Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:55 PM.
Louisville, KY
1,350 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
I've been watching YouTube videos getting Geared up for our Monday Victory sailing. Question- do the waiters really stop dinner service and perform/dance??? On every carnival cruise and every night? We have my time dining, that means dinner will not be synced by courses. So diners just stop being waited on, stop eating and watch their performance? I have to be missing something. I cringe when I see it happening on video and cannot imagine it live! I'm not just talking flaming Baked Alaska. This seems way more common. Oh my... tell me it isn't so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

3,853 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Yeah they did “Happy” tonight on breeze. They wore hats and these light up gloves. It wasn’t every server. My server was working.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Dream 8/26/18
Carnival Breeze 3/4/18
Carnival Triumph 9/11/17
Carnival Freedom 2/18/17
Carnival Triumph 9/12/16
Carnival Elation 2/29/16
Carnival Elation 8/31/15
Carnival Elation 7/7/14
918 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
To the OP
I see that you have three NCL cruises listed in your signature.
No dancing waiters on that cruise line.
It seems to be a thing on Carnival which goes back to the time when they were advertised as the Fun Ships.
After your cruise on the Valor, you may decide to continue with Carnival or return to NCL or try other lines such as RCCL or Princess.
YMMV
Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.
Kennett Square, PA, USA
2,349 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
When we were on Vista 8 day....song/dance 5 nights. As stated above...based on workload some waitors did not participate. Was the same time everynight. I would image if you do YTD at 7pm....you will miss it....so plan accoringly LOL
Louisville, KY
1,350 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by MJSailors
To the OP

I see that you have three NCL cruises listed in your signature.

No dancing waiters on that cruise line.

It seems to be a thing on Carnival which goes back to the time when they were advertised as the Fun Ships.

After your cruise on the Valor, you may decide to continue with Carnival or return to NCL or try other lines such as RCCL or Princess.

YMMV

Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Thank you for the well wishes! Have a carnival cruise sailing Monday and a RCCL cruise leaving march 31. But we have Loved our NCL sailing and expect we will also love these new experiences. The dancing waiter threw me though...

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Louisville, KY
1,350 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by lcpagejr
When we were on Vista 8 day....song/dance 5 nights. As stated above...based on workload some waitors did not participate. Was the same time everynight. I would image if you do YTD at 7pm....you will miss it....so plan accoringly LOL

We are late diners. 8pm or later. Sounds like we just might miss it. Thanks for the reply!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Virginia
1,176 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
It's not every night and service only stops for like 5 minutes. Cruising is all about doing things you normally wouldn't do at home. (Hairy chest competition anyone?) Just sit back and enjoy the show.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Texas
81 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Yeah, its true, they do dance. Not as bad as you may think though, actually kinda fun. I was like you at first thinking what are they doing, I want to eat. But I chilled out and went along with it, after all it is vacation, and just have fun with it.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
First Cruise, Superbowl on the Breeze 2017
Aug 12, 2017 on the Valor - Had a great time!!
Feb 4, 2018 - Superbowl on the Breeze 2018

Next: Feb 3, 2019 on the Vista
3,853 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by lcpagejr
I had YTD and saw it tonight around 7
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Dream 8/26/18
Carnival Breeze 3/4/18
Carnival Triumph 9/11/17
Carnival Freedom 2/18/17
Carnival Triumph 9/12/16
Carnival Elation 2/29/16
Carnival Elation 8/31/15
Carnival Elation 7/7/14
H-Town
787 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
It’s something we have gotten used to and come to enjoy. The waiter take a short break to perform a routine. Most times they try to get the crowd engaged and a lot of people participate. We do it because we really enjoy our wait staff and it’s all in fun. I would hate to think the wait staff is made to feel bad about performing because someone didn’t want to wait a few more minutes for their food. Yes it’s cheesy, but they work hard and want to see people have a good time. I agree with the hairy chest contest, it’s cheesy but so fun to just laugh at stuff that we don’t get to see in our every day worlds. People that don’t want to do any of those things can opt out, there are many other options for dining and always somewhere quiet on the ship for those times. I look at it like this, I don’t eat tons of food and take multiple naps, read while looking out and sitting in front of the ocean, or drink alcohol on a daily basis until I am on vacation. I relax and go with the flow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We LUV to Cruise! We LUV to Travel!

Carnival Holiday - May 2002
Carnival Celebration - May 2003
Carnival Triumph - August 2007
Carnival Conquest- August 2008
Carnival Victory - May 2009
Carnival Freedom - June 2011
Carnival Triumph - June 2014
Carnival Triumph - June 2015
Carnival Breeze - June 2016
Carnival Freedom - November 2016 - My sisters 50th birthday
Carnival Freedom - June 2017
Carnival Valor - October 2017 - My birthday cruise
Carnival Valor - November 2017 - Thanksgiving cruise
Carnival Breeze - August 2018

Upcoming cruises planned:
October 2018 - birthday cruise
November 2018 - Thanksgiving cruise
Tampa
450 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
We were on the Victory the weekend before last and they did the song and dance on two out of the three nights in the main dining room. We had the late dinner seating time 8:15.

As to your question, yes the service stops during the performance. They will announce “it’s SHOWTIME!” when it begins. Usually just at the end of the meal when most are eating dessert.

Like others have said it’s usually pretty short.

We are avid NCL cruisers but found this to be a fun, quirky difference on Carnival that we enjoyed.

If you don’t care for it and want to have some separation from the spectacle I would recommend getting a windowside table as most of the action occurs in the center of the dining room.

We actually liked it so we made sure that we got a table in the middle of the room on the last night!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/19 CCL Victory - "Invicta Ocean Voyage" Full Ship Charter - Miami, Nassau
11/18 CCL Victory - Miami, Nassau
10/18 NCL Sun - Miami, Great Stirrup Cay, Cuba, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya
9/18 MSC Seaside - Miami, Philipsburg, San Juan, Nassau
6/18 NCL Bliss - Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria BC
2/18 CCL Victory - "Invicta Ocean Voyage" Full Ship Charter - Miami, Nassau
2/18 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay

6/17 MSC Divina - Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Nassau
4/17 NCL Pride of America - Honolulu, Kauai, Maui, Hilo, Kona

2/17 CCL Victory - "Invicta Ocean Voyage" Full Ship Charter - Miami, Nassau
11/16 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
2/16 NCL Sky - Miami, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
11/15 NCL Star - Tampa, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya
2/15 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
2/14 RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
1/13 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
11/12 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
Kennett Square, PA, USA
2,349 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Originally posted by Saint Greg
I had YTD and saw it tonight around 7
We ate around 8pm every night and our show began between 8:45 and 9pm each evening . So I assumed early seating show was around 6:30-6;45.... I guess those that have early seating can get out before LOL....Our dining time was 1 hour max every evening (for 2 of us)
598 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
I had early seating on the Triumph and the Dream in January. It was at 7:00pm each night. A few times the show started right before ordering dessert, but most of the time it was after ordering dessert but before dessert was brought to the table. A couple times my table's desserts were sitting on the pedestal next to our table while they were dancing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Jubilee 6/15/02
Carnival Sensation 2/7/16
Carnival Inspiration 8/15/16
Carnival Fantasy 12/26/16
Carnival Triumph 2/9/17
Carnival Legend 5/8/17
Carnival Triumph 1/20/18
Carnival Dream 1/28/18
-------------------------------------------------
Carnival Sunshine 2/10/19
Carnival Valor 12/30/19
Enosburg Falls, VT
20,034 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Yes, they do dance (in our experience not every night) but even with the dance routine thrown in dinner rarely takes more than an hour and a half. We traveled with two 5 year olds and a 2 year old on Pride last week and they loved getting up to dance with the wait staff.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888
CCL Glory W. Caribbean November 2017 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=600224
CCL Pride Bahamas February 2018 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=612050

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
Michigan
343 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
They don't necessarily dance every night, and yes, it does slow down or stop the service. When it comes to Carnival cruisers, I seem to be in the minority in that I'm not really a fan of it. I do YTD and usually go early and hopefully miss it, but it does happen in YTD too. That's the great thing about cruising--whatever I like I can find, and what I'm not fond of, but what others like, I can find a way to avoid.
USA
9,973 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
They will do it most nights. We typically have early seating and they will do it right about dessert time. Some of the waitstaff enjoy it and some go thru the motions.

After seeing it on many cruises does get a bit boring.
North Carolina
2,251 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
We're with you Naxer, we are not fans of it at all but like you said, apparently we're in the minority. So be it. Just have to wait it out, that's all we can do. Not going to kill us or ruin our cruise, that's for sure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
433 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Sometimes it's just the worst timing, like when you've just gotten your dessert menus and you just want to order and eat your WCMC and get on with your evening. At these times it seems like the shenanigans last over half an hour.

We tolerate it, but tend to think it's a successful evening if we can get out of MDR before it starts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises Booked
12/02/2019, Carnival Valor, WESTERN CARIBBEAN, 5 Days
05/24/2019, Celebrity Millennium, ALASKA NORTHERN GLACIER TOUR 7 Days
11/25/2018, Carnival Dream, WESTERN CARIBBEAN, 7 Days

Past Cruises
12/10/2017, Carnival Dream, WESTERN CARIBBEAN, 7 Days
01/03/2017, Carnival Dream, WESTERN CARIBBEAN, 5 Days
08/06/2016, Carnival Triumph, WESTERN CARIBBEAN, 5 Days
11/15/2015, Carnival Dream, EASTERN CARIBBEAN, 7 Days
12/19/2013, Carnival Elation, COZUMEL, 4 Days
07/08/2012, Carnival Conquest, WESTERN CARIBBEAN, 7 Days
1998 Commodore Enchanted Isle, WESTERN CARIBBEAN, 7 Days
Louisville, KY
1,350 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Appreciate the responses. Glad to know many enjoy it! Agree, a cruise is what you make of it...

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature