More gratuity increases. When will it stop?

BabsinTX

Nothing is hidden unless you blindly pay money without looking at what you are being charged. Gratuity didn't increase as implied by the thread title. The cost of the package increased, which was widely discussed on other threads.

Well, it is hidden to many folks that do not read. Not defending NCL at all - just that so many never read. Then they find out that they have to pay a DSC, tax on drinks, pay for drinks, pay for shuttles, pay for......

MOST of the folks on these boards can read and know about the expenses.

- Yea, NCL did slip in an increase in the "retail" price so they could charge more gratuity.

Nothing is hidden unless you blindly pay money without looking at what you are being charged. Gratuity didn't increase as implied by the thread title. The cost of the package increased, which was widely discussed on other threads.

Unfortunately the 18% service fee has been increased by NCL to 20%.

Correct..so this is a DOUBLE increase.

Increase #1 was the rise in the cost of the package...which also results in increased gratuities paid

Increase #2 was the rise in the "mandatory" gratuity on bar and restaurant service from 18% to 20%

Wasn't that long ago when it was just 15%...and then only on bar service. Now it has been raised 33% and it covers bar service and meal service. And let's not forget that the specialty restaurant staffers are still covered by the DSC...which is no stranger to continual increases.

Just another way NCL is trying to squeeze people for a few more bucks. Just think about it for a minute, the increase from 18% to 20% coupled with the increase in price from $79 yo $89 means an extra $25 per person per 7 day cruise. We know that the workers aren't getting this money, NCL is pocketing it. That's why it's not called gratuities and instead a service charge. Do the math...

The Escape holds about 4,000 people. If 3,000 out of 4,000 have the beverage package that's $75,000 in additional revenue NCL is making per week. That's $3.9 million dollars additional just one 1 ship per year. So those 2 subtle changes mean roughly $15-20 million per year they're pocketing and it's coming out of the pockets of those that sail NCL.

I've been on NCL a couple of times and had a good time but the more they try to squeeze the more it rubs me the wrong way. That's why just a few days ago I decided to book MSC instead of NCL for my next cruise. No hidden fees and much more value for my money IMO.

NCL...just how far will you go?

And actually I read some where gratuities went up as well from 18 to 20% I think goes into effect end of the month I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An automatic 20% gratuity imposed across the board regardless of service is outrageous! What happened to the good old days when a service provider EARNED a high tip instead of just expecting the highest tip level no matter what?! This gives them NO incentive to provide a high standard of customer service since they are going to get the "caviar" of tip rates regardless. Back home I only tip 20% when the service has been exceptional. Just ok service should get closer to 15%, and horrendously bad service should get nothing. If everyone gets the same, it is no longer a reward for excellent service but just another random surcharge.

An automatic 20% gratuity imposed across the board regardless of service is outrageous! What happened to the good old days when a service provider EARNED a high tip instead of just expecting the highest tip level no matter what?! This gives them NO incentive to provide a high standard of customer service since they are going to get the "caviar" of tip rates regardless. Back home I only tip 20% when the service has been exceptional. Just ok service should get closer to 15%, and horrendously bad service should get nothing. If everyone gets the same, it is no longer a reward for excellent service but just another random surcharge.

Stop calling them gratuities! It's a service charge...meaning NCL pockets the money. If the staff was getting even 1/2 of that 20% i'd be perfectly fine with it but the so called "incentives" NCL says they give out amount to maybe 1/3 of that 20%. This increase is just another way for them to get money.

These charges are NOT gratuities, but they are service charges. They go directly to NCL, NOT to the servers or crew members. They will stop when NCL decides to stop giving away things like alcohol and dinners. Those things have to be paid for, they are not free. It is not a money grab at all, it is simply a fact of life that nothing is free.

If you don’t like it find another cruise line.

I don’t like price increases but it happens everywhere. They are a for profit cruise line not a charity cruise line. If you don’t like it then go to another line or find another place to have a vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I initially regretted paying in full for our March 2019 cruise in an Owners Suite on the Dawn, thinking I may have wasted some interest money. However, since I prepaid the DSC and booked it before the addition of the service charges for Meal and drink packages for the suites I have saved over $300 on the price of the cruise if I were to book it now. These are NOT minimal changes that NCL has made in the last year.

And no one is required to buy the drink package or take a "free" drink package as a perk. If the price of drinks detracts from your cruise, then you have what is commonly known as a drinking problem.

Hiccup, I thought it was the hole in my lip. Just kidding.

It's common practice to tip 20% on land why not at sea? I remember when I used to wait tables a lifetime ago the tax man used my sales as a guessstimate on how much in tips I really received and not reported. I also recall not receiving tips from many of foreigners as they were not accustomed to this practice. Boy did I hate working near the airport! But when we turned nightclub at 10....I'd bring in $300 a night.

Hiccup, I thought it was the hole in my lip. Just kidding.

It's common practice to tip 20% on land why not at sea? I remember when I used to wait tables a lifetime ago the tax man used my sales as a guessstimate on how much in tips I really received and not reported. I also recall not receiving tips from many of foreigners as they were not accustomed to this practice. Boy did I hate working near the airport! But when we turned nightclub at 10....I'd bring in $300 a night.

It is not common practice to tip 20% - it is common practice to tip 20% for good to excellent service. I don't know ANYONE who just automatically tips 20% no matter how bad the service is, and I certainly don't know anyone who tips 20% before they have received any service before they know how well they will be served. A tip is supposed to be a reward for good service. Better servers should get more and worse servers should get less - and really bad servers should get nothing. I give 20% to the best servers, and 15% for "ok" service. But that's not how it apparently works in this case, so the servers have no incentive to improve their customer service (or to not be bad servers!) Tips are supposed to be at the customer's discretion, NOT pre-determined by the establishment!

I’m not getting something here? Are cruise lines not allowed to increase prices??

Look at the costs of all essentials to living and say they have not increased, but a cruise line is raked over the coals for increasing some costs.

The logic used by some escapes me, IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Stop calling them gratuities! It's a service charge...meaning NCL pockets the money. If the staff was getting even 1/2 of that 20% i'd be perfectly fine with it but the so called "incentives" NCL says they give out amount to maybe 1/3 of that 20%. This increase is just another way for them to get money.

All of the money you pay goes to NCL. Unless the ship has "Princess" on the side of it, that is!

The UK has implemented two pricing schemes, both of which include gratuities and the daily service charge. One is their "All Inclusive" price that includes the promos without added service charges, and the other is a "Just Cruise" price that includes the daily service charges without any added promos. You would still have the 20% service charge on any services billed on board, though.

Maybe they are headed that way here so you don't have to get a couple of pages into a booking to see what the total cost of the cruise is instead of the base cost that you have to guess is $XXXX after adding gratuities, port taxes, etc.

It is not common practice to tip 20% - it is common practice to tip 20% for good to excellent service.

Tipping custom is different from place to place. We routinely tip 20% here in Southern California (and our servers are paid at least $10.50 an hour as well). The only time I reduce it under 20% is for bad service. The person is more likely to get 20% from me, or nothing.

I’m not getting something here? Are cruise lines not allowed to increase prices??

Look at the costs of all essentials to living and say they have not increased, but a cruise line is raked over the coals for increasing some costs.

The logic used by some escapes me, IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't agree with this I'm afraid. The increase from 18% to 20% is a little over 11% increase. Have you (or do you know anyone that's) had a 'cost of living' increase equivalent to that within the timeframe since NCL last increased these charges?).

Of course until people vote with their feet, NCL will try whatever they think they can get away with (as any business would).

I initially regretted paying in full for our March 2019 cruise in an Owners Suite on the Dawn, thinking I may have wasted some interest money. However, since I prepaid the DSC and booked it before the addition of the service charges for Meal and drink packages for the suites I have saved over $300 on the price of the cruise if I were to book it now. These are NOT minimal changes that NCL has made in the last year.

So now if suiteholders get the packages they are charged the service charges?? Hmmmm once again, it makes me sad to see the value of NCL suites being diluted IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app