Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:14 PM.
Chattanooga, TN
7,034 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Congrats on your wedding! Loving your pictures and review-thanks for taking the time to post both. We're sailing the Vista next year. It looks like fun!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charlene

Carnivale-1990
Sovereign-2000
Enchantment-2001
Grand Princess-2004
Golden Princess-2005
Caribbean Princess-2006
Caribbean Princess-2007
Carnival Spirit Cruise Oct 2008
Holland-Westerdam Oct 2009
Carnival Dream- Sept 2010 "Best Friends Reunion Cruise"
Oasis of the Seas- Sept 2011
Carnival Conquest-Splendored Spirits 10-28-12
Oasis of the Seas- Sept 2013
Oasis of the Seas- Sept 2015
Carnival Miracle- Oct 2015
Carnival Freedom - Oct 2016
Carnival Vista - Oct 2017
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by cruzkitty
Congrats on your wedding! Loving your pictures and review-thanks for taking the time to post both. We're sailing the Vista next year. It looks like fun!
I appreciate that! Thank you for following along- it's so fun to know that other cruisers enjoy the review.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:
Carnival Horizon: 3/2019- Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Carnival Breeze: 11/2019- Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Costa Maya

Carnival Panorama: 10/2020- Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

Past:
Ports: Nassau (x4), Cozumel (x2), Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Belize, Isla Roatan Honduras, Key West, CoCo Cay, Freeport, Great Stirrup Cay, Labadee, Falmouth, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk

Ships:

Carnival: Fascination- 2007, Fantasy- 2008, Destiny- 2009, Liberty- 2012
RCI Enchantment- 2015 Review!
NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
RCI Independence- 2016 Review!
Carnival Liberty 2017 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Sunday, November 5th, Sea Day:

My husband woke up early to head to the gym at 7:45am, but he quickly returned saying that the gym was packed and no machines or benches were open. So we got ready for the day and went to Blue Iguana for breakfast. My husband discovered his love of Blue Iguana on the Liberty cruise we took in April 2017, so he was very excited to have his first of many breakfast burritos on this trip. I decided to branch out and try my first-ever huevos rancheros. Oh wow had I been missing out! As previously noted, I can’t do spicy food, but this was well-balanced and not very spicy. It was so super delicious, and you’ll start to see a pattern of our breakfast choices throughout the review. You also apparently won't see any pictures of breakfast because I was always just so hungry, heh oops.

Morning Balcony Shot:Quick note, in room 2305 there are no lifeboats above the balcony, which I planned on purpose. It really helped open up our view, even though you can see one a few rooms over.

Another morning view:

We previously had signed up for the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle and received our “tickets” to the event in our room on embarkation day. The event was scheduled for 9am on the first sea day, which I thought was a poorly picked time, as most people are either sleeping or just getting up for breakfast. Because I had been pushing the Meet & Mingle on the Roll Call, I figured I was obligated to attend and we went to the Limelight Lounge at 8:55am. There were only two other people in the room at that time (Shoutout to Sarah and Phil!). Eventually people started coming in (15 total) and even Hugo the Entertainment Director was there. We stayed until 9:45 and actually had a very nice time meeting other people and talking about our cruising experience. Hugo gave us a few insights about the life of an Entertainment Director, and told us that he would be getting a break at the end of 2017 before heading to Europe to kick off the Horizon in April 2018. Hugo also told us that the crew really likes the IMAX because they’re on the ship for 8 months and it gives them a chance to feel like they’re back on land and doing a normal activity.

Spot the Tigerhawk

Morning Views:

We made our way to slogans trivia in the ocean plaza at 10am then walked around the lanai for a bit before settling into a lounger for about 15-20 minutes. The Red Frog Pub & Brewery was our next visit, where my husband use the self-serve beer tap to pour a beer. A quick piece of advice on using this machine: once you slide your S&S card, you have 10-15 seconds to pour then it shuts off, which meant that you can only pour about half a beer at once, since it comes out super foamy and you want to wait until the foam subsides so you can pour more. I love the concept of self-serve beer, and it was fun to try it as a novel activity, but we mostly resorted to order beer from the bar for the rest of the cruise because it was less frustration and honestly more beer and less foam. We also played one of our favorite games- Pass the Pigs: Pig Party. It's based on the classic game, but includes 4 sets of pigs and cards with pictures of poses the player needs to match to earn points (there are a lot of P's in these sentences; I blame the beer, hehe!). It's a very "Iowan" game, which is just comical to us.

PYOB Station:

Full Screen the video to see Pig Party and the PYOB station in action:
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:
Ports: Nassau (x4), Cozumel (x2), Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Belize, Isla Roatan Honduras, Key West, CoCo Cay, Freeport, Great Stirrup Cay, Labadee, Falmouth, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Holland, MI
307 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
This is already one of my favorite cruise critic reviews! Thank you for taking the time! I’ll be on the Vista in 27 days for our first cruise as a family with my husband and two toddlers, so excited!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Angie

Carnival Pride 3/21/10
Carnival Valor 9/18/11
Carnival Glory 4/28/13
Carnival Sunshine 1/12/14
NB Canada
1,284 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
So don't self pour, like that tip!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Vista - March 2018 (pics)
Carnival Glory - December 2015 (pics on Flikr)
NCL Dawn - July 2014 (pics)
Disney Dream and Magic Kingdom - March 2013
Carnival Paradise - March 5, 2012
Carnival Miracle and WDW - December 2010
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Sunday Sea Day Continued:

After finishing our beers, we went to the Serenity where I was super disappointed by the amount of chair hogs. I have never encountered chair-hogging to the intensity that I did on the Vista, which was an unfortunate amount. We did find two chairs, although they were those little yellow cabana chairs instead of a full lounger, so my tanning session wasn’t off to a strong start. We stayed for about an hour before making our way back to the Red Frog Pub & Brewery for the 2:30 pm Brewery Tour!

We were SO excited about the brewery onboard and couldn’t pass up a chance to see the inner-workings of the place. The brewmaster, Colin, is awesome and we were very delighted to meet him since he was the one that started up the brewery when the Vista first sailed in May 2016 and we’ve seen different videos interviewing him and highlighting the brewery. He gave us a lot of info about the brewery and the challenges of brewing onboard a ship.

Colin and my husband:

Setup:

The setup of the tour was about 10 people sitting between two tables, and each table had pitchers of beer on them. We also had an empty flight of glasses in front of us. As Colin explained that specific beer, we would pour some into our little glass and taste it. We tasted their four core beers and two specialties, and had plenty of samples at that. Along with my husband and myself, there were three other men at our table, and we had lots of fun throughout the tour. Lucky for me, the Java Stout wasn't a favorite at my table, so I got several extra pours of that and let the guys have my IPA servings. We saw the different tanks Colin uses during the brewing process and got a full tour of the two areas that beer visits before being tapped.

Glass Brewhouse:
Sorry for the blur, operator error after beer sampling (husband, not me
)

Holding Tanks:

'
We also got a pint glass that’s exclusive to the tour, and a certificate of completion as well as a free pint of beer during the cruise. The total cost per person was $25 and we definitely thought we got a great value with everything that was included. I’ll reiterate that we got plenty of beer and left feeling pretty good after the 1.5 hour tour/tasting. Colin said he’ll be moving to the Carnival Horizon, travelling over to Europe in February 2018 and having things ready to go for the first cruise. We have our fingers crossed that we’ll be able to see him again on the Horizon when we make it on in the not-too-distant future!

Upon returning to our room to get dressed for our next adventure, we found a $50 spa gift card from our room steward congratulating us on the wedding. I know that most anything in the spa costs more that $50, so they’re still making money off of people who might not have spent money there in the first place, but I do still think it’s a nice gesture. We changed into classy attire and headed down to the atrium for an experience that I was so thrilled to gift to my husband: the Chef’s Table!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Sunday, November 5th, 2017, continued:

We were asked to meet in the atrium around 5:30pm I believe, and we checked in with two ladies who work at the Chef’s Table. After waiting for our group to fully assemble, we were led through the dining room and into the galley. This in and of itself is really just the coolest thing. Not too many people can say they’ve stood in a cruise ship’s galley, and seeing some of the logistics that go into running a place like that is, to the fullest extent of the word, awesome. We were directed to stand around a large prep table and find our names. This was the intro/cooking demonstration part of the night, which included champagne, kalamata olives, parmesan, and some really interesting sounding yogurt pops that were actually super delicious. I don’t want to spoil the whole experience so I’ll leave some mystery!

We were then directed into the specially-built Chef’s Table room with floor to ceiling glass windows peering into the galley. The room is very exquisite and there’s so much to look at. We started with a few types of bread/crackers, then went into the spring pea soup. It was an crazy bright green color and very much tasted of both spring peas and matcha. It was good, but I couldn’t really get over the pea flavor. I liked stirring the soup with the bamboo brush though! The pork belly and shrimp, next course, was also good and one of my husband’s favorite courses.

Pork Belly:
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
We took a walk around the galley while the next course was being prepared, and saw how soups and brothers were made, the food ordering system from the dining room to the galley, and platters of lobster since it was formal night. We also got a crash course in making Warm Chocolate Melting Cakes, which really had me craving one but I knew we were in for a fancier set of desserts that night. We also saw this cool visual of how the plates should look before going out, so that waiters can make sure everyone is getting uniformity in their food.

We returned to the lamb course, which was probably my husband’s favorite of the night. I also enjoyed it, including the beets that really tasted like the dirt they were grown in, which is weird yet cool. The next course is the one that really makes my mouth water and my belly grumble. Poached sea bass with passion fruit-flavored “caviar” that’s really just molecular gastronomy at its finest. Wow this dish was flavorful and smooth and I really need another plate of it right now. It was followed up by the quail dish and although it sounds like an abnormal food choice, the flavors were fantastic. I don’t think I’d elect for quail as a course in the future, but hey why not when it’s Chef’s Table?! The last dinner course was a smoked veal, and they provided quite the show when serving it. I wasn’t a huge fan and gave my last few bites to my husband since he was loving the lamb earlier, but it was neat to try it.

Poached Bass- I need more!

Quail Dish:

Smoking Demonstration:
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Very pretty veal dish:

Dessert was the final event, and it came in multiple parts. We switched from the red or white wine service that had been flowing heavily all evening to a port dessert wine, which was my first foray into the drink. Not my new fave, but I did like trying it out. The citrus cream dessert was again another feat of food engineering, complete with elderflower “caviar” and lime "snow". Wow, it was probably the stylish dessert I’ve ever had! Until the next dessert that gave the snow/caviar dish a run for its money. The chocolate hazelnut log with basil moss looked far too fancy to eat, but it was so tasty! Of course at this point I’m incredibly stuffed and can’t even fit more water into my full belly, when they deliver special desserts to a few different people at the table, including singing Happy Birthday to me, to celebrate my birthday being a few days later. Such a cute little cake and yummy too, but I will say that the Chef’s Table desserts took the cake. Hehe puns.

Citrus Cream:

Chocolate Log:

Mini-Cake:

In sum, the Chef’s Table was an incredibly special and memorable experience and truly the best food we’ve ever had. I’m SO fortunate and happy that I was able to give this gift to my husband and to know that he wanted it so badly and loved it so much really makes the night that much better. Seeing the hard work and organized chaos that goes into preparing all of the meals on a cruise ship that feeds 4,000 guests was impressive. Talking with some of the chefs and hearing their experiences in the kitchen and with Chef’s Table was a unique moment that added to the whole night. The event didn’t feel rushed and we really felt catered to and spoiled, quite honestly. We had good wine and great company, and I would absolutely recommend this dining experience to anyone who is willing to be a little adventurous and have a culinary journey unlike any other!! We were done at 9:15pm, so I think it took about 3.5 hours, but it was so worth the time and money we put into it!

We rolled ourselves to the sports bar to watch some football and let all of the delicious food settle in our overfilled stomachs. The Havana was the next stop on our late night tour and we were so excited to walk around the outside area and see the pools lit up and look out into the dark nothingness of the ocean. The Havana seems like an awesome concept, although it is a little hard to enjoy the sun deck at 7:30pm when the sun is gone and the nights get a little chilly. The Havana bar decor is so colorful and inviting, so we stuck around to listen to music and watch people dance.

Maybe someone can fill me in on this question- When we went, the musicians were speaking Spanish to the crowd; is this how it always is? I totally loved it and we stayed for about 20 minutes dancing in our seats. I used my 6+ years of Spanish classes to understand some of the comments they were making, but I knew I was missing out on some of the jokes they were telling. We didn’t ever make it back to the Havana bar so I’m not sure if there are nights that they do speak English in between songs. After a long day of exploring the awesome things Vista has to offer, we went back to the room and crashed.

UP NEXT: Monday, November 6th, Sea Day
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by tasmith09
This is already one of my favorite cruise critic reviews! Thank you for taking the time! I’ll be on the Vista in 27 days for our first cruise as a family with my husband and two toddlers, so excited!!
Wow thank you so much for that wonderful compliment!! I hope you have an awesome cruise! So begins the addiction

Originally posted by declansdad
So don't self pour, like that tip!
Yes! It definitely was fun but when we got a glass mostly full of foam, the fun ends quickly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
United States
879 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Wow thanks for the helpful input! How much is the chefs table? Thanks

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1993 Big Red Boat Honeymoon
1994 Carnival Tropicale
1997 Carnival Fantasy
1998 RCCL Nordic Empress
2002 Grand Princess
2005 Carnival Victory
2014 Carnival Dream
2015 Carnival Paradise
2017 Carnival Glory
DFW
1,281 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Wow I really want to try the Chef’s Table now, thanks so much for that great review. Oh and I had no idea you could tour the Red Frog Pub, I can’t wait to tell my hubby. We are staying in the Havana so hopefully we won’t have to go to Serenity too much. Great review so far!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2015 Carnival Magic: Key West and the Bahamas Review Pictures
February 2016 RCL Liberty of the Seas: Western Caribbean Review Pictures
June 2017 Coral Princess: NB Voyage of the Glaciers Alaska Review Pictures
October 2017 Norwegian Dawn: Bermuda Review

Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by helene109
Wow thanks for the helpful input! How much is the chefs table? Thanks
No problem! On the Dream and Vista classes, it's $95pp, on the other classes that carry it, it's $75. There's also a 15% or 18% gratuity on top of that. I know that there are currently two menus out in the fleet, and I believe the one that I had is the newer version. I feel like I just read that they're making the new menu go fleet-wide in the next few months.

Originally posted by Beachiekeen
Wow I really want to try the Chef’s Table now, thanks so much for that great review. Oh and I had no idea you could tour the Red Frog Pub, I can’t wait to tell my hubby. We are staying in the Havana so hopefully we won’t have to go to Serenity too much. Great review so far!
I so highly recommend it! And the Brewery tour was informative, fun, and provided lots of beer! Try to go there on the first day to sign up, as some time slots filled quickly. If you don't see the sign-up on the bar, just ask a friendly bartender!
The Havana deck area will definitely be a lot more private and less full than the Serenity, I bet you won't have any problem finding a seat!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Ooops, forgot to post the Fun Times for the first two days!
The photos should be high-quality JPGs so zoom in to read clearly if needed.

As a reminder, this is all being copied over from my blog. Here's the direct link to these two Fun Times, where they appear on my screen a little larger: http://thelovelyvoyage.blogspot.com/...unday-fun.html
Fun Tip: If you use a PC, click your "Ctrl" button and "+" (plus) button to zoom in, and "Ctrl" and "-" (minus) button to zoom out.

Saturday November 4th, 2017

Sunday, November 5th, 2017

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Holland, MI
307 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by the_lovely_voyage
Wow thank you so much for that wonderful compliment!! I hope you have an awesome cruise! So begins the addiction

I should have clarified, the addiction started 8 years and 4 cruises ago, but after getting pregnant on our last cruise 4 years ago, we took a break and had a couple babies ❤️ this will be our 5th, but first with my kiddos.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Angie

Carnival Pride 3/21/10
Carnival Valor 9/18/11
Carnival Glory 4/28/13
Carnival Sunshine 1/12/14
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by tasmith09
I should have clarified, the addiction started 8 years and 4 cruises ago, but after getting pregnant on our last cruise 4 years ago, we took a break and had a couple babies ❤️ this will be our 5th, but first with my kiddos.

Aww very fun! I suppose this starts their love of cruising then!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Iowa
478 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
While sorting through my pictures, I realized that I also have pictures of all of the MDR menus. If anyone is interested, I can post those as well!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GO HAWKS!

Upcoming:

Past:

Ships:

NCL Sky- 2015 Review!
Carnival Vista- 2017
Review!
Carnival Magic- 2018
Merritt Island, FL
10,499 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by the_lovely_voyage
While sorting through my pictures, I realized that I also have pictures of all of the MDR menus. If anyone is interested, I can post those as well!
Please do
We have late dining but plan to eat at the steakhouse at least once, this will help us plan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

If you want to be happy, be.
Chattanooga, TN
7,034 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Yes! I would love to see those Menus and TYIA!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charlene

Carnivale-1990
Sovereign-2000
Enchantment-2001
Grand Princess-2004
Golden Princess-2005
Caribbean Princess-2006
Caribbean Princess-2007
Carnival Spirit Cruise Oct 2008
Holland-Westerdam Oct 2009
Carnival Dream- Sept 2010 "Best Friends Reunion Cruise"
Oasis of the Seas- Sept 2011
Carnival Conquest-Splendored Spirits 10-28-12
Oasis of the Seas- Sept 2013
Oasis of the Seas- Sept 2015
Carnival Miracle- Oct 2015
Carnival Freedom - Oct 2016
Carnival Vista - Oct 2017
Oregon
269 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
We have chef's table booked on our upcoming cruise. I sure hope they do not do it on elegant night however! Hoping for the new menu as we did it two years ago.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature