape Canaveral Cruises
Carnival
Royal Caribean
NCL
Celebrity
Princess
Costa
Central Illinois
117,570 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
As mentioned, I'd post on the dedicated cruise line forum.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
The Big Easy
19,087 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Well, so far we have 3 people telling you to post elsewhere and only 2 actually helping, so I'll try to even it at 3.

The truth is, on a 14 day Celebrity cruise, the average age on board will be considerably older than you. However, if it's back-to-back 7 night cruises, you'll see a lot more people closer to your age, and with kids.

Either way, your perception of the ship is spot on. Solstice is one of the most beautiful ships I've been on.

They do have a kids club and there are plenty of kids activities. The activities are nowhere near what they would find on RCI, NCL or Carnival though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
Sunward II 11/88, Seaward 8/92, Seaward 4/96, Norwegian Sea 11/01, RCI Monarch 10/02, RCI Enchantment 10/03, RCI Majesty 5/04, RCI Adventure 10/04, RCI Explorer 10/05, RCI Majesty 5/06, RCI Freedom 9/06, RCI Explorer 5/07, RCI Adventure 10/07, RCI Navigator 2/08, RCI Navigator 8/08 (Med.), RCI Majesty 11/08, Celebrity Solstice 4/09, RCI Enchantment 7/09, RCI Radiance 11/09 (Mex. Riv.), Celebrity Solstice 4/10, RCI Majesty 6/10, RCI Majesty 8/10, RCI Oasis 10/10, RCI Radiance 11/10, Celebrity Century 1/11, RCI Allure 4/11, Nor. Sky 6/11, RCI Majesty 9/11, Nor. Sky 9/11, Celebrity Summit 11/11, RCI Liberty 2/12, Nieuw Amsterdam 5/12 (Med.), RCI Majesty 8/12, RCI Oasis 10/12, RCI Majesty 11/12, Nor. Dawn 12/12, RCI Liberty 2/13, RCI Majesty 4/13, Celebrity Millennium 6/13 (Alaska), RCI Enchantment 9/13, RCI Allure 11/13,Celebrity Constellation 1/14, Ruby Princess 2/14, RCI Liberty 4/14, Caribbean Princess 5/14, Zuiderdam (Alaska) 7/14, RCI Vision 8/14, RCI Liberty 11/14, Regal Princess 4/15, Oosterdam 10/15, Celebrity Eclipse 12/15, Nor. Escape 4/16, Carnival Liberty 10/16, Koningsdam 11/17
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by Bonnie J.
You will find older people on any cruise more than 7 days. Why? Because most people are working and cannot take more than a week at a time off from work. So on longer cruises there are more retired people who have the time for them.
Go to Roll Call here on the date you're thinking of cruising and ask how many kids, etc. are going on this cruise. You can also ask who are your age.
You could also think of taking a Back 2 Back cruise (B2B), with each cruise 7 days. You can usually find a ship that goes Eastern Caribbean one week and Western the next. That would be 14 days and have more kids. Just because its Celebrity, you will find older passengers and fewer kids. I don't remember seeing any kids on our Celebrity cruise!
Great advice, thanks for that. I'm just learning how to navigate the site which also makes me feel like i'm light years behind only getting on here now in 2017 thanks again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Pacific Pearl, Pacific Discovery, 13 March 2017
P&O Pacific Jewel, Pacific Discovery (Again), 03 July 2018 (Booked and Ready to go)
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by Aquahound
Well, so far we have 3 people telling you to post elsewhere and only 2 actually helping, so I'll try to even it at 3.

The truth is, on a 14 day Celebrity cruise, the average age on board will be considerably older than you. However, if it's back-to-back 7 night cruises, you'll see a lot more people closer to your age, and with kids.

Either way, your perception of the ship is spot on. Solstice is one of the most beautiful ships I've been on.

They do have a kids club and there are plenty of kids activities. The activities are nowhere near what they would find on RCI, NCL or Carnival though.
Thanks for evening up the odds , and for sharing some truth. The carnival cruisers do look good, but it's along way for us kiwi's to travel first before boarding those liners. Thanks again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Pacific Jewel, Pacific Discovery (Again), 03 July 2018 (Booked and Ready to go)
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by Bonnie J.
Thanks for the advice. It's not looking good based on the feedback and comments i've reviewed and read so far. Thanks again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by Host Clarea
As mentioned, I'd post on the dedicated cruise line forum.
Yip, thanks for that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Central Illinois
117,570 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by wakab0y
Yip, thanks for that.
You're welcome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
512 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Pretty much same...longer the cruise older the demographic on ANY cruise line. Celebrity is usually our first choice think more country club than Beach club. Our older grands 13-20)actually now prefer Celebrity and Viking. Kids programs are great and smaller groups. Agree you might want to look at B2B a great option. Enjoy whatever you choose and safe journeys
VA
78 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
The other factor that comes to mind is the time of year. We've only ever been on one cruise so far and it was Celebrity over the winter holiday period and there were lots of kids. My kids were 14 and 8 at the time and while our 14 year old just hung out by the pool and read, our 8 yr old son occasionally participated in the kids club where there were plenty of kids to hang out with when he was in the mood. They both enjoyed the cruise and said they would go on a Celebrity cruise again. That said, my husband and I are going on our second cruise in several months, also on Celebrity, but it will be when school is in session. We don't expect there to be many kids on board.
14 Miles From Los Angeles Cruise Center
2,390 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
As mentioned, Anything longer than a week, departs midweek and in general more expensive =older pax.

Had a 10 day Alaska cruise, was amazed at number of canes, crutches and wheelchairs at the cruise center. Our next hint was the giant pile [60-80] of oxygen tanks. The 13 seeing eye dogs is a story in itself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Anything that doesn't kill you,,, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess 2/2002 Mexico
Star Princess 2/2003 Mexico (2nd time)
Carnival Pride 10/2004 Mexico (3rd time)
Diamond Princess 5/2005 Alaska
Sapphire Princess 12/2005 Mexico (4th time)
Dawn Princess 11/2006 Mexico (5th time)
Caribbean Princess 6/2007 W. Carribean
Golden Princess 11/2007 Mexico (6th time)
Sapphire Princess 11/2008 Mexico (7th time)
Star Princess 6/2009 Alaska
Mariner of the Seas 12/2009 Mexico (8th time)
Sapphire Princess 12/2010 Mexico (9th time)
Coral Princess 10/2011 Trans Panama Canal
Ruby Princess 4/23/2019 Alaska
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by nhsails
Pretty much same...longer the cruise older the demographic on ANY cruise line. Celebrity is usually our first choice think more country club than Beach club. Our older grands 13-20)actually now prefer Celebrity and Viking. Kids programs are great and smaller groups. Agree you might want to look at B2B a great option. Enjoy whatever you choose and safe journeys
Thankyou.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by Chloesmom1
The other factor that comes to mind is the time of year. We've only ever been on one cruise so far and it was Celebrity over the winter holiday period and there were lots of kids. My kids were 14 and 8 at the time and while our 14 year old just hung out by the pool and read, our 8 yr old son occasionally participated in the kids club where there were plenty of kids to hang out with when he was in the mood. They both enjoyed the cruise and said they would go on a Celebrity cruise again. That said, my husband and I are going on our second cruise in several months, also on Celebrity, but it will be when school is in session. We don't expect there to be many kids on board.
Thankyou. We like the ports on this particular x cruise we're looking at and time of year suits us too. Thanks again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by jlp20
As mentioned, Anything longer than a week, departs midweek and in general more expensive =older pax.

Had a 10 day Alaska cruise, was amazed at number of canes, crutches and wheelchairs at the cruise center. Our next hint was the giant pile [60-80] of oxygen tanks. The 13 seeing eye dogs is a story in itself.
Bahahahaha thanks for helping me raise my observation levels for my next one...I think lol !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature