BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:05 AM.
90 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
What excursions would you recommend? Do you book with Carnival or independent tour companies?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trying something different for Christmas 2018 ....
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 12/23/2018 aboard the Carnival Horizon! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

December 2, 2017 - Western Caribbean Cruise

November 15, 2014 - Caribbean Birthday Cruise aboard the Carnival Paradise

November 24, 2013 - Thanksgiving Cruise to the Bahamas
21,701 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
If not with the ship, we sometimes join excursions organized on our Roll Call to avail on group discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Virginia/North Carolina
2,894 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
In Grand Caymen we are booked with ShoreExcursioneer, we're doing their "Grand Caymen Hell, Beach Escape & Shopping Excursion"
In Cozumel it's Mr Sanchos'
In Ocho Rios we're currently talking with Marvyns Paradise Tours to go to Bob Marley's Nine Mile, Dunns River Falls, shopping touring, and lunch at Scotchies. A few people had talked about Liberty Tours but after talking with them they're about $100 more for the exact same tours as other places. Chris Linton has been very helpful as well, just couldn't beat the price of Marvyn.

We never book excursions through Carnival because on your own it's much cheaper, less crowded and you see/do more things. You also do what YOU want to do. The only time I'll book any excursion through Carnival is a cabana in Half Moon Cay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog, www.love2cruise.org
Tennessee
140 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
For Ocho Rios google Courtney Taylor Tours. You will not be disappointed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Celebration 10-23-2004
Carnival Fantasy 9-19-2009
Carnival Triumph 10-11-2010
Carnival Elation 7-21-2011
Carnival Destiny 1-14-2012
Carnival Elation 6-30-2012
Carnival Dream 10-6-2012
Carnival Sensation 1-17-2013
Carnival Sensation 1-20-2013
Carnival Conquest 10-13-2013
Carnival Sunshine 8-23-2014
Carnival Dream 10-12-2014
Carnival Fascination 2-5-2015
Carnival Valor 1-30-2016
Carnival Vista 2-5-2017
Carnival Fantasy 6-12-2017
Carnival Sunshine 9-16-2017
Carnival Fantasy 1-18-2018
Carnival Conquest 8-6-2018

1,786 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Ocho Rios we did the Magic Mountain/Dunn's river falls excursion and it was ok, but I would not do it again.

Cozumel: We love the Fury Catamaran. It is pricey, but we have done it three times and loved it every time.

Grand Cayman: The perfect port to save some money. Just get off the boat and walk down to Don Foster's for Scuba or Snorkeling from the shore. No Excursion needed here.
90 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by easyboy
If not with the ship, we sometimes join excursions organized on our Roll Call to avail on group discounts.

I didn't think about checking the Roll Call. Thanks for the suggestion.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 12/23/2018 aboard the Carnival Horizon! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

90 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by teknoge3k
In Grand Caymen we are booked with ShoreExcursioneer, we're doing their "Grand Caymen Hell, Beach Escape & Shopping Excursion"
In Cozumel it's Mr Sanchos'
In Ocho Rios we're currently talking with Marvyns Paradise Tours to go to Bob Marley's Nine Mile, Dunns River Falls, shopping touring, and lunch at Scotchies. A few people had talked about Liberty Tours but after talking with them they're about $100 more for the exact same tours as other places. Chris Linton has been very helpful as well, just couldn't beat the price of Marvyn.

We never book excursions through Carnival because on your own it's much cheaper, less crowded and you see/do more things. You also do what YOU want to do. The only time I'll book any excursion through Carnival is a cabana in Half Moon Cay.
Thanks for the details!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

90 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by Titan_Cruiser
For Ocho Rios google Courtney Taylor Tours. You will not be disappointed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

90 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by asalligo
Ocho Rios we did the Magic Mountain/Dunn's river falls excursion and it was ok, but I would not do it again.

Cozumel: We love the Fury Catamaran. It is pricey, but we have done it three times and loved it every time.

Grand Cayman: The perfect port to save some money. Just get off the boat and walk down to Don Foster's for Scuba or Snorkeling from the shore. No Excursion needed here.
Thanks for your honesty.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

357 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Carnival put us in Ocho Rios as a substitute port because of a hurricane, obviously we had nothing planned and just wandered towards the downtown area.

We happened across a bar called "Under the Stairs" which consisted of some tables sitting on a shaded patio with an under-the-stair utility room serving Red-Stripe beers through the doorway. Lunch was some guy cooking jerk chicken on a Weber in the street and the restroom was at the burger king. Bought some peanuts while there from some Rasta-looking guy who roasted them in a wagon he pulled around.

All-in-all a delightful day and one of our best memories of cruising. I find the more I cruise the less I use excursions. Serendipitous adventures are more fun and meaningful for us.

On a cruise later this month, we're going to find a taxi to take us to the Shipwreck Bar in St. Kitts. that's about we got planned for that island....
262 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
In Ocho Rios we did Dunn River Falls with lunch, had a great time and grateful we booked with the ship because there was a HUGE downpour that quickly flooded some streets and the roads were packed and slow (this was in May). We also booked the underground caves in Cozumel (also through the ship) and were the LAST group back, if anyone had missed that ferry back to the dock they would have completely missed the ship. I have booked independent tours as well as ship tours, depends on what I want to do and if there is a small (even slight) possibility that there might be delays of some kind. I do have to say that my hubby was really, really worried in Cozumel because he did not go with myself and my daughter (he is claustrophobic) and went snorkeling with a group independently and was already back on the ship! The caves were great and my daughter said she felt like Indiana Jones!
Charlotte, NC
11,120 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
In Grand Cayman, we once took a taxi to about the middle of the seven mile beach and walked slowly back to the tender, soaking up the ambience as we went. Nice cheap day on the beach.

