Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:56 AM.
Leander TX
1,871 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
I agree with many that it's kind of corny after you've seen it enough times... but this next cruise we're bringing my 9 YO grandson... who loves to dance! I can see the waiters having a ball getting him up dancing, and I'm sure he'll love it!

John Heald hit it on the head this morning when he asked about the waitstaff dancing... most enjoy it, because they want their passengers to smile and have some fun... and hopefully garner some more tips in the process!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Vista Family Cruise - Jun 15/2019
Carnival Breeze - Sep 17/17 My Review https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2552201
Carnival Magic - Oct 2014 My Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127532
Carnival Paradise - Jul 2012 My Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674471
Carnival Sensation - Feb 2010
Carnival Inspiration - Feb 2008
Carnival Inspiration - Aug 1998
Big Red Boat - Feb 1996
Carnival Carnivale - Mar 1988
2,780 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Bookster99
RCCL is now doing a little waiter dancing...
NCL has the washy washy singing girls with guitar.
California
1,416 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
It wouldn't be Carnival without the cheesy dining room dances.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SAILED:
Carnival: 13 (90 Days)
Celebrity: 4 (28 Days)
Holland America: 1 (22 Days)
Norwegian: 2 (17 Days)
Princess: 2 (15 Days)

UPCOMING:

532 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
It is super cheesy but definitely not a big deal....not per say my type of thing but it sure makes my 7 year old happy and seems to put a smile on many others faces as well...so certainly no harm done and like others stated its a 5 minute thing so doesn't effect the meal with any significance....but as others stated there are lots of cheesy things on a cruise and to best enjoy your cruise you need to be able to let your hair down and just enjoy....so good luck to you !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Splendor - 2018
Royal / Freedom of the Sea's - 2017
***Took a decade off...got married, bought a house and had a kid
Carnival / Elation - 2007
Carnival / Pride - 2006
***Cruised as a child but do not recall specifics
mansfield, tx
3,297 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I think the dancing is fun most of the time, but there have been times when I'm just not in the mood. I think what has made it enjoyable is going with someone who is new to cruising and they get all excited and dance as well. It's fun to see them enjoying themselves. But, yeah, sometimes the timing can interfere with the flow of service for just a few minutes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Vista 5/25/19
Carnival Magic 5/5/18 - 7441 balcony
Regal Princess 11/6/16 - M311 balcony Thank you, Imperial Sugar!!
Carnival Freedom 4/30/16 - 9209 interior
Carnival Breeze 9/26/15 - 7441 balcony
Carnival Freedom 5/16/15 - 9204 interior handicap
Carnival Magic 1/25/15 - 8409 balcony
Carnival Glory 9/06/14 - 1056 balcony
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas 9/15/12 - 12710 balcony
Carnival Liberty 11/05/11 - 9246 balcony
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas 9/18/10 - window
Carnival Liberty 7/10/10 - 7246 interior
Carnival Conquest 8/2/09 - 9250 balcony
Carnival Valor 7/13/08 - 9235 interior
Carnival Elation 8/8/04 - R86 interior
Carnival Jubilee 6/23/03 - U93 window
www.facebook.com/deannamcs
Louisville, KY
1,278 Posts
Joined Jun 2016

I'm on Harmony of the Seas end of March. I will have to report back on the dancing wait staff comparisons!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oklahoma
1,501 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
If dancing waiters offend you, Carnival cruising is not for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
4/6/14: Carnival Magic ~Montego Bay, Cozumel~
4/26/15: Carnival Magic ~Key West, Freeport, Nassau~
10/4/15: Carnival Magic ~Cozumel, Belize, Roatan~
1/25/16: Carnival Freedom ~Progreso, Cozumel~ Turned GOLD!
4/10/16: Carnival Splendor ~Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk~
8/28/16 Carnival Dream ~Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan~

2/25/17 Carnival Freedom ~Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel~
10/29/17 Carnival Dream ~Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel~

Up Next:
Celebrating us both turning 40 this year with a week at Disney World followed by:

Also coming up:
Carnival Breeze 4/6/19 (Our 20th wedding anniversary cruise and 1st leg of our 1st B2B!)
Carnival Breeze 4/13/19 (2nd leg of our 1st B2B and turning PLATINUM!)
Carnival Conquest 12/28/19 (First NYE Cruise!)
Carnival Freedom 4/11/2020

3,056 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Uptown funk tonight

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze 3/4/18
Carnival Triumph 9/11/17
Carnival Freedom 2/18/17
Carnival Triumph 9/12/16
Carnival Elation 2/29/16
Carnival Elation 8/31/15
Carnival Elation 7/7/14
Michigan
134 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
In case anyone was wondering, in June 1990 the dancing waiter song de jour was "Hot Hot Hot" by Buster Poindexter.

The waiters formed a conga line and the entire damn dining room joined in. It was fun though.

This was on the Carnivale so there weren't as many people onboard as there are today.
Louisville, KY
1,278 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by watermelonqueen99
If dancing waiters offend you, Carnival cruising is not for you.

To be clear, I didn't say they offend ME, my point is that I hate it for THEM. It feels to me like a pony show and totally inappropriate. Wait on me, ok, that's your job. Dance for me, just no??? Sorry, I've only watched it on video but found it an inappropriate ask of a wait staff. You may be right about a Carnival cruise, but I remain open minded. Still, not sure what that has to do with it...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Louisville, KY
1,278 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by Greggy_D
In case anyone was wondering, in June 1990 the dancing waiter song de jour was "Hot Hot Hot" by Buster Poindexter.

The waiters formed a conga line and the entire damn dining room joined in. It was fun though.

This was on the Carnivale so there weren't as many people onboard as there are today.

Relic of time gone by???

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Hampshire
2,518 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by L1211
To be clear, I didn't say they offend ME, my point is that I hate it for THEM. It feels to me like a pony show and totally inappropriate. Wait on me, ok, that's your job. Dance for me, just no??? Sorry, I've only watched it on video but found it an inappropriate ask of a wait staff. You may be right about a Carnival cruise, but I remain open minded. Still, not sure what that has to do with it...

The waiters seem to have a ton of fun when doing it. Especially when the guests get up and dance with them. So no need to feel sorry for them.

And as far as it interrupting service: they dance to one song. Just one. Songs are what, a few minutes long? I’m sure no one is going to starve if they have to wait a few more minutes for their dinner.

Bottom line, it’s fun. Carnival is a fun line to cruise with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~ Cruising Christine ~~~ Links to cruise reviews below

My past cruises:

#1: Carnival Dream / 10-25-2015 / 7 days / New Orleans, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel ***Halloween Cruise*** Read my review here
#2: Carnival Conquest / 7-2-2016 / 5 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk ***4th of July Cruise***
#3: Carnival Conquest / 7-7-2016 / 4 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Freeport ***Carnival LIVE w/ Trace Adkins*** Read my B2B review here
#4: Carnival Fascination / 11-6-16 / 7 days / San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten ***40th Birthday Cruise*** Read my review here
#5: Carnival Legend / 4-30-17 / 8 days / Vancouver, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Seattle ***Cinco de Mayo in The Last Frontier*** Read my review here
#6: Carnival Magic / 10-28-17 / 7 days / Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya ***2nd Halloween Cruise***
#7: Carnival Horizon / 4-22-18 / 7 days / Barcelona, Messina, Naples, Rome, Livorno, Marseilles ***Husband's Early 50th Birthday Cruise***

My future cruises:
#8: Carnival Imagination / 9-2-18 / 4 days / Long Beach, Catalina Island, Ensenada ***Labor Day Cruise***
#9: Carnival Conquest / 2-24-19 / 6 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Amber Cove ***10th Anniversary Cruise***
#10: Carnival Conquest / 3-2-19 / 8 days / Ft Lauderdale, Princess Cays, Grand Turk, Curacao, Aruba ***2nd B2B on Conquest***
#11: Carnival Vista / 11-30-19 / 7 days / Galveston, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay ***After-Thanksgiving Cruise***
#12: TBD ***Platinum Cruise***
Enosburg Falls, VT
19,329 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
It's a condition of their employment. I'm sure if they hated it that much they wouldn't renew their employment contract. Same as if a passenger doesn't like the event so much that they choose to sail with a different cruise line. This is one of Carnival's signature items, I don't see it changing any time in the near future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888
CCL Glory W. Caribbean November 2017 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=600224
CCL Pride Bahamas February 2018 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=612050

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
The Motor City
772 Posts
Joined Jun 2010

I'm on Harmony of the Seas end of March. I will have to report back on the dancing wait staff comparisons!!
We were on the Oasis of the Seas 2012 and yes they did a dance night in the MDR. Our waiter however did not get into it, a real fuddy-duddy he was. It was comparable to Carnival without the napkin twirling,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Valor 6/30/13 Southern Caribbean *sailed*
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 6/30/2012 Eastern Caribbean *sailed*
NCL Pearl 6/12/10 Alaska *sailed*
Carnival Miracle 7/3/2005 Western Caribbean *sailed*
Melbourne, FL
602 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Put me down as one that doesn't care for the dancing but I'll live. Having said that, the last time we were on the Breeze we were sitting in the dining room at a two stop right next to the stairs leading to the elevated center of the dining room and a woman got up to film this extravaganza on her iPhone. Unfortunately, she put her armpit in my husband's face to do so. Gross!!!!!

Don't do that
Katy. Texas
138 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Texas Roadhouse have their servers do Line dancing every night and their restaurant is always full. So to me it’s not a big deal. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

vigator of the Seas[/IMG]