Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:47 AM.
Maryland
42 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Been on 1 RCL and 5 Carnival. RCL cruise was my first. But when I have the option EVERYNIGHT of going to the Piano Bar (not a lounge lizard piano player, but a real song a long piano bar) and/or comedian it was hands down Carnival for my cruising money.
I think my RCL cruise had maybe 2 or 3 nights of a comedian and NO sing a long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Notre Dame, Indiana
584 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Domino D
As far as our experience.

RCI gets nod in: Ship and Entertainment

CCL gets nod in: Food variety and quality .

To me everything else is a toss up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app
My thoughts exactly!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
LINKS TO MY CRUISE REVIEW VIDEOS BELOW IN SIGNATURE
Royal Caribbean Freedom Of The Sea's 08-12-2012
Carnival's Dream 01-05-2013
Carnival's Ecstasy 03-02-2013
Carnival's Ecstasy 05-02-2013
Carnival's Breeze ENGAGEMENT CRUISE 03-01-2014
Carnival's Sunshine (GOLD) 08-09-2014
Royal Caribbean Freedom Of The Sea's MARRIAGE CRUISE! 03-08-2015
Carnival's Breeze St. Kitts and more 01-30-2016
Harmony Of The Sea's Western Caribbean 01-28-2017

MY CRUISE VIDEOS:
Harmony Of The Sea's REVIEW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl1d3Dcg4F8
Carnival Breeze Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmc0RH9WbjE
Carnival Sunshine (my engagement) Cruise
https://youtu.be/-uDyQS6rfIk

WRITTEN REVIEW:

Freedom of the Sea's REVIEW
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1437796

GO IRISH!!!
Notre Dame, Indiana
584 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by coevan
you actually watched an hour and 25 minutes video of someone's vacation?
LMAO!! Maybe they found it somewhat entertaining.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

MY CRUISE VIDEOS:
Carnival Breeze Video

WRITTEN REVIEW:

GO IRISH!!!
Middle Tennessee
120 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
It is like children, you can't pick a favorite! sometimes they are good and sometimes bad! I have always received a better deal for the most part on Carnival but I have had great cruises on RCI owned lines , Celebrity and Azamara.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Fantasy 9/28/90 (This one started the fever)
RCL Nordic Empress 9/11/91
Carnival Holiday 3/14/92
MS Majesty 4/6/93
Tropicale 6/18/94
Fair Princess 3/28/95
Ecstasy 1/31/97;7/8/02
Fantasy 1/28/98
Triumph 1/15/2000; 9/13/03
Celebrity Century 9/6/01
Carnival Spirit 12/10/02; 12/10/05
Carnival Destiny 2/29/04
Carnival Victory 9/11/04
Carnival Glory 11/27/04; 3/15/08
Sensation 2/17/05
Uniworld 8/18/05
HAL Oosterdam 6/10/06
Crown Princess 12/30/06
HAL Westerdam 6/19/07
HAL Maasdam 8/25/07
MS Bolero 12/26/07
Celebrity Solstice 12/28/08
Carnival Elation 8/23/2010 (the last with DW, RIP Annette 10-31-10)
HAL Noordam 4/14/2011
Carnival Fascination 12/29/11
Carnival Conquest 4/1/2012
Azamara Journey 12/12/2012
HAL Noordam 8/24/2013
Carnival Sunshine 3/16/14
Carnival Pride 12/14/14
Carnival Victory 6/22/15
Marietta Ga
1,271 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by ltcTN
It is like children...
Let's see... I love spending time with them, occasionally they say something that makes no sense, they want money from me... Son of a gun they are like kids.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CCL Vista 2/2018