In Cozumel, Nachi Cocum resort is a great all-inclusive day of relaxing under a palapa, but just walking around town is free and very enjoyable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08/18 Carnival Fascination | 04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America | 11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday
Flowery Branch, GA
1,058 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Ocho Rios is far from our favorite port, actually, it's at the bottom of the list. That being said, we had fun doing Dunns River Falls climb, sky chairs to the top of the mountain and bob sled down. We've done Nachi Cocum in Cozumel 3 times and loved it. However, on this upcoming cruise, we're going to try Mr. Sanchos. We've never done anything in Grand Cayman except walked around, shopped, ate and drank.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Magic 2/2018 Booked, Fantasy 7/2015, Glory 1/2015, Freedom 2/2014, Liberty 2/2013, Valor 4/2012, Fantasy 2/2011, Legend 3/2010
Triumph 4/2009, Celebration 5/2007

Save
Save
Save
new york
360 Posts
Joined May 2011
I did this this twice out of New Orleans, that's how much I loved it. Only difference we went to Montego Bay

In Ochos I think you can do a day at Sunset Beach it was $65 and it was unlimited food and drinks

Cozumel we drove around the island stopping at many stops and shops, ending the tour at a tequila factory taking different shots of tequila. I got a very good tan and got to swim in different parts of the ocean.

Cayman Island we went the sandbar and swam with the stingrays, that was beautiful being out in the middle of the ocean. After swimming with the stingrays we stopped at another small island on the other side of caymans. There we had some great food and did some water sports and tanning.

That was one of my favorite cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sensation......8/2010 (Port Canaveral) Nassau Bahamas

Norwegian Gem....1/2011 (New York)Weekend Cruise

Carnival Miracle .....8/2011 (New York) Grand Turk, St. Thomas. San Juan

Norwegian Jewel......1/2012 (New York) Weekend Cruise

Carnival Conquest.....8/19/2012 (New Orleans) Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Mexico

Norwegian Gem....1/15/2013 (New York) Weekend Cruise

Norwegian Breakaway....2/13/2015 (New York) Weekend Cruise

Carnival Dream.....8/16/2015 (New Orleans) Jamaica, Cayman Island, Mexico

Carnival Pride....2/14/2016(Baltimore) Nassau, Freeport
90 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by LostPuppy

We happened across a bar called "Under the Stairs" which consisted of some tables sitting on a shaded patio with an under-the-stair utility room serving Red-Stripe beers through the doorway. Lunch was some guy cooking jerk chicken on a Weber in the street and the restroom was at the burger king. Bought some peanuts while there from some Rasta-looking guy who roasted them in a wagon he pulled around.

All-in-all a delightful day and one of our best memories of cruising. I find the more I cruise the less I use excursions. Serendipitous adventures are more fun and meaningful for us.
Thanks for the tip. I think there may be too many of us for this type of adventure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

90 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by calbred01
We also booked the underground caves in Cozumel (also through the ship) and were the LAST group back, if anyone had missed that ferry back to the dock they would have completely missed the ship. I do have to say that my hubby was really, really worried in Cozumel because he did not go with myself and my daughter (he is claustrophobic) and went snorkeling with a group independently and was already back on the ship! The caves were great and my daughter said she felt like Indiana Jones!
Underground caves sound fun ....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

North Carolina
770 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
We recently went to Ocho Rios and in a recommendation went to Paradise Beach Bar. Small local bar, private beach, really lovely location. Folks were really nice. We simply took a cab but it took a minute to find once who knew what we were talking about. It's a local place but unless it's Sunday, it's not busy. It's adjacent to an adults only resort.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Inspiration 10/2006
Carnival Valor 4/2009
Carnival Dream 10/2010
Carnival Legend 10/2011
Carnival Freedom 10/2012
Carnival Liberty 05/2013
Carnival Valor 10/2013
Carnival Fascination 02/2014
Carnival Sunshine 09/2014
Carnival Freedom 1/2015
Carnival Valor 10/2015
Carnival Glory 2/2016
Carnival Conquest 9/2016
Carnival Triumph 2/2017
Carnival Splendor 9/2017

UPCOMING: Carnival Horizon 4/2018
Twin Citties
210 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
We'll be in these 3 ports in March. For Ocho Rios we were thinking of doing the falls and Mystic Mountain on our own by just grabbing a cab.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Vista Mar 4-18, 2018 B2B

Carnival Vista Feb 2017.
Carnival Breeze Feb 2016.
Carnival Breeze Feb 2015
Carnival Liberty Mar 2014
Carnival Freedom Feb 2013
Carnival Freedom Feb 2012
RCI Freedom of the Seas Mar 2011
Carnival Liberty Feb 2010
90 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by salty dingo

In Cozumel, Nachi Cocum resort is a great all-inclusive day of relaxing under a palapa, but just walking around town is free and very enjoyable.
Is this all-inclusive a family friendly atmosphere? We will have several children with us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Flowery Branch, GA
1,058 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Yes, though I haven't seen a lot of children there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Magic 2/2018 Booked, Fantasy 7/2015, Glory 1/2015, Freedom 2/2014, Liberty 2/2013, Valor 4/2012, Fantasy 2/2011, Legend 3/2010
Triumph 4/2009, Celebration 5/2007

Save
Save
Save