Carnival ship aground off San Juan Harbor?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:40 PM.
Toronto, Canada
4,503 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Flip2cruise
Yeah, someone has some explaining to do.
Sounds crazy that an anchor can just "accidentally" fall. Will be interesting to hear the actual account.

This is a post from someone else on FB.

I’m on the ship also and I believe the captain said that the anchor accidentally came down as we were off the shore. He didn’t say we forgot to pull it up or that it snapped and we can’t find it.
I recall reading about a passenger on a HAL ship who was charged with releasing an anchor. He had apparently wandered into a restricted area and decided to play with some controls. Alcohol was apparently involved.
Buckeye State
5,832 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by broberts
I recall reading about a passenger on a HAL ship who was charged with releasing an anchor. He had apparently wandered into a restricted area and decided to play with some controls. Alcohol was apparently involved.

I remember that, this is the cc article on that guy

he consumed three or four glasses of wine, a wine glass full of vodka, five single martinis, four double martinis, one-quarter of a two-liter bottle of Grey Goose vodka (that he stole from a closed bar) and an Ambien

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4251
63 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Aviator of the Seas
How the heck does that happen? Isn't there a safety detent or something?

In the small boat world this actually happened more then you think. The windless can slip and if you don’t have the safety wire on it you can make a mess out of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
N. California
684 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/...ancla-2404779/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future:
2018 – RCCL Symphony (Caribbean)

2018 – Carnival Splendor (Mexican Riviera)
2019 – RCCL Adventure (Fall Foliage – NJ to Quebec)
2019 – Carnival Splendor (Mexican Riviera)

Past:
2004 – HAL Zuiderdam (Caribbean)
2006 – Carnival Triumph (Caribbean)
2007 – Costa Fortuna (Europe)
2008 – HAL Zuiderdam (Caribbean)
2008 – Carnival Spirit (Mexican Riviera)
2009 – Carnival Spirit (Alaska)
2010 – HAL Oosterdam (Mexican Riviera)
2011 – Carnival Valor (Caribbean)
2011 – Carnival Spirit (Mexican Riviera)
2012 – Carnival Breeze (Europe)
2012 – Carnival Liberty (Caribbean)
2013 – Carnival Breeze (Caribbean)
2013 – Carnival Inspiration (Mexican Riviera)
2013 – Carnival Miracle (Mexican Riviera)
2014 – HAL Eurodam (Caribbean)
2014 – Carnival Breeze (Caribbean)
2015 – HAL Noordam (Caribbean)
2015 – Crown Princess (Mexican Riviera)
2016 – RCCL Allure (Caribbean)
2016 – Carnival Vista (Europe)
2017 – RCCL Harmony (Caribbean)
2017 – HAL Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska)
2017 – HAL Nieuw Amsterdam (Pacific Coastal)

2018 – Carnival Glory (Caribbean)
Maine or at sea
13,952 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
When a ship prepares to go into restricted waters (like into port), or get underway, the anchors are prepped for instant use in case of emergency, so all of the "safety devices" are removed, and the anchors are holding just on their brake bands. Sometimes, if the bands are not tightened enough, severe vibrations, like when a ship gets going too fast in shallow water (the propeller wake bounces off the bottom and vibrates the ship), the windlass brake band can slip, and the anchor fall under its weight to the sea bed. It's embarrassing, but it does happen.
Tampa
450 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by chengkp75
When a ship prepares to go into restricted waters (like into port), or get underway, the anchors are prepped for instant use in case of emergency, so all of the "safety devices" are removed, and the anchors are holding just on their brake bands. Sometimes, if the bands are not tightened enough, severe vibrations, like when a ship gets going too fast in shallow water (the propeller wake bounces off the bottom and vibrates the ship), the windlass brake band can slip, and the anchor fall under its weight to the sea bed. It's embarrassing, but it does happen.
Thanks the explanation! Makes a lot of sense now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/19 CCL Victory - "Invicta Ocean Voyage" Full Ship Charter - Miami, Nassau
11/18 CCL Victory - Miami, Nassau
10/18 NCL Sun - Miami, Great Stirrup Cay, Cuba, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya
9/18 MSC Seaside - Miami, Philipsburg, San Juan, Nassau
6/18 NCL Bliss - Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria BC
2/18 CCL Victory - "Invicta Ocean Voyage" Full Ship Charter - Miami, Nassau
2/18 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay

6/17 MSC Divina - Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Nassau
4/17 NCL Pride of America - Honolulu, Kauai, Maui, Hilo, Kona

2/17 CCL Victory - "Invicta Ocean Voyage" Full Ship Charter - Miami, Nassau
11/16 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
2/16 NCL Sky - Miami, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
11/15 NCL Star - Tampa, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya
2/15 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
2/14 RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
1/13 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
11/12 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1,544 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Thank you for the explanation. Very interesting and makes a lot of sense.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
AoS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Freedom of the Seas SoCa & Quasi-Repositioning, Oct. 20-28, 2018
Adventure of the Seas, May 20, 2017
Rome, Florence and Tuscany land vacation, Sept. 2016
Royal Princess, Copenhagen to New York, Sept. 2014
Oasis of the Seas Back to Back, September 15 - 29, 2012
Japan land vacation - Tokyo/Yokohama, Kyoto, Hiroshima - September 2011
Adventure of the Seas, Barcelona to San Juan, November 28 - December 12, 2010
Adventure of the Seas, Aruba Route, August 9, 2009
Jewel of the Seas, Canada/New England, October 2008
Adventure of the Seas, Barbados Route, August 2007
Adventure of the Seas, Aruba Route, August 2006
Tallahassee , FL
15,253 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Chengkp75 to the rescue as always!! Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Inspiration, January 2006
Carnival Sensation, February 2007
Carnival
Carnival Legend, May 2009
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012
Carnival Valor,January, 2016
Carnival,Vista,January,2017
RCCL, Oasis of the Seas,January 2018
GA
5,410 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Thank you for the explanation. Very interesting and makes a lot of sense.
Indeed, very good info. I have heard before that a ship cannot go into port with a missing anchor, and given this explanation... wondering if this will create issues until the anchor is replaced?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Mexico
2,407 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
The ship has two anchors, just for this reason. There is another one onboard already. Learned this on the Behind the Fun tour.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our cruises: https://rnrtackett.smugmug.com/Cruises
Our full photo site: https://rnrtackett.smugmug.com/
All my videos: https://vimeo.com/user466791

Next cruise: Carnival VISTA - Apr 2019
Last cruise: Carnival Glory - May 2018: https://rnrtackett.smugmug.com/Cruis...Carnival-Glory
All Previous: Carnival Freedom (2x), Magic (2x), Liberty, Glory, Legend Alaska, Breeze.
Maine or at sea
13,952 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
It sounds like their anchor likely got fouled on the bottom, and couldn't be raised. They will then let out all the chain, and where the end link of the chain is fastened to the ship, there is a pin that can be driven out to let the chain free.

A ship can enter port with one anchor missing, but depending on the port, and country, they may need to make notifications and meet various requirements. For a US port, they will need to notify the USCG, but I don't recall their being any restrictions, like having additional tugs, for losing an anchor.

Most likely the company has a spare anchor for each class of ship, if the anchors are significantly different, and anchor chain is fairly easy to obtain. Probably a month or so to get everything staged to turn around port, and line up barges and cranes for installation.
Not close enough to a port :(
341 Posts
Joined May 2006
Good info! Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Counting down until....
the MAGIC begins!! - Carnival Magic- 8/25/18
Give me LIBERTY or give me...uh...nvm- Carnival Liberty- 12/16/18
We BLISSfully experience a different line- NCL Bliss- 7/13/19
These ships have sailed:
Carnival Valor, Bittersweet...1st cruise since Mom passed-8/15/2015
Carnival Glory, 20th Anniversary, 5/15/2011- Mom's 1st trip out of US. She died 8/16/11.
RCCL Adventure of the Seas, July 2007
Carnival Valor,15th Anniversary, 6/18/2006
Not close enough to a port :(
341 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by jayowl
someone didn’t want to leave puerto rico. Or someone said i’m running late hold the boat!

Sent from my iphone using forums
:d:d
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Counting down until....
the MAGIC begins!! - Carnival Magic- 8/25/18
Give me LIBERTY or give me...uh...nvm- Carnival Liberty- 12/16/18
We BLISSfully experience a different line- NCL Bliss- 7/13/19
These ships have sailed:
Carnival Valor, Bittersweet...1st cruise since Mom passed-8/15/2015
Carnival Glory, 20th Anniversary, 5/15/2011- Mom's 1st trip out of US. She died 8/16/11.
RCCL Adventure of the Seas, July 2007
Carnival Valor,15th Anniversary, 6/18/2006
MA/NH
1,813 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
It sounds like their anchor likely got fouled on the bottom, and couldn't be raised. They will then let out all the chain, and where the end link of the chain is fastened to the ship, there is a pin that can be driven out to let the chain free.

A ship can enter port with one anchor missing, but depending on the port, and country, they may need to make notifications and meet various requirements. For a US port, they will need to notify the USCG, but I don't recall their being any restrictions, like having additional tugs, for losing an anchor.

Most likely the company has a spare anchor for each class of ship, if the anchors are significantly different, and anchor chain is fairly easy to obtain. Probably a month or so to get everything staged to turn around port, and line up barges and cranes for installation.
Non sequitor, but I'm curious on how much chain a ship of that size holds.

And I can imagine that a stateroom near the chain locker must be noisy when they drop an anchor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
LEGEND 11/29/03, GLORY 3/5/05, LEGEND 3/1/06, LIBERTY 3/3/07, MIRACLE 2/27/08 CC "3 Saints And a Miracle", FREEDOM 2/28/09 CC "8-Days of Freedom" with Samatha Brown & The Travel Channel, DREAM 2/27/10 "Caribbean Dreamin' ", GLORY 2/27/11 Co-Hosting "Fun 'N' Glory" CC Cruise and John Heald's Blogger Cruise, Official CC Cruise Host "MIRACLE,3 Saints and a Miracle, Part Deux" 3/9/12, BREEZE 3/2/13 "The Penguin goes Platinum",VALOR 3/16/14 "Sister's & Sib's",CONQUEST 2/21/15 "8-Days of Freedom...err Conquest","GLORY,More Fun 'N' Glory" 3/5/16, MAGIC,3/4/17. SUNSHINE,3/3/18
Maine or at sea
13,952 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by campdaan
Non sequitor, but I'm curious on how much chain a ship of that size holds.

And I can imagine that a stateroom near the chain locker must be noisy when they drop an anchor.
Anchor chain is measured in "shots" (each shot being 15 fathoms, or 90 feet). I would say the typical cruise ship carries 12 shots on each anchor (1080 feet). Yes, anchoring and maneuvering with the thrusters can get noisy for lower deck, forward cabins, which is why the ones really close to the chain lockers are crew cabins.
Atlanta, GA
2,499 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
I know from a recent Carnival BtF Tour that some ships carry a spare anchor on the bow near the ship's bell, but it would require a heavy-duty crane at a port to haul it up. It was either on the Vista or the Conquest where it was pointed out to us; if the latter, then Glory should also have one available.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic, 10/07/2018 -- great itinerary and a new ship class to explore!
Independence of the Seas, 2/1/2018 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, 60 bands, 4 stages!
Carnival Vista, 10/1/2017 -- with 6 friends, new ship and first time to Grand Cayman! My Cruise Critic Review
Independence of the Seas, 2/2/2017 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, third year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest 10/9/2016 -- HMC (missed), Amber Cove and Grand Turk.My Cruise Critic review
Independence of the Seas, 2/04/2016 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, second-year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest, 10/12/2015 -- Nassau, HMC (missed) and Grand Turk -- Columbus Day escape
Liberty of the Seas, 1/22/2015, 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, my first time and it was amazing!
Carnival Freedom, 10/13/2014, HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau -- two faves and one meh port
Carnival Victory, 10/14/2013, HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk -- good inexpensive getaway!
Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1933799
Carnival Liberty, 9/29/2012, HMC (missed), St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk -- great 7-day itinerary! Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721966
Carnival Imagination, 1/30/2012, Key West, Cozumel -- birthday cruise and mom's anniversary cruise! Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=96886
RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, 10/25/2010, Nassau, Key West, Cococay -- first cruise and hooked on cruising!
Charlotte, NC
11,120 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
How the heck does that happen? Isn't there a safety detent or something?
Usually, weight of chain holds ship, and anchor just holds chain. To retrieve anchor, ship rides up on top of it and reels it in. If it got stuck in a reef, it may be problem, but ships have spare anchor in case one is lost.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08/18 Carnival Fascination | 04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America | 11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday