BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:47 AM.
269 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
The Real ID Act requires states to collect certain information to prove who you are to issue a driver's license. Some large blue states have been exempted for a decade now, but that ship is docking soon. For travel with kids a government issued birth certificate is generally enough, so the original poster has no worries.

For air travel (a possibility for cruise passengers) a Real ID will soon be the ONLY acceptable proof of identify. Many state driver's licenses comply. The gold standard is a passport, followed by a passport card (which have little use outside a few countries), then a Global Entry card. Since most kids don't have a driver's license, a passport is the simplest way to travel. It will give peace of mind if an unexpected event arises and you need alternative transportation.

Have fun on your cruise!
Tennessee GBO!!!
1,364 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Only problem that could happen, if an emergency occurs that you have to fly back. PASSPORTS are a must.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2005 Celebration, 2006 Glory, 2007 Legend, 2007 Glory, 2007 Sensation, 2008 Liberty, 2008 Glory, 2010 Dream, 2011 Freedom, 2011 Freedom, 2011 Legend, 2012 Dream, 2012 Dream, 2013 Conquest, 2013 Dream, 2013 Miracle, 2014 Dream, 2014 Legend, 2014 Liberty, 2015 Sunshine, 2015 Valor, 2015 Sunshine (booked) 2016 Valor (booked)
Enosburg Falls, VT
18,338 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by lcpagejr
Passports are not needed for close looped cruises embarking and ending at a same us port.... No air travel is involved folks...so lets not confuse the posters any further. He asked a question and we provided a answer. As for the Enhanced License requirement (for air travel ID)....I think every state has a waiver until the end of this year (who haven't yet fully complied)...meaning regular drivers licenses are accepted for ID for flights out of a state which has enacted the enhanced License
And let's not confuse the issue even further by using inexact terms like "Enhanced License". What you are talking about are licenses that are compliant with the REAL ID act. An Enhanced Drivers License is a different animal completely that acts as a stand alone document to prove citizenship and ID, similar to a passport card, and is only issued by 5 states. A drivers license that is REAL ID compliant does not do this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888
CCL Glory W. Caribbean November 2017 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=600224

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
17 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
I just talked to Carnival about this and they said if you are married and your name is different make sure to bring you marriage certificate as well. We are planning on travel just with our birth certificates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Maryland
1,434 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
My family just had an emergency debarkation in Nassau last week. We all had passports, so it was no issue. Carnival handled everything immigration related for us. While we were waiting for the port agent to pick us up, we talked a bit with guest services about what would have happened had we not had passports. Turns out, not much. There is a US Embassy in Nassau. We would have had to apply for emergency passports which would have been issued immediately. The delays occur when there is no embassy, or it is closed for holiday, etc.

I would be comfortable traveling to the Bahamas with just a BC.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

My cruise blog. Links to photos, Cruise Critic Member Reviews and Cruise Critic photo reviews
Colorado
4,383 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by volmoma
Only problem that could happen, if an emergency occurs that you have to fly back. PASSPORTS are a must.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are sailing Jan. 13 for 14 days. We wives dad is very ill with heart disease. We would never leave U.S. soil without a passport, stuff happens. It has been said umpteen times "it's a closed end loop", until it's not.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnivale 82
Carla C 84
Big Red Boat 94
Imagination 96
Holiday 98
Elation 99
Victory 12/01
Destiny 12/15/02
Valor 12/19/04
Miracle 12/31/06
Victory 12/30/07
NCL Star 9/10/2011
Dream 01/03/2016 B2B 21 days
Magic 01/07/2017 B2B 14 days
Miracle 01/13/2018 Transcanal 14 days
3,815 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Moviela
The Real ID Act requires states to collect certain information to prove who you are to issue a driver's license. Some large blue states have been exempted for a decade now, but that ship is docking soon. For travel with kids a government issued birth certificate is generally enough, so the original poster has no worries.

For air travel (a possibility for cruise passengers) a Real ID will soon be the ONLY acceptable proof of identify. Many state driver's licenses comply. The gold standard is a passport, followed by a passport card (which have little use outside a few countries), then a Global Entry card. Since most kids don't have a driver's license, a passport is the simplest way to travel. It will give peace of mind if an unexpected event arises and you need alternative transportation.

Have fun on your cruise!
Wow, new level of confusion. The passport card is accepted for land or sea in 29 different countries which is a little more than a few. Global Entry is only good for entering the US, and not other countries. So the Global Entry is only good for 1 country. However, if you have Global Entry, you also have a passport book so that's irrelevant. If the book is expired, than you GE card is worthless also. So although you can use the GE to fly as ID, it is irrelevant to the overall discussion of can I cruise without a passport? The answer is YES you can, and bring a BC with you that is government issued.
Charlotte, NC
10,174 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Havingfun2010
Global Entry is only good for entering the US, and not other countries. So the Global Entry is only good for 1 country. However, if you have Global Entry, you also have a passport book so that's irrelevant.
I agree Global Entry is irrelevant for a cruise, unless you end up flying back to the USA. It lets you get from the plane and out the airport door faster, that's all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08/18 Carnival Fascination | 04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America|11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday
Maryland
1,434 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by salty dingo
I agree Global Entry is irrelevant for a cruise, unless you end up flying back to the USA. It lets you get from the plane and out the airport door faster, that's all.

There are Global Entry kiosks in some Port of Miami and Port Everglades terminals.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

My cruise blog. Links to photos, Cruise Critic Member Reviews and Cruise Critic photo reviews