Jim and Jane
CCL Fantasy 6/1992
RCI Mariner of the Seas 1/2007
NCL Jewel 1/2012
CCL Breeze 7/2013
CCL Conquest 3/2014
CCL Sunshine 12/2014
RCI Freedom of the Seas 9/2015
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6/2016
CCL Triumph 11/2016
Notre Dame, Indiana
584 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by ltcTN
It is like children, you can't pick a favorite! sometimes they are good and sometimes bad! I have always received a better deal for the most part on Carnival but I have had great cruises on RCI owned lines , Celebrity and Azamara.
I always say, any cruise is a good cruise if you make it a good cruise. It is what you make of it. If I want something more laid back I go with RCCL. If I want to "let my hair down" a bit and do a bit of partying, I go with Carnival.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

MY CRUISE VIDEOS:
Carnival Breeze Video

WRITTEN REVIEW:

GO IRISH!!!
NC
206 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Bottom line for me is not so much the cruise line as it is a specific ship and its crew.

I do find overall that Carnival crew are more social, approachable and helpful, food is generally better, staterooms are a little bigger on average, and I've actually seen/heard some extremely good entertainment/music on Carnival. I would also say Carnival has a substantially better variety of itineraries, which means more to me the more I cruise.

After 7 sailings on CCL and 4 on RCL(plus-sister-Celebrity), I have no hesitation at all in casting my preference for Carnival.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Never attribute to malice that which can be reasonably explained by stupidity.
(Hanlon's Razor)
I have sworn... eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
(T. Jefferson)
425 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
On longer trips I prefer RCI, more things to do, unusual features, better theater shows, and I prefer dining room menus.

On shorter trips I enjoy Carnival. The atmosphere can be downright raucous around the pool, and the casual food choices - like deli and panini stations - are really what I'm looking for. When I want cheap and easy, it's my choice.

The comedy shows on Carnival are the best by far.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oasis of the Seas Oct 20 2012
Explorer of the Seas Oct 27 2013
Carnival Splendor July 3 2014
Jewel of the Seas November 8 2014
Carnival Inspiration March 13 2015
Carnival Imagination September 27 2015

Pride of America May 21 2016
Norwegian Gem Oct 15 2016
Norwegian Jade Oct 26 2017
2 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I have been meaning to share my recent CCL / RCI conclusions. For context I have sailed 60 days on Carnival, and 59 days on Royal. I just recently returned from a beautiful 9 night Royal cruise, and came away preferring carnival for most if not all of my future cruises. There were a lot of small negatives to the Royal cruise, but the two top issues, which I can't get past are:

1). There is a $7.95 + 18% gratuity for ALL room service orders, other than the continental breakfast offerings
2). The Viking Lounge, the flagship bar on every Royal ship, was closed to all but Diamond members every day from 4:00 - 8:00. That's BS

I cant get past these two issues ....
1,336 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
I’ve cruised 5 Carnival ships before trying other lines. I cruised 2 RCCL ships—The Indy and the Oasis. They both were way better than Carnival. Although we always had a great time on our Carnival cruises, we were blown away by those two RCCL ships. Then we tried NCL, and fell in love with the whole Freestyle Cruising concept. Sailing on the NCL Getaway again in 6 days. Once I return from it, I was booking on the Carnival Breeze. Now, I just read a review on another thread that states they had a sewer smell in their cabin. I’ve heard this happening on Carnival’s older ships, but not the Breeze. Now I’m hesitant to book with Carnival at all, but I have reward points with Carnival that I need to use up.
So, please don’t attack someone for giving their honest opinion. What is great for you, may not be for someone else. They are only giving THEIR opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[IMG]https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=grandmarnnurse&date=1-15-2
017&text=&ship=Norwegian Getaway[/IMG]
Atlanta, GA
2,106 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by Moonarino
I do find overall that Carnival crew are more social, approachable and helpful,
This might represent a bit of the company's attitude and the overall crew.
When I did the Behind the Fun tour on the Vista two months ago, the Dance Captain told us that he had worked for a different line for several years, then came over to Carnival, and found that there was more of a "family" atmosphere amongst the crew, and they generally seemed happier. He sounded completely earnest and sincere, and we were all impressed by his candor.
food is generally better, staterooms are a little bigger on average, and I've actually seen/heard some extremely good entertainment/music on Carnival. I would also say Carnival has a substantially better variety of itineraries, which means more to me the more I cruise.
I concur with all of this.

Originally posted by grandmarnnurse
Once I return from it, I was booking on the Carnival Breeze. Now, I just read a review on another thread that states they had a sewer smell in their cabin. I’ve heard this happening on Carnival’s older ships, but not the Breeze. Now I’m hesitant to book with Carnival at all, but I have reward points with Carnival that I need to use up.
Per our resident chief engineer, chengkp, this problem is easily remedied: just pour some water down every drain in your room (don't forget the shower drains). If the smell is in the hallway, ask your cabin steward to do the same in all nearby cabins and service areas. (The usual cause is that water has evaporated or sloshed out of the U-bend in the drain pipe.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic, 10/07/2018 -- great itinerary and a new ship class to explore!
Independence of the Seas, 2/1/2018 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, 60 bands, 4 stages!
Carnival Vista, 10/1/2017 -- with 6 friends, new ship and first time to Grand Cayman! My Cruise Critic Review
Independence of the Seas, 2/2/2017 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, third year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest 10/9/2016 -- HMC (missed), Amber Cove and Grand Turk.My Cruise Critic review
Independence of the Seas, 2/04/2016 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, second-year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest, 10/12/2015 -- Nassau, HMC (missed) and Grand Turk -- Columbus Day escape
Liberty of the Seas, 1/22/2015, 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, my first time and it was amazing!
Carnival Freedom, 10/13/2014, HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau -- two faves and one meh port
Carnival Victory, 10/14/2013, HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk -- good inexpensive getaway!
Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1933799
Carnival Liberty, 9/29/2012, HMC (missed), St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk -- great 7-day itinerary! Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721966
Carnival Imagination, 1/30/2012, Key West, Cozumel -- birthday cruise and mom's anniversary cruise! Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=96886
RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, 10/25/2010, Nassau, Key West, Cococay -- first cruise and hooked on cruising!
Navarre, FL
1,462 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
After reading more posts on this thread I find that I agree with most of you. Although my experience with crew on RCI has been almost universally positive. I do agree with an earlier contributor that many RCI passengers are snobby and really look down on Carnival and their passengers. Food offerings are very subjective, but I think RCI offers more premium restaurants and encourages their use sometimes at the lessening of the MDR experience And the premium offerings have been uniformly outstanding. I enjoyed reading all of your thoughts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Navarre Bob

Carnival Diamond
Royal Caribbean Diamond Plus
126 Cruises - 2 years and 192 days (923 days) on Cruise Ships

Future Cruises:

Carnival Magic 2/3/18 7 days from Port Canaveral
RCI Liberty of the Seas 3/25/18 7 days from Galveston
RCI Serenade of the Seas 4/20/18 16 days Transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen
Cabot, AR
1,658 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
We prefer Carnival. In our opinion, Carnival has better food, better live entertainment, bigger cabins and friendlier crew. Also, the passengers on Carnival cruises seem to be more laid back and happier.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2018-- Fascination-- St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten
March 2016--Valor--Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya
March 2015-- Jewel of the Seas-- St. Thomas, St. Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada
March 2013--Victory--Nassau, Half Moon and Freeport
March 2010--Victory--Southern Carib
March 2009-- Destiny--Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios
March 2008-- Fascination-- Key West & Cozumel
March 2007-- Elation--Grand Turk, Half Moon, Nassau
March 2006-- Fascination--Key West & Calica

Save a life, adopt a pet
Charlotte, NC
10,173 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
It's subjective - I have never been attracted to a RCL cruise because, in my view, they make the ship the destination. It would not matter which ports it went to because the whole point of the vacation is being on the ship. So they pack more nice stuff onboard, and you pay a premium for that.

We choose a cruise based on the destination. Hopefully we get off the ship a lot and explore the ports. Onboard all we ask for is decent food, a good room location, and we're happy to be there. Having a smaller ship is a bonus.

Lots of other people have different views and expectations. Perhaps if you don't really like going ashore at the ports, or want the latest amenities onboard, then a newer and larger ship would be worth the premium.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08/18 Carnival Fascination | 04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America|11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday
3,819 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by riclop
RCL is much better.
It sure is!

Originally posted by Bsea2
Everyone has their own opinion on what line they like. All have pros and cons. Why are you on Carnival board if you prefer RCL?

Why not? Sometimes some early morning humor is fun when I'm bored.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Agree... That poster appears to always be more negative.... I have noticed he leaves his mark on almost every lines forum.... and his/her responses are usually short. That should tell you something!

That's what makes it fun to read, especially all the responses afterward.
3,819 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by cdorval
I have been meaning to share my recent CCL / RCI conclusions. For context I have sailed 60 days on Carnival, and 59 days on Royal. I just recently returned from a beautiful 9 night Royal cruise, and came away preferring carnival for most if not all of my future cruises. There were a lot of small negatives to the Royal cruise, but the two top issues, which I can't get past are:

1). There is a $7.95 + 18% gratuity for ALL room service orders, other than the continental breakfast offerings

Cold eggs from room service was never very appealing, but coffee and Danish is still free in the morning. I do agree the charge is a little excessive.

2). The Viking Lounge, the flagship bar on every Royal ship, was closed to all but Diamond members every day from 4:00 - 8:00. That's BS

Many bars are "closed" during certain times for events. 4-8 is not exactly the prime time for bars. On the bright side, you only need 21 more nights to attend this event, getting free drinks plus 3 extra drinks at other lounges during those hours. (Something Carnival does not do).

I cant get past these two issues ....
Don't worry, you will eventually get to use the Diamond events!
3,813 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by salty dingo
It's subjective - I have never been attracted to a RCL cruise because, in my view, they make the ship the destination. It would not matter which ports it went to because the whole point of the vacation is being on the ship. So they pack more nice stuff onboard, and you pay a premium for that.

We choose a cruise based on the destination. Hopefully we get off the ship a lot and explore the ports. Onboard all we ask for is decent food, a good room location, and we're happy to be there. Having a smaller ship is a bonus.

Lots of other people have different views and expectations. Perhaps if you don't really like going ashore at the ports, or want the latest amenities onboard, then a newer and larger ship would be worth the premium.
I have only been on Royal and Disney but from Royal perspective, I agree with this. It's all about the ship. The Caribbean cruises seem to go to the same few ports. However, for us, we cruise for the ship and love everything that it has to offer from elegance to shows to activities. Thus, for us, your point about Royal is a good thing. We don't live near a beach so getting off at the ports and going to a beach a few hours is perfect for us. Makes for a great cruise and we keep going back to the same line.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016 - Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas - Report: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345424
2012 - Disney Cruise Line Magic
2001 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
1997 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
Notre Dame, Indiana
584 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by billslowsky
On longer trips I prefer RCI, more things to do, unusual features, better theater shows, and I prefer dining room menus.

On shorter trips I enjoy Carnival. The atmosphere can be downright raucous around the pool, and the casual food choices - like deli and panini stations - are really what I'm looking for. When I want cheap and easy, it's my choice.

The comedy shows on Carnival are the best by far.
My feelings as well. On longer trips I enjoy a more laid back atmosphere so I go with RC but when I want to let the hair down a bit I go with Carnival.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

MY CRUISE VIDEOS:
Carnival Breeze Video

WRITTEN REVIEW:

GO IRISH!!!
801 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by SpeedsterX
I made a video this year comparing the 2. I came away with (IMO) listing Carnival the better cruise experience. I know it is long but you can always fast forward to what you think is important. Let me know what you think.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl1d3Dcg4F8
There was a time when you paid less for Carnival and actually got more. These days are L O N G gone.

It's worth the investment of paying more for a better experience, on a better ship with superior service and entertainment. Plus, you end up sailing with others that appreciate the same.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
This ship
That ship

Yeah, I got bored too. Thank God they cut the signatures.....