La Jolla hotels

babylene

Recommendations so fare are the Hotel La Jolla and the Best Western. We would like to be walking distance to everything...and do not want to pay a fortune. Ocean view at the Best Western is $161 incl. cont. bkfst. At the Hotel La Jolla it is $149..no food. Can anyone compare these hotels? Or suggest another in the same price range? Thank you.

I am tempted to say "hi, Brat" but that doesn't sound so good, does it?!!??

The Hotel La Jolla on the Shore on La Jolla Shore Drive in La Jolla, California.

It's a difficult choice. At least I've narrowed it down to the two hotels. Both are near the ocean and we could get a room with a view. The Best Western is more $$, but offers a continental breakfast.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

babylene--is there a specific reason you have chosen La Jolla. It is very pretty, but also very expensive and traffic is a nightmare!! If you are going on a cruise out of San Diego have you thought about Mission Bay, Shelter Island or downtown. Or even Coronado??

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02
Paradise 9/21/03
Star Princess 10/24/04

Hi Dosi! Thanks for the input. Years ago, we visited San Diego with our (then) young sons. We stayed at the Hyatt Islandia on Mission Bay. We visited all the sights, but never got to La Jolla. I just thought it would make a lovely ending to our vacation. I booked a car, but would even consider other transportation to and from the port/airport, because we wouldn't need the car in La Jolla. (We would like to be able to walk everywhere). What do you think?

Well I am glad it is at the end of your vacation, then you do not have to worry about getting stuck in traffic and "missing the boat". I would probably go with the car rental idea because hiring a cab to and from the airport will probably cost you just as much. We lived in La Jolla and San Diego in the early 80's. We visited about 3 years ago and I could not believe the difference. Traffic in and out of La Jolla is quite heavy especially at rush hour. However once you get there, there is really no reason for you to leave. I would probably lean toward the Best Western just because breakfast is taken care of. However if you are going to have a car you may want to call both hotels to see what the charge is for the car park as that might tip the scales one way or another. If you are flying out of San Diego after your time in La Jolla I just want to remind you of the traffic situation again and perhaps suggest if you have more than one night to book your last night at a hotel near the airport which has a shuttle thereby eliminating the trip to the airport stress completely. Have a great time and please post if you have any more questions and I will try to help out.

doris

Elation 10/20/02
Paradise 9/21/03
Star Princess 10/24/04

I was thinking the same thing about the last night. I don't yet know what time our return flight will be. If it is in the morning (most likely) we will spend the night in San Diego. We will be spending one night pre-cruise in San Diego as well.

The Best Western charges $9 per night for parking. The Hotel La Jolla doesn't charge. Once there, we won't really need a car at either hotel.I imagine La Jolla to be another Carmel. Am I right?

Yeah you are right except with fewer art galleries and waaaaay more restaurants and alot more new money than old money (but remember I haven't been there in a while). I saw on the Hotel La Jolla website that they have a complimentary shuttle to central La Jolla. Based on the no charge for parking and the shuttle I would go with them. Then you are free to get breakfast wherever you want or better still pick up some pastries and coffee and go have breakfast at the beach!!! Have a great trip and feel free to email me direct if you have any other questions. dorrob@comcast. net.

doris

Elation 10/20/02
Paradise 9/21/03
Star Princess 10/24/04

Thanks, Doris. You've been so helpful. I think I agree about the Hotel La Jolla. It looks nice and the reviews are not bad.

We were in Carmel many years ago. The art galeries were great. We bought a small naive painting....a winter scene...of all things to buy in sunny California!

We will be in La Jolla in March. I hope it's not rainy. I would love to take long walks on and off the beach. Sounds good to me...look at where I live!

And if you stay in La Jolla, you must eat at Georges on the Cove!! Fantastic!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img] Until the FUN begins!!!!

If you are going to have a car then it is pretty much 50/50 where you stay. You either stay in LJ and drive into SD when you want something new to do or vice versa. Personally I think the best plan would be one or two night in LJ and then one night pre-flight in either downtown SD or Harbor Island. Then you get the best of both worlds and don't have to worry about traffic making you late for your flight.

doris

Elation 10/20/02
Paradise 9/21/03
Star Princess 10/24/04

We are spending 1 night in San Diego,pre-cruise. So far, I booked the Best Western Bayside. Is it good? Last time we cruised out of San Diego, I did the same thing and then closer to the date, someone posted that they got a good rate at the Residence Inn, so we switched.
Your idea of 2 nights (or 3...I forget which date I chose for my return flight!!) in La Jolla, then the last night in San Diego is great...as long as there is enough to do in La Jolla.

You are going to have a car though right?? If you get bored in LJ you can always drive up the coast and explore some of northern San Diego County. There are some beautiful little communities along the coast.

doris

Elation 10/20/02
Paradise 9/21/03
Star Princess 10/24/04

• 2 weeks later...
Doris, are you still there? Someone somewhere said it could be windy and nasty in March. Now we are thinking of staying in San Diego. Would that be a mistake? I figure if the weather is good we could do "outdoor" things, but if it is bad, we could go to a museum of SHOP!! If the weather is bad, I am afraid we'll be "stuck" in La Jolla.

I'm still here. You are going to have a car right? As long as you have a car you will be fine. Downtown San Diego is only 20-60 minutes away depending on traffic. OR you could split your stay and go to La Jolla a night or two and then downtown.

doris

Elation 10/20/02
Paradise 9/21/03
Star Princess 10/24/04

Archived