I Belize in MAGIC! MITSUGIRLY revisits the Western Route. My Novel.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:38 AM.
Somerset, New Jersey
13,652 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Hey Kim! Glad to see you starting your review. Looking forward to your take on the Magic!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous Cruises since 1985 Carnival (49) Holiday x4, Jubilee, Celebration x3, Fantasy x3, Ecstasy, Sensation x 2, Fascination x4, Paradise, Elation x2, Destiny x2, Triumph x2, Victory, Conquest, Glory x2, Liberty, Splendor x3, Pride x4, Legend x3, Miracle x3, Sunshine x2, Dream, Magic x2, Breeze. (Expand signature for links to our reviews & photo albums.)
Cunard - Countess
NCL - Norway
Premier - Rembrant
Celebrity - Zenith
RCI - Explorer of the Seas

Remaining 2018 Bookings - Pride 10/21 (7 day Bermuda).

2019 Bookings - Inspiration 4/22 (4 day Baja Mexico), Splendor 4/27 (14 day Hawaii), Sunrise B2B 9/16 (6 day Bermuda), 9/22 (7 day NE / Canada).

2020 Bookings - Glory B2B 4/5 (7 day Western), 4/12 (7 day Eastern), Valor 4/20 (5 day Western).

Click here for our Cruise and Vacation Photo Albums

Our Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Photo Review - 8/13/13
Our Carnival Fascination Nassau / HMC Photo Review - 8/2/14
Our Carnival Liberty Southern Caribbean Photo Review - 8/9/14
My Solo Carnival Splendor Repo Cruise Photo Review - 10/24/14
Our Carnival Pride Spring Break Photo Review - 4/5/15
Our Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Photo Review - 6/29/15
Our Carnival Breeze Eastern Caribbean Photo Review - 8/15/15
Our Carnival Fascination Spring Break Photo Review - 3/26/16
Our Carnival Sunshine New England / Canada Photo Review - 9/3/16
Our Carnival Pride Repo Journeys Photo Review - 2/26/17
Our Carnival Magic B2B with a side of Elation Photo Review - 10/7/17
Our Carnival Paradise and Conquest Photo Review - 4/14/18

KJM (1995-2014) - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened - Dr. Seuss
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

They had a live musician playing in this courtyard and made it nice to sit back and relax and watch the kids swim half the night.

They do have a "kiddie" pool but it was ICE COLD!

We were finally able to drag the kids out of the pool and headed back to the room to get dressed and warm.

Meanwhile....Sakari decided to yank a tooth out that had been wiggly for awhile. Like can't you do that when you are home? I convinced her the tooth fairy doesn't travel well and she's stuck back in Ohio with her wings frozen.

We decided to walk over to the Raceway gas station for some pop and snacks. I was about 99.89% sure we needed to head out and down the street to the left. However, Kendra put it in her phones gps and had us going to the right...then circle around and....wait a minute, why am I listening to her?

We turned around and headed back in the direction I originally said it was in and soon came to the gas station. We grabbed our 3 cartons and some snacks for the night, paid for them and then put them in our rolling luggage just for this occasion and headed back.

Back at the hotel, we talked for a little bit, watched some t.v. and headed to bed around 11:30pm...where that would be all that I did that night (head to bed) because I didn't sleep a wink thanks to Billy snoring, being too hot or too cold at any given point, and an alarm on the nightstand that started going off over and over that Billys phone was sitting on to charge and I was just so uncomfortable in a strange bed. Then throw the excitement on top of that. I can never sleep the night before a cruise.

After about the 4th time of this loud beeping sound coming from the nightstand happened, I decided to get up at 6:30am and throw it out the window. Just kidding...I couldn't get the window open. I would later find out that B is the one who set the alarm by pushing the buttons the night before and said "I didn't know what it did so I put it on 6". Yea right B.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
EPIC SPIRIT PEARL STAR JEWEL GETAWAY SUN SKY DAWN BREAKAWAY JADE EPIC
CARNIVAL:
Dream Pride Breeze Fascination Conquest Magic
ARUBA: Arashi Beaches Animals Sites
BAHAMAS:Great Stirrup Cay Half Moon Cay Blue Lagoon Melia Junkanoo Paradise
BARBADOS:Boatyard
BELIZE:Cavetubing Cavetubing Bannister Shark Ray Alley Goffs Rendezvous
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Snorkel Park Tobacco St Catherines Achilles Jet Ski/boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Snorkel Park
COSTA MAYA:Almaplena Maya Chan Nohoch Blue KayBlueKay
COZUMEL:Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion Island Palancar Money Bar Paradise
CURACAO Diving
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC:Saona
GRAND CAYMAN:Stingray Sandbar Stingrays, Rum Point
GRAND TURK:BohioGovernorsGibbs
ROATAN: LFKey LFK Maya Key West Bay ZiplineLFK scuba
SAN JUAN:Pamelas
ST KITTS:Reggae Carambola
ST LUCIA: Jalousie
ST MAARTEN:Orient & Maho Mullet Maho Divi Pinel
ST THOMAS:Saphhire Coki Linquist Coki
TORTOLA: Baths
13,348 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Jamman54
Hey Kim! Glad to see you starting your review. Looking forward to your take on the Magic!
I am looking forward to reading yours as well....... hoping the next installment is soon!
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by LMBB
Yay! Another mitsugirly review! Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello and thanks for following.

Originally posted by easyboy
Nice to be following your review again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Thank you. Glad to have you here.

Originally posted by retiring soon
Hi all!

Kim ~ so nice to catch your review from the beginning!! I wondered when we'd see Kendra's little girl & now we will. What a cutie pie! Yikes, she's not like her auntie as regards water is she?!!
Like you I first tried Carnival in 2013 & love it too.
Looking forward to your usual long, detailed fun review!

~ Jo ~

ps I did Escape & Conquest in October & both were great!
Hi there "already retired". Glad to have you here. So happy to hear you enjoyed the Escape & Conquest. Sakari keeps telling me she wants to go on the Escape now.

Originally posted by Buckett
Patiently waiting for more! I always enjoy your reviews. The time and detail you put into them is really appreciated!
Thank you and glad you enjoy them. They are a lot of work.

Originally posted by Arzeena
Yayyyy!
My prayers have been answered! Lol
Looking forward to enjoying my afternoons with mitsugirly reviews and pictures.

So glad to have you here! I'm still loving your name as always!

Originally posted by firedisney
Following - I have been watching for your new review. Thanks for doing them they are awesome

Hi and thanks for joining. I hope you enjoy this one too.

Originally posted by SenatorsFan
Hi Kim, it's great to see you back with another review! I've been waiting to tell you that when we were on Escape in October, DH and I went to Little French Key for our day in Roatan. Thank you so much for recommending them. We loved our day there, seeing the animals, drinking Monkey La Las (me ) and enjoying the beautiful water. I would happily go back and I'll also be interested to see what you planned for your day in Roatan this time around. BTW, we loved the Escape.
HIYA HEATHER! Good to see you.

So glad you enjoyed LFK. It's an amazing and beautiful place isn't it? Another person who loved the Escape. That's awesome. I need to book it hehe

Originally posted by chipis
Yay!!... New Mitsugirly review!!

What a great way to start this week!... Thanks Kim!... looking forward to reading your adventures!
Aww, thanks and glad you are here.

Originally posted by pgh
Hey there! You know I'll be following along, I just love your reviews!!!
Yippee, glad you are here girlfriend.

Originally posted by Cruisin Karen
The beginning of a Mitsugirly review and the middle of a Jamman review. How did I get so lucky!!! Glad to have you back. Congrats on your new GD. Sakari looks so pretty and grown up!
Hi there Karen! So glad you are here. I know, Sakari is just getting so tall. She's growing up on me....tear.

Originally posted by 13cheermom
We were on this same cruise, anxious to hear your take on things. Actually enjoy reading all of your reviews and have picked up some great advice from you regarding port excursions. Want to thank-you for all the detail with LFK in Roatan from previous reviews, we went there on this cruise and had a wonderful time (despite the iffy weather). But would definitely go back when we could enjoy it longer. It was a great cruise for us also and really enjoyed the Magic.
Hi there and thanks for coming to read this one too, even though you were on the same cruise.

So glad you liked LFK. I heard that it was great weather there that day (not for us on the other side of the island).

Originally posted by fyree
Following...
Thanks

Originally posted by FoxinSpace
I finally caught a Mitsugirly review at the beginning! Can't wait to hear your adventures!
LOL, a lot of people are saying this. Glad you are here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Snorkel Park Tobacco St Catherines Achilles Jet Ski/boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Snorkel Park
COZUMEL:Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion Island Palancar Money Bar Paradise
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Luke Saint Joe
Yeah, a Mitsugirly review!!!! Sakari is growing up so quickly!
She is isn't she? Glad to have you here.

Originally posted by jolyroger
WOOOHOOOO!!! Love you reviews!! Between the pics the review itself both are fabulous, I feel we here at CC have seen your little girl grow up through the yrs as well, (they seem to do that too fast, lol). We'll be taking our girls on The Magic at Christmas this yr and Doing the Western as well. So we've been reading and watching Youtube videos since we booked it to pass the time. Can't wait to read the rest of your review.
Well show some enthusiasm please. hehe Just kidding and glad you are excited. Oh yes, everyone has seen her grow up over the last 6 years. It's crazy to look back at my old reviews and see her so small...still doing the same things she does now.

Originally posted by CandR
Looking forward to your review!
Thanks

Originally posted by Boxer mom
Yay! Love your reviews!
Thanks and glad you enjoy them.

Originally posted by rs45
Following
Thanks

Originally posted by medianeh
Did I miss the post about what ship and sailing dates?
I hope not...the ship name is in the title.

We were on the Magic on November 11-18th

Originally posted by singing
woohoo I'm here to follow along.
Can't believe how much Sakari is growing before your/our very eyes!
Glad to have you. It's sad how quickly they grow up right?

Originally posted by cafe
So excited for your review!
Thanks and I'm glad to hear it.

Originally posted by supermom with 4 girls
So excited for another review! And WOW has Sakari grown up!! I can't believe how much older she looks in these pictures than in the last review you posted. She's still so beautiful
Thanks so much. Yes, she is definitely getting big. Really? You think she looks a lot older since the last? Maybe it's because my last actual cruise review was from March/April because we ended up doing a 10 day Aruba land vaca this summer and I didn't do my normal review. Thanks for the compliments.

Originally posted by Host Clarea
Enjoying the beautiful photos.
Why thank you so much.

Originally posted by cruzin
YES!!! I finally can catch a review as you begin it!! Your reviews are not long...they are epic!! Its like going on an adventure of a life time!!

I am excited to once again to live vicariously through your travels!
Haha...Epic. They are novels for sure. So glad to have you here.

Originally posted by Beechie
Oh my goodness--I have read most or all of all your reviews as you are the person I try to find when I am visiting a port I know you have been on. But I don't always catch them right when you start one. I think your first review was when Sakari was 3--she looks huge now, I can't even believe that is the same little girl!

Anyway, I always enjoy your reviews even though I don't usually comment. I'm looking forward to seeing what all your fam did on this cruise! Congrats to Sakari on the gifted program and I think I read she is scuba diving too now? You must be very proud!

Oh and I think you are in big trouble in about 4 years!
Aww, how nice of you to say. I'm glad I'm somewhat helpful when you need it. Yep, my first review with Sakari was when she was 3 and they have just grown (along with her) each time.

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you took the time and I appreciate you being here.

Yes, she became a certified PADI Seal last October (I think it was) and has been scuba diving every month since and now has 4 ocean dives completed as well. Her last class here is next week and she'll become a Master PADI Seal. Oh the joy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Jamman54
I hear you have one going as well. I'll have to catch up to yours soon too!

Originally posted by debster11
Following! I'll be on her Saturday! Can't wait!!
I hope you have a wonderful time.

Originally posted by teknoge
I'm following along as we're on this same ship/agenda next year.
Hi, glad to have you here. I hope you have a wonderful time on this ship/agenda next year (and hopefully better weather than we had).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
Central Florida
1,710 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Wonderful review as always!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
@cruisin_keto
Gina & Chris
Kindness matters!

Future:
Adventure OTS - 9 day Southern Caribbean - 1/2019
Symphony OTS - 4 day Bahamas Sampler - 5/2019
Carnival Elation - 5 day Caribbean - 2/2020
Alaska - Celebrity - 2023
Hawaii - Pride of America - 7 day RT 2025

Past:
RCL Freedom - 12-17-2017 Preview- Semi-live report
RCL Majesty - 12-12-2016 Review
RCL Enchantment - 10-25-2013
RCL Monarch - 12-12-2008
RCL Sovereign - 10-6-2008
Pembroke Pines, Florida
1,001 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Can't wait to read more, Kim. We leave on Magic in 5 days!
Gale
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises Sailed:

Carnival: 43 cruises, 224 nights
Royal Caribbean: 18 cruises, 104 nights
Norwegian: 6 cruises, 42 nights
Princess: 6 cruises, 29 nights
Celebrity: 2 cruises, 12 nights
South Mississippi
277 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Yay! We’ve got 26 days until our Christmas cruise which is the kids first cruise. Reading your review will keep me occupied until we sail! Plus, we’re doing the same itinerary!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
7/1998 - Carnival Ecstasy
1/2014 - RCCL Serenade of the Seas
1/2015 - NCL Dawn
7/2016 - Carnival Dream
12-2017 - NCL Pearl
6/2018 - NCL Getaway
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
DAY 1: Getting on the ship

So like I said, I was up at 6:30am thanks to B setting this alarm on the nightstand.

