Windsurf-Rocky?

flannbarr

We just returned from a Carnival Liberty cruise. We may win a cruise on the Windstar Wind Surf in March. My DW gets nauseated very easily. We are concerned about how rocky it will be on the Wind Surf. It is about 1/8 the tonnage of the ship we were just on. Please share your thoughts with me.

I've been on 6 or 7 Windstar cruises, 2 on the Windsurf, and never been ill despite a strong tendency to motion sickness. That being said, however, some of the risk depends on the itinerary. We were on the Seadream (an even smaller ship) last spring in the Yucatan area of Mexico from Cancun to Belize. The wind was blowing the "wrong way" and since we were cruising a coast and not an island chain where the ship could hide behind the islands half the boat was ill, despite several route changes by the captain. Joanne

We have been on both the Star and Spirit and never had any problems with the motion of the ship. One time, when trying to anchor off Portifino the sea was so rough that they could not set anchor. We could not even feel the motion of the ship. We have also cruised on one Celebrity ship and felt the motion much more than on the Star or Spirit.

Based on this, you should not have a problem.

Well i'm going to be more of a naysayer here, I sail, I've grown up sailing, I've lived aboard and my brother has a nice 50 foot boat. Most people on a smaller boat do feel the movement more. I don't very often get sick but last year on our Windsurf holiday cruise both my daughter and i were a little woozy now and then. I've taken several cruises on larger ships and never got sick, even on one really rough passage to bermuda. The Windsurf is large enough that it takes a good blow to get it rocking but it does rock some.

I also think the stablizer technology is not as up to date on the Windsurf as it is on the brand new ships. But again for the most part it was fine. If you go with a patch before you get on the ship I don't think you'll have much of a problem.

Susan

Archived