Do you use the stateroom safe?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:50 AM.
SoCal
2 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Getting ready to go on my first cruise in November, and I've been reading anything I can get my fingers on re: in room safes and if they are really safe. I've read everything from ... the in room safes are not very safe, and placing your valuables in the suitcase under your bed, or ... using the purser to store your valuables, ...to carting around all your precious paperwork, etc. What do you do to keep your valuables safe while on shore or enjoying the ship?
Thanking you in advance for your insights
Central Illinois
113,994 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
We use the stateroom safe all the time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
New Cumberland,PA, USA
27,694 Posts
Joined May 2000
Woah....slow down. Not sure what you are reading, but paranoia has taken over many sites and some people's minds. We have been cruising for about forty years (well over 100 cruises all over the world) and always use room safes with no issues. Yes, they can be opened (in the case of emergency or malfunction) by a few limited staff (usually from the pursers office). But that is true about ever hotel/cruise safe in the world. Your valuables will be quite fine in your cabin safe.

As to taking things off the ship in ports, our best advice is to only take what you need and leave everything else locked securely in your cabin safe.

Just to add some amusement, we assume you are pretty young, taking your first cruise (likely on Carnival) and worry about everything . There are some older folks (we are certainly in that category) who take very long cruises (sometimes over 6 months long) who will lock 10s of thousands of dollars worth of cash and valuables in their safe's.....without any hesitation.

Hank
Exactly where I want to be
6,991 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Hlitner
Woah....slow down. Not sure what you are reading, but paranoia has taken over many sites and some people's minds. We have been cruising for about forty years (well over 100 cruises all over the world) and always use room safes with no issues. Yes, they can be opened (in the case of emergency or malfunction) by a few limited staff (usually from the pursers office). But that is true about ever hotel/cruise safe in the world. Your valuables will be quite fine in your cabin safe.

As to taking things off the ship in ports, our best advice is to only take what you need and leave everything else locked securely in your cabin safe.

Just to add some amusement, we assume you are pretty young, taking your first cruise (likely on Carnival) and worry about everything . There are some older folks (we are certainly in that category) who take very long cruises (sometimes over 6 months long) who will lock 10s of thousands of dollars worth of cash and valuables in their safe's.....without any hesitation.

Hank
As always, Hank, you are the one with the right opinion

I'm up there in years, too. I always use the available safe, be on a cruise or in a hotel. I have yet to have any kind of incident of theft. I will put everything that will fit in there. But, when I traveled with a luggable PC or a laptop, I always carried a PC lock and locked it to something - sometimes the plumbing pipes.
Don't worry about it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Every trip is different, and I am different on every trip."
My opinion is my own and not reflective of any company I may work for who may or may not have a presence on this website.
Avatar photo: taken by me from my hot air balloon on the Masai Mara
402 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Use the safe. It also ensures you know where your passports, wallets, cash, and electronics are when you’re not using them.

No reason to take your passport off the ship unless a port requires them. But this is a debated topic. I’d guess many more people have their passports damaged or stolen than miss the ship and need them. No way to miss the ship and not be taken care of if you’re on a ship excursion.
Texas
840 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I have never, and will never, use the safe.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*MSC Meraviglia - June 2018 - 14 Night Northern Europe*
Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - July 2017 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Magic - February 2015 - 5 Night Western Caribbean
Norwegian Sun - March 2006 - 7 Night Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy or Ecstasy - 1992
Cincinnati
2,889 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
We always store valuables in the safe and have never had an issue. I really don't think the average room steward has a master key pass to open the safe.

Certainly better than leaving items out, in drawers, or in the suitcase under the bed (everyone knows that trick).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
589 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
My last cruise .... May 2017 ... I used the safe. And, there on the inside of the closet door ... were the instructions for resetting the code. IF you forgot the code or the safe wasn't 'taking' the code ... there were the how to's ... step by step to clear existing passcode and setting new one. But .... I had no problems then or ever using a cruise line safe. Just FYI.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Cruise Bermuda 1982
Carnival Cruise Bahamas 1986
Princess Day Cruise to Ensenada 1994
Royal Caribbean Mexico 2004
NCL Alaska 2012
NCL 12 Day Med. Cruise 2013
NCL Cuba 2017
Columbia SC
62 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by Alaynne
Getting ready to go on my first cruise in November, and I've been reading anything I can get my fingers on re: in room safes and if they are really safe. I've read everything from ... the in room safes are not very safe, and placing your valuables in the suitcase under your bed, or ... using the purser to store your valuables, ...to carting around all your precious paperwork, etc. What do you do to keep your valuables safe while on shore or enjoying the ship?
Thanking you in advance for your insights
We always use the safe and don't think twice about it. We've never had anything go missing. One time we had a ton of cash in the safe and hubby forgot to close and lock it, but still nothing was touched.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Check out my Website:
The Quiet Cruiser
Cruising FUN-damentals
http://quietcruiser.com

April 23, 2018
Freedom of the Seas

December 3, 2017
Oasis of the Seas

April 23, 2017
Carnival Victory

January 3, 2016
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

November 7, 2014
Carnival Liberty

February 1, 2014!!!
Carnival Dream

Our 35th Wedding Anniversary Cruise, sailing April 20, 2013.

Pennsylvania
5,636 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
One advantage to using the safe is that if you get delayed in port due to an accident or unforseen circumstance and miss the ship's sailing your passport, etc can be retrieved by the purser's staff and given to the port agent to limit the collateral issues you'll face in catching up with the ship or making it home. If you hide the passports somewhere creative it reduces the chances they'll be able to fund them in the limited time available before casting off all lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Fredericksburg, va. USA
83,778 Posts
Joined May 2001
They are safe....safer than "hiding" your stuff! That's why they're called "safes"! Yes, they can be opened by the head of security, if need be...but unless you miss the ship, that won't happen. No worries!
6,589 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
We always use the safe in the cabin. No reason not to.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2018 Cruise:

March 2018 Cruise:

September 2018

March 2019 Cruise:

March 2019 Cruise:
Minnesota
388 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Why wouldn't you use the safe? That's what it's there for and we always use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wind Surf 1.30.2016 "Classic Caribbean"
Carnival Magic 2.8.2015
Wind Spirit 12.27.2014 "Panama Canal & Costa Rica"
Legend of the Seas 6.13.2003 "Alaska"
Royal Olympian 2001 "3 Continents"
Dolphin Cruise Line 11.1995
Monarch of the Seas 2.23.1992 "Southern Caribbean"
I come from a land down under
22,903 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Yep

Phone and wallet, straight in.

But then I’ve also got back from shore and dumped a wad of cash on the desk without locking it up. Never had anything touched.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Delaware
1,177 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I feel the safest place for my valuables like passport, phone, tablet and credit card is the safe. To tell the truth my phone isn't the latest model, and my tablet is a cheap model, but they contain valuable identification and information.

I never bring expensive personal items like jewelry with me - I've no need to risk it being lost or stolen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain

my email goingplaces@juno.com

2017 Celebrity Solstice - New Zealand/Australia
2018 Silver Galapagos
San Diego County
2,428 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Yes, we always use the safe - passports, cell phone (unlike many, we don't use it onboard), cash, jewelry, etc., plus a spare copy of all our emergency contact information (family, insurance phone #, credit card & bank numbers, etc.).

We once had a problem where we couldn't unlock the safe - we must have been off one digit when we entered our usual code. In order to get it opened, the purser's desk said they'd send security to our room. It turned out to be 2 employees - they said they were required to have 2 people when opening safes. It seems to me that the safes are only 'unsafe' if you forget to close them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruising since 1977.