Carnival ship aground off San Juan Harbor?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:31 PM.
Toronto, Canada
4,354 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Pellaz
I know from a recent Carnival BtF Tour that some ships carry a spare anchor on the bow near the ship's bell, but it would require a heavy-duty crane at a port to haul it up. It was either on the Vista or the Conquest where it was pointed out to us; if the latter, then Glory should also have one available.
Is there spare chain?
Texas Gulf Coast
3,031 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
The Triumph lost and anchor in Galveston one NYE cruise. We sailed late because of that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras1976 - Magic, Liberty, Triumph and Freedom in 2016, thirty-three others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing to Canada and the Caribbean.
One hand on the starboard rail...
Texas Gulf Coast
3,031 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by BullGator02
Getting on this boat Saturday. I can bring my anchor off my bay boat.
I’ll bring one too. It might hold, but that’d be a fluke...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras1976 - Magic, Liberty, Triumph and Freedom in 2016, thirty-three others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing to Canada and the Caribbean.
Nashville, NC
55 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by Cuervosar
Just spoke with the Captain.

He said “$&#*%#*#*%” & %&#*$/#*=*#$$&()(&”

Also, “Hold my beer.”

This made me laugh! Lol.
Shalimar, FL
277 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by BallFour4
I’ll bring one too. It might hold, but that’d be a fluke...

+5

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruiser, Amateur Radio Operator AD5ZA, Runner, Christian, Collector & Retired. Not necessarilly in that order.

CARNIVAL PLATINUM
NCL
HAL 4 STAR
RCCL-RCI
ORIENT
USN
et al

Coming up:
04/15/18 Rotterdam, Trans Atlantic
St. Petersburg, FL
850 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
I know from a recent Carnival BtF Tour that some ships carry a spare anchor on the bow near the ship's bell, but it would require a heavy-duty crane at a port to haul it up. It was either on the Vista or the Conquest where it was pointed out to us; if the latter, then Glory should also have one available.
I believe you are referring to a spare propeller. This is found and stored on the bow of the ship near the bell & crew rec area.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Texas Gulf Coast
3,031 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by AD5ZA
+5
Took a Floridian to get that. I wanted to say "Danforth and conquer" but...

Enjoyed your states weather a couple of weeks ago, my girls ran the half-marathon at Disney.

Tight lines to ya. Caught a nice flounder and speckled trout off the pier tonight. Chartreuse Gulp and 3/8 jig slow rolling.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maine
13,352 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by jas1178
I believe you are referring to a spare propeller. This is found and stored on the bow of the ship near the bell & crew rec area.
Some ships carry a spare propeller, some a set of propeller blades, if they use a variable pitch propeller, and some carry spare anchors.
33 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Wow lol I was on the ship. It really wasn’t as bad as everyone makes it sound. The only way we were affected was that we arrived in Grand Turk a couple hours late but they let us stay late so we got all of our time there. The captain kept in constant contact with the guests informing them of any updates. Other than that, It was business as usual. We were told by the cruise director that it was a mechanical error that caused the anchor to release, it was not human error.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Vista {Western Caribbean} March 2019
Carnival Glory {Eastern Caribbean} March 2018
Carnival Imagination {Baja Mexico} September 2017
RCCL Liberty of the Seas {Western Caribbean} April 2017
Atlanta, GA
2,407 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
No, it was clearly a spare anchor. We were informed it weighed around ten+ tons. That's a tad excessive for a prop.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic, 10/07/2018 -- great itinerary and a new ship class to explore!
Independence of the Seas, 2/1/2018 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, 60 bands, 4 stages!
Carnival Vista, 10/1/2017 -- with 6 friends, new ship and first time to Grand Cayman! My Cruise Critic Review
Independence of the Seas, 2/2/2017 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, third year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest 10/9/2016 -- HMC (missed), Amber Cove and Grand Turk.My Cruise Critic review
Independence of the Seas, 2/04/2016 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, second-year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest, 10/12/2015 -- Nassau, HMC (missed) and Grand Turk -- Columbus Day escape
Liberty of the Seas, 1/22/2015, 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, my first time and it was amazing!
Carnival Freedom, 10/13/2014, HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau -- two faves and one meh port
Carnival Victory, 10/14/2013, HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk -- good inexpensive getaway!
Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1933799
Carnival Liberty, 9/29/2012, HMC (missed), St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk -- great 7-day itinerary! Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721966
Carnival Imagination, 1/30/2012, Key West, Cozumel -- birthday cruise and mom's anniversary cruise! Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=96886
RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, 10/25/2010, Nassau, Key West, Cococay -- first cruise and hooked on cruising!
Maine
13,352 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
No, it was clearly a spare anchor. We were informed it weighed around ten+ tons. That's a tad excessive for a prop.
Well, the relatively small propeller on my tanker weighs 17 tons. Even the Titanic's propellers were 38 tons each, and the largest propellers in the world, on the Emma Maersk and her sister ships of the Maersk Lines E-class container ships, weigh in at a whopping 131 tons. Most cruise ship propellers are in the 30-40 ton range.

But I do agree with you that some ships carry spare anchors.
Martins Ferry, Ohio
61 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Pictures don’t lie. The glory has a spare anchor just forward of the crew hot tubs. There is also a spare anchor chain stored in the aft of the ship.used to work on the conquest class seen it first hand
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maine
13,352 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Given the configuration of the Conquest class aft mooring stations, I don't think they are storing a spare anchor chain there. A pile of 1000' of anchor chain takes up quite a lot of space. What I think you saw was a short (60' or so) length of chain that is part of the emergency towing arrangement required on all vessels. This chain is much more resistant to chafing and wear than a mooring line or wire, and in emergency towing situations the angle the line takes from the ship to the towing vessel can vary widely and not be optimum, so they use a short length of chain at the ship, and shackle this to a towing wire or synthetic line.
Ottawa, Canada
12,078 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by Scrapninja
Wow lol I was on the ship. It really wasn’t as bad as everyone makes it sound. The only way we were affected was that we arrived in Grand Turk a couple hours late but they let us stay late so we got all of our time there. The captain kept in constant contact with the guests informing them of any updates. Other than that, It was business as usual. We were told by the cruise director that it was a mechanical error that caused the anchor to release, it was not human error.
I was also on this cruise and it did cause a bit of excitement - after leaving San Juan harbour and heading out to sea, all of a sudden noted more 'rocking' and then not moving? Captain did come on to explain the situation - did not sound too serious or that we were in any danger.

We just sat there rocking and rolling -and to be quite honest the cruise itself was a bit rocky and this was not as bad as some of the rough seas we had already experienced LOL.

We were 'stuck' for over 4 hours and things on the ship were going on as usual (dinner/comedy club/etc)...and we finally started moving after 8:30 pm - with as mentioned an adjusted stop in Grand Turk (1:30 to 7 pm)....

Glad it went smoothly and that everyone was safe and sound!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

LINK TO MY BREEZE TA REVIEW NOV 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753554
LINK TO MY LIBERTY REVIEW JAN 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1564561
LINK TO MY DESTINY REVIEW FEB 2011 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369046
LINK TO MY VALOR REVIEW JAN 2010
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1143537

Carnival Horizon TA - May 2018
Carnival Glory - March 2018
Carnival Paradise - Dec 2017
Carnival Glory - March 2017
Carnival Vista - Feb 2017
Carnival Vista TA - Oct 2016
Carnival Splendor - Feb 2016
Carnival Triumph - Nov 2015
NCL Epic TA - Oct 2014
Carnival Liberty - May 2014
Carnival Dream - Jan 2014
Carnival Ecstasy - Dec 2013
Carnival Sunshine TA - Nov 2013
Carnival Breeze TA - Nov 2012
Carnival Liberty - Jan 2012
Carnival Destiny B2B - Feb 2011
Carnival Valor - Jan 2010
Carnival Glory - Nov 2008
Carnival Miracle - March 2008
Carnival Miracle - Dec 2007
Carnival Triumph - Oct 2007
Carnival Liberty - March 2007
Carnival Valor - Sept 2006
Carnival Victory - Jan 2006
Caribbean Princess - Aug 2004
Premier Big Red Boat - Dec 1990
Costa Riviera - Jan 1986
S.S. Amerikanis - Epirotiki Lines - Nov 1983
Costa World Renaissance - June 1980
St. Petersburg, FL
850 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Sorry for the confusion on my last post. Spirit class and two fantasy class carry spare propellers - Conquest is the anchor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Provo, Utah
100 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Sorry for the confusion on my last post. Spirit class and two fantasy class carry spare propellers - Conquest is the anchor.
It would make perfect sense for large ships to carry both as spares. I'm sure that neither are off-the-shelf parts. Without spares on board, loss or damage could render the ship out of service for months.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Atlanta, GA
2,407 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by chengkp75
Well, the relatively small propeller on my tanker weighs 17 tons. Even the Titanic's propellers were 38 tons each, and the largest propellers in the world, on the Emma Maersk and her sister ships of the Maersk Lines E-class container ships, weigh in at a whopping 131 tons. Most cruise ship propellers are in the 30-40 ton range.
Wow, I stand corrected, in a big way.
But I do agree with you that some ships carry spare anchors.
It was indeed in the same spot as in the photo of Glory, below. Just abaft the ship's bell and forward of the crew hot tubs....which seldom seem to be working whenever I see them.

Originally posted by Cjohiocruiser214
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic, 10/07/2018 -- great itinerary and a new ship class to explore!
Independence of the Seas, 2/1/2018 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, 60 bands, 4 stages!
Carnival Vista, 10/1/2017 -- with 6 friends, new ship and first time to Grand Cayman! My Cruise Critic Review
Independence of the Seas, 2/2/2017 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, third year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest 10/9/2016 -- HMC (missed), Amber Cove and Grand Turk.My Cruise Critic review
Independence of the Seas, 2/04/2016 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, second-year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest, 10/12/2015 -- Nassau, HMC (missed) and Grand Turk -- Columbus Day escape
Liberty of the Seas, 1/22/2015, 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, my first time and it was amazing!
Carnival Freedom, 10/13/2014, HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau -- two faves and one meh port
Carnival Victory, 10/14/2013, HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk -- good inexpensive getaway!
Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1933799
Carnival Liberty, 9/29/2012, HMC (missed), St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk -- great 7-day itinerary! Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721966
Carnival Imagination, 1/30/2012, Key West, Cozumel -- birthday cruise and mom's anniversary cruise! Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=96886
RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, 10/25/2010, Nassau, Key West, Cococay -- first cruise and hooked on cruising!