Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:39 AM.
Phoenix, AZ
212 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
John has been asking a lot about the library on the ship lately... Do you think they are going to replace them? If so what do you think they will replace them with?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Inspiration ~ 10/27/2014
Carnival Imagination ~ 04/19/2015
Carnival Imagination ~ 10/04/2015
Carnival Inspiration ~ 09/19/2016
Carnival Inspiration ~ 10/23/2017
Carnival Inspiration ~ 04/23/2018
Carnival Splendor ~ 10/27/2018

South Carolina
30,297 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
It's a shame! Some still enjoy the libraries.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
22,271 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by mykeb14
John has been asking a lot about the library on the ship lately... Do you think they are going to replace them? If so what do you think they will replace them with?

Good it's a wasted space.
San Diego
8,177 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
We use the library and so I'd be sad to see it repurposed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UP next:
Coral Princess Panama Canal December 7,2018
Oceania Insignia November 9,2019-Cuba Adventure!

400 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Oh...that makes this current librarian/previous English teacher very sad. I too noticed that JH was asking a bunch of questions about the libraries. There were many responses of folks who genuinely enjoyed the quiet escape, the selection of books, playing games, and the conversations with other readers. But there were also replies that were eyebrow raising, such as the one who said, “I don’t cruise to get smarter, I just want to have fun.” Just sad...that there are some who associate “reading” with “being smart” and “not fun”..which is a ridiculous notion and perpetuates a fallacy regarding the art of reading....(as I quietly step down from my soapbox)

And one more thing...It is the height of hypocrisy to celebrate a reading pioneer (Dr. Seuss breakfast & parade) and at the same time consider getting rid of the libraries.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
T - is it True?
H - is it Helpful?
I - is it Inspiring?
N - is it Necessary?
K - is it Kind?
Virginia/North Carolina
2,521 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I've been in a ship library once. That was when we had to meet there to go on our "Behind the Fun" tour. I've seen them just not interested in them. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they re-purposed them but I know there are a few people who do like them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Hampshire
2,518 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by riclop
Good it's a wasted space.

Uh, no it’s not. My husband and I use that space when we cruise, and we always see other people using it too. Just because you don’t use the space doesn’t mean it’s wasted.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~ Cruising Christine ~~~ Links to cruise reviews below

My past cruises:

#1: Carnival Dream / 10-25-2015 / 7 days / New Orleans, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel ***Halloween Cruise*** Read my review here
#2: Carnival Conquest / 7-2-2016 / 5 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk ***4th of July Cruise***
#3: Carnival Conquest / 7-7-2016 / 4 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Freeport ***Carnival LIVE w/ Trace Adkins*** Read my B2B review here
#4: Carnival Fascination / 11-6-16 / 7 days / San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten ***40th Birthday Cruise*** Read my review here
#5: Carnival Legend / 4-30-17 / 8 days / Vancouver, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Seattle ***Cinco de Mayo in The Last Frontier*** Read my review here
#6: Carnival Magic / 10-28-17 / 7 days / Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya ***2nd Halloween Cruise***
#7: Carnival Horizon / 4-22-18 / 7 days / Barcelona, Messina, Naples, Rome, Livorno, Marseilles ***Husband's Early 50th Birthday Cruise***

My future cruises:
#8: Carnival Imagination / 9-2-18 / 4 days / Long Beach, Catalina Island, Ensenada ***Labor Day Cruise***
#9: Carnival Conquest / 2-24-19 / 6 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Amber Cove ***10th Anniversary Cruise***
#10: Carnival Conquest / 3-2-19 / 8 days / Ft Lauderdale, Princess Cays, Grand Turk, Curacao, Aruba ***2nd B2B on Conquest***
#11: Carnival Vista / 11-30-19 / 7 days / Galveston, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay ***After-Thanksgiving Cruise***
#12: TBD ***Platinum Cruise***
Maryland's Eastern Shore
108 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Library is not a money maker.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PREVIOUS: ALL ON CARNIVAL PRIDE
2010 Port Canaveral, Freeport, Nassau
2011 Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau
2016 Canada
Riverside, California
173 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by waterwatcher
very good observation, i mean it. They are always looking for ways to increase their profits. For those who like quiet and to play games or read, I've heard of people finding bars that werent open and using that quiet space. But you have to bring your own games (deck of cards?) or books. Not sure if Carnival allows closed bars to be used that way, but it is a possible alternative.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USA
8,904 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by comiso13
very good observation, i mean it. They are always looking for ways to increase their profits. For those who like quiet and to play games or read, I've heard of people finding bars that werent open and using that quiet space. But you have to bring your own games (deck of cards?) or books. Not sure if Carnival allows closed bars to be used that way, but it is a possible alternative.
Would be very sorry to see it go. Very often take out books and leave books we brought behind
USA
8,904 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by sanmarcosman
We can be sure when the brand ambassador asks if we like something it will be history shortly thereafter.
that would be very sad and yet another reason to cruise elsewhee
1,997 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Make it a dual purpose room. Library by day, ESCAPE ROOM by night. I love escape rooms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL Allure - October 2018

Carnival Dream - March 2018
Carnival Valor - May 2017
Carnival Fantasy - November 2016
RCCL Oasis of the Seas - May 2016
RCCL Anthem of the Seas - November 2015
Carnival Freedom - May 2015
Carnival Dream - December 2014
Carnival Sunshine - February 2014
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 2013
Carnival Elation - July 2013
Carnival Triumph - July 2012
RCCL Liberty of the Seas - October 2010
Golden Princess - June 2008
Grand Princess - November 2006
Carnival Ecstacy - July 2005
RCCL Navigator of the Seas - March 2004
RCCL Voyager of the Seas - March 2001
Charleston, SC
723 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by waterwatcher
Bingo.

I like the libraries. I take my own books to read on cruises (I go to our public library the week before and check a few out), but I like going in there to play board games or just sit somewhere quiet and air conditioned to read.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Destiny: Oct. 5, 2009 Blog/Review
Carnival Fantasy: May 30, 2010 Blog/Review
Freedom of the Seas: May 8, 2011 (Honeymoon Cruise!) Blog/Review
Carnival Legend: Nov. 11, 2012 Blog/Review
Freedom of the Seas: April 20, 2014 Blog/Review
Carnival Ecstasy: Oct. 29, 2017
Carnival Magic: June 23, 2018
400 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by cynt
Make it a dual purpose room. Library by day, ESCAPE ROOM by night. I love escape rooms.

LOVE this idea!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
T - is it True?
H - is it Helpful?
I - is it Inspiring?
N - is it Necessary?
K - is it Kind?
Phoenix, AZ
212 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by cynt

That’s a great idea!’n

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Inspiration ~ 10/27/2014
Carnival Imagination ~ 04/19/2015
Carnival Imagination ~ 10/04/2015
Carnival Inspiration ~ 09/19/2016
Carnival Inspiration ~ 10/23/2017
Carnival Inspiration ~ 04/23/2018
Carnival Splendor ~ 10/27/2018

Virginia
191 Posts
Joined May 2003
Save the libraries !!! Or at least mix it w/ internet quiet space. There are still many of us that enjoy books and cruising.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Provo, Utah
100 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Originally posted by comiso13
Bean counters can mess up anything.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Erie, PA
181 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Aren't some libraries on a few ships now libraries/bars? Great place for a wine bar, with better quality wines than the typical...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Silia Symphony 5/2000
Carnival Sensation 12/2009
Carnival Miracle 6/2011
Celebrity Summit 7/2013
Carnival Pride 6/2015
Carnival Horizon 6/2018