Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:49 AM.
The Motor City
938 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
First off, no one said "Hey, stop eating, and watch the dancers"...LoL So you may to continue to eat if you wish. Secondly in our experience, we have noticed that they will serve a course, and right after then start the dancing. This way minimal waitering/waitessing is needed. So with that said, sit back relax and enjoy the dinner and show.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Valor 6/30/13 Southern Caribbean *sailed*
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 6/30/2012 Eastern Caribbean *sailed*
NCL Pearl 6/12/10 Alaska *sailed*
Carnival Miracle 7/3/2005 Western Caribbean *sailed*
1,782 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Someone said not as bad as you think. I think it is twice as bad as you think. Watch their souls dying in their eyes as some of them dance. This really is a degrading pony show that the staff clearly hates. It is very evident. Then we all start spinning our napkins in the air just to make sure Norovirus has the best possible chance.
Louisville, KY
1,350 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by asalligo
Someone said not as bad as you think. I think it is twice as bad as you think. Watch their souls dying in their eyes as some of them dance. This really is a degrading pony show that the staff clearly hates. It is very evident. Then we all start spinning our napkins in the air just to make sure Norovirus has the best possible chance.

This. Honestly watching the videos, it felt a human rights violations against the dancing waiters! I struggle to imagine they want to perform. Of course it will not ruin my first carnival cruise since the 80s and I'm a pretty go with the flow kind of person, it simply didn't feel right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Louisville, KY
1,350 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by Alaskan Joe
First off, no one said "Hey, stop eating, and watch the dancers"...LoL So you may to continue to eat if you wish. Secondly in our experience, we have noticed that they will serve a course, and right after then start the dancing. This way minimal waitering/waitessing is needed. So with that said, sit back relax and enjoy the dinner and show.

Ha! Permission accepted!! I have MYD so assuming courses aren't in any way synced. Honestly, my personal inconvenience is the least of it. I hated it for the wait staff when watching it on video... like another poster said, felt a bit like a pony show for the paying patrons.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USA
9,944 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
the napkin twirling is really gross. Amazing that they allow this or even promote this.
Florida (WI native!)
591 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Sailed Carnival a few weeks ago after having sailed NCL for the past 6 cruises (but having sailed Carnival prior to that). We must really have gotten used to dining on NCL, because the dancing waiters threw us for a bit when they started. Kinda corny, though it didn't really bother us. We kept enjoying our dessert and were luckily seated near a window, away from the action.

For what it's worth, the staff seemed to be having a good time. We thought it was maybe a team bonding experience for them more than anything.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up!

Past cruises:
Carnival Glory - February 2018 (Exotic Eastern itinerary!)

NCL Sky - June 2016 (Girls' getaway!)
NCL Escape - January 2016 (Cruising with friends!)
NCL Escape - November 2015 (U.S. public inaugural sailing!)
NCL Epic - January 2015 (Review of our second sailing of the Epic!)
RCCL Independence of the Seas - February 2014 (Honeymoon cruise!)
NCL Epic - January 2013 (Engagement cruise!)
NCL Sky - September 2011 (Introducing my parents to cruising!)
Carnival Inspiration - March 2011 (Spring break!)
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - April 2010 (High school friends cruise!)
Carnival Fantasy - January 2002 (Escaping winter!)
Carnival Imagination - April 1998 (First-ever cruise!)
Enosburg Falls, VT
19,990 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by LostPuppy
Nothing says "Five Star dining" like the wait staff dancing on their serving stations.....
LOL, CCL is far from 5 star dining (as are both RCI and NCL).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888
CCL Glory W. Caribbean November 2017 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=600224
CCL Pride Bahamas February 2018 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=612050

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
Bullhead, Arizona, USA
5,983 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by Greggy_D
It was cute the first time I saw it..................in 1990.

Can't stand it now.
EXACTLY . . . now, I just try to avoid it and get out, even foregoing desert if necessary. It's a true dog'n'pony show. I'm embarrassed for them now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gary

Question with boldness . . hold to the truth . . . speak without fear.
LIMITED government . . . INDIVIDUAL freedom . . . FREE markets

Cruise Pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wearyeagle/sets/

Current cruise coming up SPLENDOR February 24, 2018
Carnival Breeze - Cozumel,Belize,Honduras
Carnival INSPIRATION X2 - can't beat these prices, folks. Gotta do it again.
Carnival IMAGINATION X3- Ensenada, Catalina again
it never gets old. (26 miles across the sea)
PRINCESS STAR - Alaska, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, B.C.
Carnival MIRACLE X3- So Caribbean, Grand Turk, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba and Mexican Riviera
Carnival SPLENDOR X 3 - Mexican Riviera BF & AF, sister of the Costa CONCORDIA
Carnival SPIRIT lower Mexican Riviera, Acapulco,Zihuantenejo/Ixtapa,Manzanillo
Carnival VICTORY X 2 Halifax, Nova Scotia - Cozumel, Panama, Montego Bay

Carnival LEGEND - Eastern Caribbean
Carnnival PRIDE X 2 Mexican Riviera PLATINUM !
Carnival GLORY X 2 Western Caribbean & Eastern Caribbean
Carnival ELATION X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival JUBILEE X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival TROPICALE X 3 Mexican Riviera
NCL SEAWARD Western Caribbean
PACQUET LINES (French ship disaster) LA to Vancouver
Charlotte, NC
541 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I guess we all see what we want to see. In my experience the vast majority of the servers were having an absolute ball! On a cruise with friends who were cruising for the first time, the 'show' started and our waiter was getting into it so much that we were all falling over in our chairs from laughing so much.

I have looked around and noticed that there are those who may not be quite into it, but when I have taken the time to really pay attention, due to statements like this, I have found that the vast majority do seem to be having a good time, especially if those around them are enjoying it and singing, clapping, etc. along.

And that last night.... gets me every time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2,127 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
I’ve never experienced it on any of my RCCL and NCL cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regent Sun February 1995
Carnival Ecstasy 2/7/2000
Carnival Destiny 12/9/2001
Carnival Spirit 11/16/2002
Carnival Victory 9/6/2004
Carnival Triumph 1/6/2007
RCCL Independence of the Seas February 2014
RCCL Oasis of the Seas February 2015
NCL Getaway January 2017
NCL Getaway January 2018
Carnival Breeze March 2, 2019
Carnival Magic April 11, 2020
Olney,MD
1,779 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Alaskan Joe
I'd mostly agree with this, except for a couple of times, the wait staff brought the meals out to serve, set them down at the stations, and then jumped into the the absurdity thats called "entertainment and dancing", then brought the meals after they were done.
Jersey Shore
519 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Qchell
I guess we all see what we want to see. In my experience the vast majority of the servers were having an absolute ball! On a cruise with friends who were cruising for the first time, the 'show' started and our waiter was getting into it so much that we were all falling over in our chairs from laughing so much.

I have looked around and noticed that there are those who may not be quite into it, but when I have taken the time to really pay attention, due to statements like this, I have found that the vast majority do seem to be having a good time, especially if those around them are enjoying it and singing, clapping, etc. along.

And that last night.... gets me every time.
Totally agree. Some of the servers have some great moves and really look like they enjoy showing them. I’ve never noticed anyone as miserable as some claim to have but I have noticed some just aren’t as secure dancing as others. I find it a fun unique experience.

I tear up every time on that last song!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Pride - 6/2014
Carnival Freedom - 2/2011
Carnival Dream - 2/2010
Carnival Triumph - 2/2009
355 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Nothing says "F̶i̶v̶e̶ Two Star Dining" like the wait staff dancing on their serving stations.....
Originally posted by sparks1093
LOL, CCL is far from 5 star dining (as are both RCI and NCL).
Fixed it!
Iowa
483 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
And on the final evening, they sing the song about "Your bags are packed, it's time to go..." "leaving OUR fun ship...when will you be back again?"

I hate that - it makes me realize vacation is ending.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Dream, 9/2017
Carnival Glory, 5/2016
Carnival Dream, 3/15/2015
Carnival Legend, 6/2013 [Mediterranean]
Carnival Conquest, 10/2012
Carnival Liberty, 6/2012
Carnival Legend, 3/15/2009
Carnival Fantasy, 3/17/2008
Cunard's original Queen Elizabeth, 5/1967
Louisville, KY
1,350 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Nothing says "Five Star dining" like the wait staff dancing on their serving stations.....

This is cracking me up! Post of the day!!!!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Louisville, KY
1,350 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by bar1068
I'd mostly agree with this, except for a couple of times, the wait staff brought the meals out to serve, set them down at the stations, and then jumped into the the absurdity thats called "entertainment and dancing", then brought the meals after they were done.

Ugh. I'm sure that happens- but it's showtime!! Just don't get it. Maybe time has passed this tradition by???

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Baja, Mexico
236 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Do they do the singing and dancing on 4 night cruises out of Long Beach, CA? We are on the Inspiration in August and my grandson would love it.

Thanks
Dallas, TX
257 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by MJSailors
To the OP
I see that you have three NCL cruises listed in your signature.
No dancing waiters on that cruise line.
It seems to be a thing on Carnival which goes back to the time when they were advertised as the Fun Ships.
After your cruise on the Valor, you may decide to continue with Carnival or return to NCL or try other lines such as RCCL or Princess.
YMMV
Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.
RCCL is now doing a little waiter dancing...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature