Vaccination

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:50 PM.
88,579 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
No vaccinations are required to enter Japan or China so no worries.

Although one should do this anyway it's always a good idea before you travel to be sure your vaccinations are up to date.

Before you enter you arrive to your first port in China you are likely going to be required to go to an area where the ships medical staff will take your temperature as this is a requirement to enter China. They worry about people being sick such as the flu. Likewise Japan often has some requirements where your temperature will be checked but that varies.

Keith
United States
877 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Personally, I would always have the latest flu vaccine. A current tetanus vaccination. And for most places, Hep A and B.
Virginia
21,866 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Keith1010

Before you enter you arrive to your first port in China you are likely going to be required to go to an area where the ships medical staff will take your temperature as this is a requirement to enter China. They worry about people being sick such as the flu. Likewise Japan often has some requirements where your temperature will be checked but that varies.

Keith
When did China start this?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
Burien
807 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
We had temperature tests in China and Japan last spring on our Volendam cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tim Bowman
**** Star HAL Mariner
Past Cruises also on Celebrity and Carnival
United States
877 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by ronrick1943
No, but ask your doctor--they will know whats best for you.
Not necessarily. Unless they keep up on travel medicine. If not, they will look at the CDC site just like you can.
United States
877 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Scrapnana
When did China start this?
A lot of countries do this. Most times they use a thermal camera and you don't even realize it is being done.

If the thermal camera flags you, they will pull you aside and take your temperature to make sure.
United States
877 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
One vaccination I forgot, there is a recommendation for a one time adult polio booster, after age 18. If you have not had this, I would get it also. Polio is still around, and you really don't want to get it.
New Jersey, the Philly end
7,092 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Add to vaccines to discuss with you physician: shingles and pneumonia. The hep A & B series are generally recommended for "boomers" regardless of travel plans.
88,579 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by SRF
A lot of countries do this. Most times they use a thermal camera and you don't even realize it is being done.

If the thermal camera flags you, they will pull you aside and take your temperature to make sure.
Yes, they did this in a couple of ports in Japan.

Keith
Florida
3,995 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
To come back to the op's question:
No vaccinations needed for China and Japan.

We travelled to both countries on separate land trips and on a cruise from Hong Kong to Osaka visa Shanghai - Tianjin -.Seoul and a number of small ports in between. The various vaccinations we have are for tropical countries (i.e. yellow fever)
Orlando, FL
974 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
So here's how it went when we spent a month in Asia last year. We flew to Beijing from NYC and as you get off the plane you walk through a temperature sensor. It moves very quickly and if you don't have a fever it won't be a problem. Then you move onto border control (which can be chaotic). As our cruise moved from China to Japan (and then back to China) we would have to go through passport control on the ship and as part of that there were more temperature sensors. It wasn't bad, but just be prepared for some lines as it's not the fastest process. This was on Oceania in Feb 2016. We did not have any vaccines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016 - Oceania Nautica- Beijing to Hong Kong (4 Days in Beijing prior, 3 days in Hong Kong post)
2015 - Oceania Marina - Sydney to Auckland (5 Days in Sydney prior, 3 days in Auckland post)
2014 - Oceania Marina - Southampton to Southampton around the British Isles (with 4 days in Amsterdam prior)
2013 - Oceania Marina - Stockholm to Copenhagen (4 days extra on each end)
2012 - Azamara Quest - Rio to Buenos Aires (4 days extra on each end)
2011 - QM2 - New England & Canada
2010 - Celebrity Millenium - Alaska
2009 - Carnival ??? - E. Caribbean
2008 - Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean
2007 - Celebrity ??? - E. Caribbean
(COLLEGE & STARTING CAREER )
1997 - Cunard QE2 - E. Caribbean
Sacramento, California
863 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
There aren't any required vaccinations (unless you are coming from a country on the Yellow fever list). The CDC has vaccine recommendations:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...vel-single-001
I got Hep A and B before going to China. Hepatitis A was particularly recommended from China because it can get passed by eating and the Chinese practice of serving oneself with ones own chopsticks from shared dishes increases the risk. For example, if you went on an excursion that included that kind of meal. And it is generally a good one to have for traveling anyway.

The Hepatitis B was more on general principles and because one might as well get it along with getting the Hep A - I travel a lot and there is always the slight risk of getting exposed if one has to have a blood transfusion or something like that.

I see that they now have Typhoid vaccine on the recommended list. It wasn't when I traveled and I don't think I've ever gotten that vaccine. Edited: actually, now I'm not sure about that - I see it can be given as a pill and I recall getting a pill vaccine for something so may have gotten it.