I allowed everyone to sleep in a little longer and then it was time to wake the crowd. If momma can't sleep, others shouldn't be allowed either right?

Everyone was up and getting ready and it started........the rain. Ugh! I just knew it. I had been checking the weather faithfully, prior to leaving for the cruise, and it said rain all week. Rain in Florida, thunderstorms every day in port, rain when we returned. Rain, rain, rain and raining it was. Just great!

By the time everyone was almost ready, I looked outside and seen this:

I was really hoping this was a good sign of the cruise to come.

I know the Caribbean can get rain...sometimes daily, and it never last very long. However, this wasn't a forecast for just rain or showers...it was THUNDERSTORMS in the forecast. Ugh! Well we had just experienced our first rain and on the day of embarkation. Just great.

I was hungry and had heard people mention there was a restaurant next door called Zachary's. I looked them up online and seen that they served breakfast and I gathered my clan and we headed next door.

When we arrived, there was an older woman that passed by us a few times without acknowledgement. She finally came back after we had been standing there awhile and said to "come this way" only to tell us to "hold on". She's in the picture rearranging the items on the table. It was already cleaned, so no clue why she felt the need to arrange it. As you can tell, it wasn't very busy.

It took us forever to actually be seated. It was odd and she was somewhat rude with her comments and attitude/voice. I'm not sure why.

Billy wanted lunch, but she said "no lunch, we are serving breakfast". We ordered our breakfast and then noticed a couple sitting that came about 10 minutes after we did and they....were....eating....lunch! Um, ok.

Now on to our food. It took awhile before it came out and when it did, it was a mixture of uncooked to over cooked food. My food was ok, but there were a lot of over cooked hashbrowns that were too hard to chew.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
The hubbys meal came with toast, which he did not receive and had to ask for, and when it did come, one was not cooked and the other was burned. Yes, this was all brought up to the waitress when she asked "How were things" and once we told her she just said "oh" and shrugged it off.

Brayden said his food was not too good and for B to say that, there's gotta be something wrong. The kid loves his food as you can tell by his weight gain over the last year.

Sakari ordered scrambled eggs and said "They are burnt mommy, I can't eat these". There was absolutely nothing on them that appeared burnt. I tried them, they tasted burnt. Weird.

At some point drinks were forgotten and then somehow spilled and went all over the table, floor and Kendra. The older lady did not seemed pleased with this and had some more snide remarks as she had to mop up the floor.

Kendra and Billy ordered steak and eggs. Billy said it was probably the worse piece of steak he had ever tasted from any place ever. Kendra did not like hers either. But when they were bringing out their food, Kendra was still trying to clean up the wet table they didn't clean and she (the older lady) was holding their plates and asked who got what and Kendra was still trying to clean the table and make room and the lady said "Here, figure it out and I'll lay it here" and pretty much slammed the plate onto the table in a different area. Like really rude. I have no idea what her problem was. I do know I would never return there again if I stayed in the area. I can't believe this place was recommended.

Billy couldn't even finish his steak and eggs and he was ready to go. By the time we made it back to the hotel room, he was throwing up. He said it just made him so sick. He didn't even make it to the bathroom and ended up heading to the first place he could when he walked into the room...the sink in the kitchen area. Whoops. They had to call maintenance to come unclog it.

Kendra and I decided to walk over to the surf shop down the street beside the gas station to look for a pair of flip flops for Sakari. Her dinosaur feet have grown so much over the summer that she is down to only a pair of Nike Slides that fit. I managed to find her a pair of flip flops so at least she had 2 pairs of summer shoes to wear instead of tennis shoes the entire cruise.

We packed up our things and checked out of the hotel at noon. I had a 11am check in time I believe, but since Kendra is a late bloomer and didn't book until much later than I did, I think her only choice was around 1pm. So, it really didn't matter when I got there and had to go off her schedule.

I called Lyft for a ride to the cruise port with an estimate of around $6-7 total plus tip. I sent Kendra a code for being a "newbie" and her ride was free. It's a lot cheaper than using the hotel shuttle or a cab. We did go in 2 separate vans. Kendra's pulled up first and off they went...meanwhile, we watched ours pass the hotel and then turn around.

Our first glimpse of a ship in port:

There she is!!!! I always get this warm fuzzy feeling inside when I first spot our ship.

See that silver van up there in line? That is Kendra and family. That's how much quicker they got there before us.

It wouldn't be too long before her line came to an abrupt halt and they opened up another lane...that would be OUR lane. hehe

We zoomed around them, pulled up to the other side of the terminal, checked in our luggage, paid the porter, and was standing outside waiting on Kendra and family to meet up with us about 10 minutes later.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I believe we actually headed into the terminal around 1pm. I don't remember because it was such a blur that I forgot to look...blur as in something going by really fast like a car. It.was.quick!

I think we checked in, did the security-I'm-not-smuggling-booze-in-my-bag check, to the line, take my picture for my "still gold status" S&S card and on the ship we went...20 minutes tops. It was amazing!

We did stop for some family pics though:

And...Kam didn't get the memo about smiling for this one. She was ready to go and darted out midway during the snap!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
east coast
1,019 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by mitsugirly
Our hotel...

We originally booked the Country Inn there on Astronaut Blvd. However, Irma had other plans for some of the hotels in that area.

Someone on our roll call said that they received notification that their reservations had been cancelled. Hmmm, I had not received anything either by phone, email or text. Weird. So, I decided to call them and yep, our reservation had been cancelled. Nice of them to tell me about this. I'm now wondering how many people they didn't inform of the closure and showed up to a closed hotel.

We also had Country Inn booked for our pre-cruise stay, we did receive an email on my husbands work account about the cancellation and I called about it. I have to agree they didn't handle that whole situation very well and should have called everyone instead of relying on emails. But we also re-booked with the Radisson since they are both part of IHG - Carlson Rewards program. Actually we were really pleased with the Radisson this time and it was a better rate than Country Inn & Suites. Your room looks really nice and sounds like a great deal also. Curious, was that a pull-out couch to sleep on also? Have adult kids that travel with us sometimes and would be a great option for a room for us.
We did have a great day at LFK we stayed until about 3:00 when the rain poured down. But thanks to all of your tips and advice we knew what to do and where to go, lol. Thanks again!
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
You know it's about time to have some fun when you are walking the blue halls. Kam and Sakari was in the lead and excited.

Kendra was giving duck lips to someone on the phone.

We couldn't wait to see Kam's reaction.

I attempted a "stepping foot on the ship" pic but it was a little too dark in there.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We made it.

We headed straight to the bar to get our pop sticker. This would be the first time that I ordered this package prior to getting on the ship. You save a little bit of $$ and you can instantly start getting caffeined up. We normally do not drink alcohol when we cruise with Carnival. Maybe just a few here and there. I just can't justify spending that kind of money per drink. The drink package would never be worth it to us because we couldn't consume enough to make it worth the expensive price. So, we save our drinking for when we cruise with NCL and they are free.

However, Kendra didn't care what the price was and headed for her first alcoholic beverage.

This was her "birthday cruise" according to her fiance. He told her she could book this cruise as her bday gift from him (which her birthday is actually in September).

Daddy was chilling and oblivious to his background surroundings.

The girls decided to go out and dance on the dance floor in the atrium and were having a good time.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving
Virginia/North Carolina
2,902 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I highly depend on TripAdvisor reviews when going to new places. PLEASE post your experience about that breakfast place on TripAdvisor. Thanks to your review here, I won't be going there. Hopefully it will help others also.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog, www.love2cruise.org
OH
25,386 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I picked up one of these so that I could figure my way around...only never to pick it up again and look at it. This is the sister ship of the Dream and Breeze. Pshhh, I know my way around already.

Since we were getting on the ship fairly late, we were told at check-in that our rooms would be ready.

We headed to find our lovely interior rooms. I had a room on deck 8 and Kendra on deck 6 and opposite ends of the ship. One would think I planned it this way, but honestly I didn't. Kendra actually took the last available interior at the time she booked so she was stuck with what they gave her.

When we arrived, we found this surprise for the hubby! We always sail on his birthday (lucky dog) and this would be the first time he had decorations to prove it.

He also had a beach towel and a picture frame to go with the decorations.

The FUNTIMES

We decided to find some food since we were really not too satisfied with our breakfast.

We all split up and headed different directions from pizza to burritos to buffet.

I ended up with a burrito.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
CARNIVAL:
CURACAO Diving